Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem removing bottom bracket from a Mountain bike, Carerra, circa 2005, threaded shell

Options
  • 24-02-2022 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a DIY person and used to have no problem with the old bikes repairs pre 1990, ( showing my age now ! )

Anyway, trying to remove the bearings from my sons mountain bike. Its the type with the 20 internal teeth...

Bought the tool, fits fine, turning it the correct way too, lol, it just wont budge, Used a hammer on it too ,

gently to give it a nudge, no joy, I need to put some wd40 on it over night I know, but something tells me that

ain't going to move it, do I need heat? More mussel, longer spanner, any hints are welcome

thanks folks

r.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

steel or aluminium frame ? had the problem on an old aluminium mtb frame and basically the steel had welded to aluminium. used brute force but it took out enough threads that a few years later it wouldn't hold a BB any more.

never tried heat -may have been a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Heat would be the goto for me, but watch your paintwork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

The right hand (chainring) side usually has a left hand thread so you turn clockwise to unscrew.

PS As mentioned above, sometimes they are almost impossible to remove. The last time I removed one, the tool kept slipping. I used an old small front axle and washer and nut to thread into bb spindle as a bolt to hold tool firmly and used a large plumbers stillson to loosen.

Do you really need to remove? Turn bike on side and try to oil the bearing..... Light oil often will get thru the seal and will clean and flush by turning spindle at same time. Repeat other side. Worth a try, worked for me several times..... Plastic cupped bottom brackets have advantage in that they can be broken out...Its easy to cross thread alloy frame when installing new bottom bracket if not careful.

Post edited by Joe1919 on

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Thanks for the comments. Think it's aluminium frame. It's quite light. Insert is steel, so I've a job on my hands, bloody bikes, !

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

if you can extend the length of your wrench with an old seatpost or similar for more torque and even stand on it then. If there is an issue that the tool wont stay in due to the force used then you can use a Quick release skewer to keep the tool in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement