Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get qualified to teach level 4/5?

Options
  • 24-02-2022 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm wondering what qualifications are required to be able to teach level 4/5 PLC/FETAC accredited courses? currently I have a level 6 advanced certificate in software development, a level 6 higher certificate in computing and after this year will have a level 7 in computer science. I plan on getting my level 8 in computer science too but would be interested in trying to get involved in an education role before that if possible. I've heard the train the trainer is no good for what I'm looking for and also that it is very difficult to get a job in further education.

I'd appreciate any advice as to what route I can (if possible) take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ismisetoo

I'm not sure at this stage, because the ETB's are starting to employ tutors rather than teachers now, which means they can get away with paying them much lower wages and making them work longer hours and a longer year. So be careful what you are getting into. Your best bet would be to contact any ETB, and/or the Teaching Council and ask them. I worked in FE for forty years but I had my H Dip. Colleagues of mine who came in from industry did a teaching qualification for teaching adults through the local IT.

It's changing all the time so who knows at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

There is a number of FE teaching programmes ran in Maynooth - from crossing paths with some trainers there are a lot of ex secondary teachers who side stepped into the FE arena. I would expect most places will require a level 7 honours degree minimum.

Advertisement