Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherited a bus, options to make a business out of it

Options
  • 23-02-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Right or wrong section to post this I am not sure, I have very unexpectedly inherited a 2010 Scania 57 seater single deck bus. It's almost comical that I actually have this random piece of machinary and my immediate intension was to sell it... However before I sell it maybe I could keep it and turn it into a Dublin tour bus or rent it out or something ? Maybe I should try make abit of money out of it before getting rid of it. The bus was only recently tested before xmas so should be mechanically fit. it's parked up in a yard currently and will have to make arrangements to move it somewhere else. I am told the bus is worth between 17k to 19k if I wanted to sell it.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ha! What a gift! 😋

I don’t know much about the tourist market but I’d say there’s a lot of buses sitting idle around the country with experienced operators/ business owners tearing their hair out.

Why not turn it into a camper bus? If you’re good with your hands, you could turn it into a 5/6 berth holiday home. Then either rent it out or sell it for €50k+.

Good luck to you! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I suppose , question 1 - have you a bus licence ? Or will you need to pay someone to drive it ?

2 , have you somewhere to keep it, base it?

3, have you the time to run a side business ?

The bus , has value- and costs , insurance ,parking ,maintenance , depreciation - and that's before it does a single job ..

The safest option would be flog it , and invest the money into something , ( either something you know ,or just something safe )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I may be completely wrong, but 17-19k seems very very cheap for a supposedly working Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Maybe maybe not, I really don't know but the guy who owns the yard that is storing the bus right now gave me that figure.

I don's have a bus license, I don't have anywhere to store it just yet. I could possibly make the time to run a side business.

I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about buses at all to tell you the truth. The only thing I know is how to board one pay for a ticket and sit down....

If I made a few phone calls and found a company prepared to rent it off me and store it at their own location then I would probably do that and make a few bob. Would I be responsible for the maintenance and repairs though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I would sell it.

If you think there's a possible business opportunity for you in running a bus business down the line I'd use the 17k to 19k to set up that new business and do a deal with local bus firms initially to use their buses and drivers.

First thing I have to do is find somewhere to store it as the owner of the yard wants it out of there as soon as possible. Could have been worse I could have ended up with a double decker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your running a bus for hire yourself you need an operators license, to get that you need a transport manager which is a course & exams you can do yourself but adds to costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'd sell it.

And it's worth a lot more than€17k

Here's another similar - starting bid €28500

https://www.truck1.ie/buy/buses/suburban-buses/scania-century-a6104782.html

I didnt check the mileage on my bus, I will be going up to it later today to have a poke around on it, few phone calls have been made and I may have a place to store it and someone to drive it out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would sell it ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As above, selling it on is a no brainer.

The used machinery/vehicles market has never been more expensive than now.

Running a bus based business has lots of expensive overheads and it's a tough competitive climate.

Advertisement