Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental prices v NI

Options
  • 23-02-2022 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I know this has been discussed many times and there are risks to not using local dentists in case of problems with the work completed but hoping to get any advise or opinions from anyone who can help.

I need to get 4 front teeth crowns. It was 5 to replace one that has a filling but I’ve now been advised that I shouldn’t crown one of the teeth and will need an implant or bridge on that tooth. I’m in the process of whitening the other teeth to prepare for getting crowns. The crowns will cost me 4400 plus a night guard then at 450. The bridge at a later date will cost approx 2k. It’s all so expensive. I like the dentist and it’s local to me but can’t help thinking I should get another price and whether I should look at Northern Ireland. Doing a quick Google search the prices seem nearly half the price of what I’m getting quoted and it’s not like I’d be leaving the country, just an hour or two drive away.

Has anyone any similar experiences ?

Comments

I've asked for my account to be closed but I've logged in to offer my advice on this. I live on the southside of Dublin, and five years ago I got fed up with the rates being charged by dentists here and went to a dentist in Newry. I get basic cleaning and checking done here, but I get any actual remedial work (which has included a number of crowns, root canals and composite fillings) done in the North. It's been absolutely fine, and I'd recommend it to anyone. As for the risks, in the case of the North the risk is the same as it is on the southside of Dublin, except maybe for the longer drive. My own dentist is good, but to be honest if you do a Google Maps search you'll find a choice of dental practices, and most of them have websites where you can check prices. I have saved thousands of euro in the last five years.

Also, my impression (speaking strictly as a lay punter) is that dentists in the North are a bit more conservative than those in the South. So not only are the prices lower, but sometimes they will also recommend a less radical - and therefore less expensive - approach to your problem.

Unless Boris Johnson and Jeffrey Donaldson put a tariff on me bringing my teeth over the Border I'm carrying on with this.

EDITED TO ADD: I know several people who all attend a couple of different practices in Newry, and all of them would say the same as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lo d

Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. Seems like it would definitely be worth my while to make a consult in Newry and at least get some prices and their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

Any Newry recommendations of places for full arch implant? Thanks

Advertisement