Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Fibre Broadband Installation Eir

Options
  • 22-02-2022 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone had any experience similar to the below and could advise?

Current Eir customer, moving to a new home. Eir advised good news, they could do a fast install, and FTTH was available at the new property. I signed up, they told me they couldn’t do a fast install and there would be delays.

Finally KN come out and immediately discover that the duct to the property, built in 1964, is too small and can only fit copper wire. New bigger ducts needed, but not a problem as they can do it in conjunction with Eir and I’ll be sorted in no time.

Call Eir, their Service Fullfillment team also tell me not to worry they’ll work with Open Eir and sort it. Two weeks later, when KN are due to come out and start work Eir cancel my order completely.

One liner email saying there’s nothing they can do and good luck to me.

I raise a case with ComReg and finally Eir say I should lay the ducts myself and maybe they’ll get me set up then.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I always thought , that duct on private property ( unlike public) is house owner business and OpenEir has nothing to do with this, it is up to owner to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

Eir most acommodating to the customer as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

When I moved into my current house, KN found the duct was not accessible. I asked about stringing it across from a pole to the gable and they said 'no problem'. So my fibre comes in from a pole across the front garden to the gable, then down the wall and in. Ask if they can do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

That’s a great idea Deagol, and I wish it was an option. Unfortunately we don’t have any poles in the area to bring it down from, it’s all running underground.

Appreciate the suggestion though, great shout.

Hmm, only other option then I can think of is to get a guy out with a mole and see if you can install a new duct - I'm not sure what diameter internally you need but I would assume hydrodare pipe would be ok. Someone here might know better than me. Not sure how much a mole man might cost but wouldn't think it would be extortionate.

• Advertisement

I would try different ISP, small ones , Digiweb or Airwire.

They could organise it for you, you still be paying for it , but they might absorb some of the cost if you go for the long contract .

All fibre connections are done by KN on behalf of OpenEir. Doesn't make any difference which retail company you use.

It does. Small company would poke OpenEir/KN and sometimes willing to take extra mile, while Eir/Vodafone/Sky wouldn’t give a flying f**k .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

To finish up this topic.

I ended up opening up a case with ComReg who were less than useless. I’ve never come across a more tootless regulator in my life.

ComReg contacted Eir who had changed their story at this time, and were now claiming it was never a feasible install. Essentially ComReg allow the provider to conduct their own internal investigation and close complaints at their own discretion. Eir shut up shop and told me to do one.

Signed up with Virgin and they’ve been a dream ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

How difficult it is to lay a duct, would depend on your garden/driveway surface. Easy to dig a narrow trench where there is grass or cobble lock, and replace the cobbles/grass when finished.

The duct recommendations are on openeir.ie, if you find it hard to locate the larger hydrodare pipe try a co-op or builder providers in rural areas, as the larger diameter pipes tend to be used by farmers rather than residential users for their mains water pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did you get sorted with the fibre so with virgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I agree with you re Comreg. I had a problem with a telco a few months ago and, Comreg more or less told me to sort it myself.

Advertisement