Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tissot PRX: Quartz vs Powermatic 80

• 23-02-2022 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I quite like this, but not sure which movement is best.

Is the automatic movement worth the extra €330 for the same case, bracelet and finishing?

This powermatic 80 has a Nivachron hairspring rather than the higher spec silicon one of the Tissot Gentleman.

Is the waffle dial of the automatic too much of a homage of the Royal Oak?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're both homages to the royal oak style(though give me more of a Rolex oysterquartz vibe, which in turn was a RO homage so...) so they're very much of the moment. I like quartz for all sorts of reasons, more robust, more accurate, pretty much no servicing charges beyond a battery change, always ready to go. Though I far prefer unusual quartz movements that have extra thought and tech in them. Given the choice here I'd probably go for the automatic tbh. More interesting dial with the smooth sweeping seconds hand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

It's a nice looking watch. I always thought maybe a tad too big though. Apparently they are releasing a 36mm version at the start of April in different colourways. Quartz first, but I'd imagine an automatic version won't be far behind.

Post edited by Cassius99 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I like the look of it a lot and would go for the blue dial and quartz.The auto movement is great particulary with the 80hr power reserve but the waffle dial is too busy for me .it also distorts the text . The quartz dial is sunburst and much cleaner looking

That said though, if youre anti - quartz you would have to go for the auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

I think waffle finish is much nicer so went with the automatic black dial. It’s a beautiful watch but as much as I love it I do want to sell it. I couldn’t wear that watch at my job so it’s just not getting any wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

Fyi Dayt.ie stock the auto and you can get 15% off when you sign up to their newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

They don't seem to offer an official Tissot warranty, just their own.

Maybe it's not necessary for a watch of this value?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭rx8

Watchfinder did a review of both models about 2 months ago.

Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

No not at all. I don’t think the watch could be described as flashy?

The reason I don’t wear it is I have a manual job and it would be chipped and scratched. I wear a g shock for work all week and then prx for weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

What do you guys think of the new models announced? The chrono looks especially nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I love the PRX models and the chrono is a nice addition. I bought the quartz in blue when it came out and I prefer it over the automatic. I'm not gone on the waffle design on the auto but I wish the quartz had the nice date frame.

Tissot are offering some well-priced pieces lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Still deciding between the white dial chrono like above or the white dial with gold markers. Very good bang for the buck, would love if they added a thermocompensated quartz to the line up for around the 550 mark.

Advertisement