Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job as a postman

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i do actually , relatively stress free , handy vehicle to drive , very predictable in terms of routine

its the kind of job you sort of need connections to get a job in , not unusual when it comes to many state jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If they are working to teatime they are either getting great overtime or starting later in the morning

postman here doesnt deliver until at least 4 pm each day

either he has an enormous round or doesnt start until all hours of the morning ?

never seen deliveries so late anywhere ive lived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Sounds great - early start and early finish five days a week. But our binmen have an even better gig. Early mornings every Thursday. Now that's the job for me.

On a serious note, couldn't do door to door unless I could pick my route. Too afraid of scobes and mad dogs (harking back to part time jobs in my early teens). So fair play to the posties and census takers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Our local postman brings a packet of biscuits with him on his round and throws some to the dogs, I've seen him do it at my home house to the 2 dogs there. His wife is a post woman too 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's how you win the dogs over, a few treats on the first rounds and pals forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

He doesn't even have to walk past the dogs because they are behind a gate and the postbox is on the pier of the wall, he still throws them in as he's sound like that ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's something I've always thought of when I get tired of my high stress civil service job.

The only caveat is that posties have an extremely high rate of back and hip problems, as well as knees. Getting into and out of the van constantly is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Nope regular 7am start, as was mentioned previously all post has to be delivered on the day, it's not a cushy number anymore esp with Ireland's ever increasing population its a tough job.

Post edited by frosty123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Then they are obv on good overtime or else they are idiots, its a 37.5 hour week and it is mostly a cushy job

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

The starting rate of pay is €558.70 per week and An Post offers access to the following:

• An Post Company Medical Scheme
    • An Post Pension Scheme
    • Paid Maternity Leave
    • Paid Paternity Leave
    • An Post Employee Assistance Programme
    • Digital gym with daily scheduled workouts
    • Secure on-site bicycle parking & Cycle to Work Scheme
    • Tax Saver Travel Pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I would've thought even factoring in increasing population post would be decreasing the last 20 or so years with bills now mostly online and no one I know my age (early 40s) bothers sending Xmas cards or postcards from holidays etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but you got an increase in commercial flyers (supervalu, specsavers etc) that have to be delivered to every address, not to mention online shopping which has quadrupled in the past few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's a good point. The amount of that crap coming through the door the last few years has definitely gone way up. I always thought it must wreck the posties head having to go to every door when most houses just throw it straight in the bin.

^^^^^^^^^

yep they hate it, one postie down our way got suspended for one week when it was discovered that he had all the flyers dumped in a wheelie bin

I'd do it if I knew the right people to get on the shortlist

^^^^^^^^^^^^

first step is to go to your local PO and ask, and they'll give you all the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just apply online when they pop up. Usually before the summer and before Christmas.

You don't need to know anyone. Canvassing isn't allowed so doesn't matter who you know.

Once you can walk, cycle and have a license you should have a decent chance.

It's always temp at the start though, that's the bitch of it. You don't get appointed until after 2 years.

You could be there for the Summer or Christmas and then gone but 9/10 times you're kept on.

Apart from the odd rainy day It's the handiest job ever. Not many perks but a few and you never work for the standard wage, there's always some extra or overtime to be had and still home early afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My Dad started working for An Post when he was 12 in the 1960s and retired at 61. When he joined it was still a public service job. He retained all the public service benefits when it became semi state in 1984, as did staff hired before then (not many of them left now imagine). It meant he always had job security. I think terms and conditions for staff have gradually been watered down since then. A lot of the staff in mail centres were on rolling contracts. They’d be hired for a few months and let go for a month or two and brought back again for another few months after service was broken. I think it’s a common enough practice in some companies these days.

The job was good to my Dad for the most part and overtime opportunities were practically limitless. One year my Dad earned more than double what I make now (I earn around the average income) but he was working around the clock for it. He was sick of the place when he retired and hasn’t given the place a second thought since he left.

I worked for An Post during the holidays as did my sister. I enjoyed my time there, the work was grand. My mother was working in a post office when she met my father so I probably owe my existence to An Post!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

As I said previously it all depends on your route - if it's a quite rural route its a handy number, but on a busy urban route it can be a 'pain in the arse' - and for a trainee that can be daunting at first.

Advertisement