Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH slower on third party router

Options
  • 22-02-2022 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have had the 1gb FTTH for a few years now and it's worked fine. I would occasionally do a speed test, last checked at Christmas when downloading games on Xbox and was getting the full 1gb.

Recently noticed all devices in house were running at 100mb. I initially thought this an issue with my local network and maybe the link between the router the switch fell to 100mb.

Having done a number of tests today, all network adapters are seeing the 1000/1000 link speed but still unable to get more than 100mb throughput. Spoke to eir who said the ont was getting the 1gb.

So I swapped in the f2000 router instead of the tplink I've had for some time and straight away it gets the proper speed. Swap back to the tplink and it's "only" outputting 100mbs.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

When you say all network adapters are seeing the 1000/1000 link speed are you checking on the 3rd party router? Is it reporting a link speed for the WAN connection of 1000/1000 to the ONT aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It's an Archer VR600.

On the router I can't see anywhere that shows the link speed to the wan/ont. It shows the negotiation speed of the 3 remaining Lan ports as 1000Mbps and it was working previously at full speed.

The only way I could in around about way check the 4th lan port which is shared as a wan port was to use the same cable and plug it into a laptop. Laptop showed a link speed of 1000/1000. I also did this with the ont to the laptop with same result.

Just seems odd to me. When I swap in the f2000 I get the expected speeds but the tplink isn't playing ball.

I might try a factory reset on it later, was reluctant as it's got a few bits configured that I'll have to redo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Archer VR600 should have option to save config, before reset save it to be able to restore if needed.

Advanced>System Tools>Backup & Restore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Can you make sure any QOS settings are turned off on the Archer? If there's any intrusion detection or firewall options turn them off one by one and test again.

The router might be able to transfer Gb, but not be able to do that much with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input so far. I got it sorted tonight

Saved settings on router to a config file, then factory reset it. Set it up again and sure enough through put was sorted. Then applied my settings file and back down to 100mb through put. So I knew it was a setting somewhere. Disabled all firewall rules etc and tried again with no joy. Then noticed separate tab for parental controls, and on that page everything was blank as I don't use them but the parental controls were still enabled at the top which I thought odd. Disabled that and bang, problem sorted. Obvious now that I know the answer, but the process of inspecting the traffic was limiting the speed.

All sorted and thanks for the replies. Just a note to say that when restoring from the file the router still lost port forwarding rules. Kept everything else in order so not a huge deal but thought it odd.

Just on a side not. When I spoke to Eir i copped i was out of contract so renewed as it was cheaper. Then just before finishing the call I asked were they sending me a new router as a new customer would get one. They werent going to but did because I asked which is fair enough. So got the f3000 today, and went to swap it out for the f2000 that I use as an access point. Before I did i quickly googled reviews on the unit Sagemcom something or other and took me straight to other boards posts of people unable to configure the thing, as Eir have a custom build on it and you cant change the ip settings. ffs, what a joke......

Advertisement