Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Davies expected to go right to the top.

Options
  • 23-02-2022 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭

I was told that Andrew Balding thinks his new 17 year old apprentice can go right to the top.

If he is right Davies who claims 7 lbs should be given a 2nd glance when riding in some big handicaps later in the season.

In the meantime his two mounts at Kempton tomorrow are worth a look in the 5.30 when he rides MAY NIGHT for his boss Balding and YUKON GOLD for Charlie Appleby in the 7.30.

Both have chances and there must be some truth to the story i was told seeing that Godolphin and Charlie Appleby have him on one of their.

Only 17 but has already won two pony racing championships.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Lets hope he's overtheline today on Modernnews 335 Doncaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

His first ride on turf today in a field the like of which he will not have seen before was probably not ideal,i did not pay much attention to him in the course of the race as i has a decent ew bet on the 2nd have put her up as a good ew bet last night.

I've done a free win bet on Crossstitch at 3-1 1330 lingfield. If it wins I'll put the money e/w on Arcadiansunrise D1 Ascot

I'm on ETONBLUE to win the first at newbury summersolstice meeting this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭gillamandango

Claim gone. You will never hear of him again. Has not really progressed as a Jockey and I actually see him a a negative now on mounts.

• Advertisement

If you say we will never hear of him again then it must be true!!,I am sure you have a lot of experience where raceriding is concerned and Harry might want to send out CVs seeking another career now that you have have passed judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

He "passed judgement" the same way you did,as in he gave his opinion. Why the arrogence?

You should have read my original comments re Davies before jumping in.

I expressed no opinion whatsoever on the ability of Harry Davies!!.

I referred to remarks passed by his boss Andrew Balding told to me by Baldings head lad.

I would not be able to judge whether or not he would be expected to go to the top.

The only arrogance I see came from the contributor you defended who stated "he will never again be heard of"

Anyone fair or objective would see that statement as nonsensical as the young lad has a strike rate better than many senior jockeys.

I didnt defend him,i simply said he was entitled to his opinion

Of course he is entitled to his opinion but his opinion of Davies (rode a well backed winner today) who has an enviable 14% strike rate and the statement that "he has not really progressed as a jockey" is at variance with the facts and to dismiss the ability of the young man in such a flippant manner without any evidence needed to be called out imo.

• Advertisement

I do not consider that my remarks were in any way arrogant,indeed i felt that my remarks were measured in the circumstances.

Your reply is there for everyone to see,i will leave it at that.people cam make their own minds up

As they always do,i find it a bit odd that you focus on my reply to a post that totally rubbishes the attempt by a young man to become proficient in a very tough sport,claims in a most crude way that he has been a failure and will never be heard of again.

Any neutral observer would agree that the contributor ignores the the very satisfactory record of Harry Davies as a young jockey and the plaudits received from highly respected racing people,utube evidence of his riding skills and very satisfactory riding stats.

You ignore all this and yet are critical of my reply to a post that has not got one shred of truth or credibility.

I do agree with your comment that people will make their own minds up.

I hit a nerve, that's ok. However, and you will agree without having to say it here, that you pick up anything you perceive as a negative as always seen as something it is not.

My comment was not about how he may not get to the top, more about how his career has stalled, while his rival last year seems to be making better strides.

I have followed Harry since your post. He was 'great' when he had a claim, had many steering jobs due to this, but now that his USP is gone, he will become a journeyman and possibly change careers very soon. So get off your high horse accusing me of arrogance. My opinion is based on 2 years following him and his rides.

Unfortunately that is the game, even Balding is phasing him out and dropping him. I left it a month to see how he got on. He's off to Haydock this week I see, and not a Balding ride in sight. I wish him well, but sport is about the now and can be cruel, let's see in 6 months how he gets on.

You must be delusional.

Your 3 line statement read" claim gone you will never hear of him again"

And now you suggest he may change careers without a shred of evidence to support such a silly claim.

What evidence have you that we will never hear of him again and that he may change careers?

None I would imagine and yet you advance the claim here as if it had some credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I wish him the best but an average jockey IMO

Nice little touch for Harry today riding the winner of the big handicap in Ascot.Gave the winner Atrium a great ride and earned a handy £9,200 for his trouble.

Ouch. Hope you got your cut.

You are the biggest flute on a forum, your way or no way. You have no clue who I am, yet you post as if you are Harry’s dad/mother/non-binary. Some day I will call you out personally when you talk bollocks. You know what I am talking about and it’s not recent. I made an opinion, Harry just so happened to time it right with a few lucky winners! Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I won’t reply any further as you have no intention of listening to anyone but yourself. You are just an oxygen thief.

Keep posting those winning bet slips, but don’t forget to tell the wife/partner or whoever can tolerate you, about the losses. No doubt you think you kill it. Enjoy your own personal Boards.ie forum, which is what this section appears to be.

I have forgotten more about racing than you will know in your lifetime. I wondered if you are a degenerate gambler or have actual any skin in the game. That thought lasted a second. I have had horses for 20+ years, one incidentally that beat Flagship Uberalles, and currently have a few with Dylan Cunha and Dan Skelton.

Dont reply as I will never frequent this section of boards again.

You are not allowed to disrespect the great zimmermania,how dare you!

• Advertisement

Abusive chatter from you proves nothing,i do not care who you are and you will not dictate whether or not i reply to your post or indeed any post.

If you are unable to comment without using normal language and have to resort to a vulgar diatribe i understand but some people may be offended by such infantile dummy spewing.

I will not report your vulgar post but i do hope the mods will request that you refrain from the use of uneccessary,schoolboy vulgarity when you wish to differ with a persons views.

FLAGSHIP UBERALLES,what a horse.

I think he had 4 or 5 different trainers during his career which ended around 2004 or 5.

You telling us you once had a horse that beat him is as relevant to the discussion about Harry Davies as me saying "there is a man in wexford who has a dog"

Flagship Uberalles raced for too long and was only a shadow of his former self when floundering around at the end of his racing career.

I have no idea why you told that had a horse that beat him maybe 20 years ago and I am now thinking is it possible perhaps that you are stuck in a time warp?

Not a bad day for young Davies today,went to Chelmsford for 3 rides.

First one 3rd beaten 2 necks when 2 to 1 fab,may have been unlucky as attheraces reported that the horse clipped heels.

2nd at 22 to1 on the second ride.

Won at 9 to 2 on 3rd ride on a horse that had never won in 20 races,Harry rode the horse for the first time tonight.

Two rides for 18 year old Harry today at Newcastle results in two winners

NON-RUNNER

Harry rides one from 2 yesterday 7 to 1 winner and just rode Intervention to win at 14 to1.

I put Intervention up as one to keep an eye on some months ago and now he has won two in a row,I think Harry is on 49 for the year and around 13% which is a very healthy strike rate for the 18 year old.

Advertisement