Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State is buying half of all new homes - this has to stop!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

credit card machines are not something that can simply stay still and take any old card system from the future that isn't currently in operation.

they may require, in fact likely would require updating to work with a new card system, and it's not the job of the outlets to pay for this seeing as it the state that wants them.

fraud can happen with anything and everything, to think there wouldn't be fraud with this is naive.

anyway, it's not happening so this is all a mute discussion really.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Actually they can as any new cards are set up in the back office of the clearing house so their is no cost to the outlet. They would actually receive a commission for each trans.

I did not say fraud could not happen. I asked what fraud there would be.

It's only a mute discussion when all aspects of same have been throughly investigated.

You appear unwilling to consider alternatives to your viewpoint and expect some people to fund others lifestyle which is exactly what's happening in the housing sector and the States involvement and its impact on those who wish to purchase themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Something something jobs and something something they'd go elsewhere if they were taxed higher.

The reality is however that Ireland is worse off with companies paying effectively little to no tax based on the alleged economic activity they carry out in the State; someone pays and it is Irish society in a holistic sense as these companies don't give anything back to society other than a few sheckles to the exchequer; they don't build houses, develop infrastructure, foster small businesses etc

realistically wherever what is set up, the state is baring the cost on it and then still has to bare the other costs of what is realistically a massively expensive operation if it is to be done properly and effectively.

there is no doubt this probably has already been investigated, government will investigate all sorts of things but not necessarily make it public unlesss something comes of it or there is a possibility of something coming of it.

the choice is fund and help people who are unable to fund themselves either because they can't work or because they are unemployable and it would cost more to make them employable then to just throw them a few quid, or pick up an even more expensive tab to clean up after the realities of not having a support system in place for those who need it.

there is no alternative to the state being involved in housing people who are in need, it is the state not building it's own housing which is having the impact on home buyers rather then the state being involved in housing full stop.

when you purchase a home you take all sorts of risks, if you don't know that then you need to learn it quickly otherwise you are going to end up very disappointed and caught off gard.

+ those who purchase homes only have the right to own that home upon repayment in full of the loan, but have no more rights beyond that then those who don't purchase a home.

us home owners are not special or more entitled and people need to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Social housing. What do you want them to do in order to provide housing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

They want to government to stop buying houses so more are available for private buyers, people who are crying crippled by rent while working usually 2 jobs in the household.

They want people looking to buy to not be outbid by their own government, by their own taxes.

They don't think social housing should compete with private buyers.

I know of a few situations where the council have paid way above asking. Its not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Do you have a loking for this? Pretty sure I came across one a while ago, but cant find it... if I had kids, my advice would be to leave the country after college or put your name down on the housing list once you hit 18!

I doubt it has been considered as there would be uproar of those in receipt not receiving cash as opposed to food stamps.

It would be portrayed as removing people's choice.

I agree the State has a responsibility to house some people but the scales are tipped in favour of those the State is supporting as opposed to those the State is not supporting.

You are correct you do take a risk purchasing a property and you do learn quickly.

Homeowners and I am one don't think we are more special or more entitled. We do however think we should be treated equally, this however is not the case.

On a broader point and to bring back on topic when will people accept some responsibility for where they find themselves in life rather than expecting others to improve their situation and this includes the housing situation.

fact is it's cheaper just to throw them the cash.

home owners are treated more or less the way we should be, we are not going to be treated equally or inequally to social wellfare recipients who are in a different situation to us and who receive what they do because they meet the criteria and it is deemed they are in need of such supports.

99% of people take responsibility for their situation as much as they can, but sometimes things happen which mean that no amount of responsibility is going to get them out of the situation they are in, and that applies especially to this topic.

It's not cheaper to throw cash, it's easier in the short term but could actually be cheaper in the long term.

Home owners (or those aspiring to be homeowners) are not being treated fairly which is the point of the thread.

The State is outbidding those who want to be home owners using the very tax revenue that they have paid.

Do you not see the irony in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it were actually 99% we wouldnt be in this mess. We've a lot more than 1% creaming it.

of course we would.

we are in this mess because the state stopped building and instead are having to buy on the open market because they don't want to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

This is my view also.

Shocking that I'd agree with end of the road.

Solution. Get the Councils back building social houses and stop them outbidding private buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Completely 100% agree.

The problem is an unwillingness to change policy. Much easier to blame the members of the public and lie or peddle guesswork as to what the real problem is, the poor. The unfortunate thing for that piece of propaganda is as more and more workers become squeezed and find themselves unable to afford rent or to buy. Soon you've hard working people being ignored so the supporters of this bad policy can keep blaming a minority of unemployed people who would need be housed whether we bought or built social housing, so it's not their agenda at play.

Why are the government so eager to buy and lease? I don't know. I suspect it's to do with politicians making money off of it.

Honestly the main reason is absolute chronic laziness! It's an absolute disgrace that the council have come out and said money is irrelevant, when it comes to housing. Believe me, it is relevant when those contributing a fortune, cant afford a roof over their head!

Its like with covid, no amount of billions was enough to prevent a single death... its total lunacy... the whole rotten to the core system, will destroy itself. I'm spoiling my vote next election or voting sf, we can then see what they do. Wont be any worse than the ffg disgrace. Or for those that cant bring yourself to vote for them, spoil the vote !

We pay a fifty percent marginal rate of tax over a pittance! Appalling public transport, health service, you don't get locked up unless you commit murder, infrastructure is crap, housing a disgrace obviously... welfare payments not linked to your contributions.

The government decided to throw out money at them. The government have created this entire farce and you could go a step further and say we have ourselves to blame for tolerating this lunacy. God help ffg politicians come next election time. I wouldnt want to be canvassing or running for election if I were them. We need leaders, we get weasels...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Corporation tax has kept the show on the road for the economy over the past 3 years and provides alot of tax revenues through other taxes and vat.

The lower corporation tax rate has been hugely beneficial for Ireland, for attracting big employers. Also, alot of smaller suppliers are dependent on these corporations.

At the minute the increased building regulations and supply chain issues is making the cost of building prohibitive. It was a complete disgrace that NAMA weren't made sell their residential units individually so that individuals could avail of discount buying instead of selling development's and apartment blocks en mass to funds.

Having councils compete with 1st time buyers is not a good use of resources. Setting up some sort of state development company, which can avail of bulk discount purchasing, would seem like a sensible medium to long term strategy.

I'd agree that some of the off the shelf companies aren't contributing anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

There aren't half as many threads in this vein as there should be. The welfare system is destroying the country, yet you have a hundred threads talking about fantasy problems like human-induced climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

When you sign a rental agreement, you state that if your income increases, you will inform the council of such and it will effect your rent. If you wait 2 years then the debt is going to run up because you haven't informed them. So it was the renters fault if this happens.

• Advertisement

very few are paying a 50% tax rate.

actually some wellfare is linked to contributions depending on which payment you receive.

as for the rest, you voted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

It is. People paint this as people not paying rent at all. Just clarifying. Its a combined arrears figure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Someone on 40,000 a year is paying a near 50% marginal rate. If you go from earning 38,000 to 40,000 a year, you will only get an extra 1,030 euro. While it isn't exactly 50% marginal rate it is close enough. Are you really saying very few people are earning 40,000 a year or more?

Advertisement