Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel fencing: Can the wooden panel be higher than the cement post?

Options
  • 23-02-2022 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm looking to create a bit more privacy between my house and the house next door. I have panel fencing in already, with 1.5m high panels, So first off, i'd replace those with 1.8m ones. I'm wondering if it would also be possible to add in another gravel board too , which would give another 30cm or so or height. That would mean the wooden panel would be higher than the concrete posts (by about 40 cm or so) . Would that be a problem or not? Visually it might look a bit odd, but i plan to grow a an ivy on it. Thanks in advance for any advice,

Teacosy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Cant see any issues here, but id consult with neighbours if it affects them. A gravel board and a 30cm higher panel will be 60cm (2ft.) higher. Wont look great, also consider how deep the posts are in ground, 60cm higher is quite a lit of wind resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Ivy will help cover it if it looks piecemeal but I'd say it to your neighbour first just in case it will look weird from their side. Also, you might just be using ivy as a general term, but it might be nicer to grow something on it that flowers, it might look nicer :) I'm personally not a huge fan of regular old ivy, just a bit boring (although pigeons in my garden seem to love the winter fruits on the few that have turned into a hedge like structure)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to think that 30cm extra would probably be enough; in other words, just get new longer panels. Its hard to visualise the extra height. 30 cm seems so little when you're looking at a measuring tape - but it probably is sufficient when it's the difference between being able to see across the fence and then not being able to.

Re the ivy - yes, id be considering something with a bit of colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

If you're asking re: planning permission, you can go up to 2m normally (unless there are particular conditions applicable)

Advertisement