Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 64 restore and upgrades

Options
  • 24-02-2022 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭

Took out my childhood C64c for some attention today. I'd a cap kit here for it, a new Zylog psu, an sd2iec board, and an epyx fastloader cart to try too.

It needs a good clean, and some retrobrite treatment, but I'll get to those next time.

I found one leaky cap, cleaned with IPA. I know the screen is stretched to 16:9 too, but it's really just to test and check everything.

The sd2iec works amazingly well, made even better with the fastloader. The shell @Steve X2 printed for me is milimieter perfect, couldn't have asked for more. Quality is top notch (as always with Steve's stuff).

The fastloader originally has the reset button facing onto the pcb. I wanted it hidden and almost flush at the back of the cart, so Steve was able to accomodate this in the cart shell design. I just had to desolder the switch, and locate it to where I wanted it....a blob of hot glue then holds it in perfectly. Looked neater, and no downward pressure on the cart connector now either when pressing.

Had a quick blast of buggy boy and some others. I want to hopefully use it on one of the 14" PVM's a few of us got from Ollie recently.

Last thing will be a deep clean and a retrobrite, for another day tho. Need to do the same with the Cheetah joysticks too, man they're bad (in every way!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great work, i remember those cheetah joysticks, constantly rattling with broken pieces.

Those power supplies look great, will pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jank is not the word when it comes to the Cheetahs. I modded them both so that the lower fire button now works for the C64, and they both need a good scrub, but otherwise that's all I'll do to them.

I'd like to pick up controller adapters I think. I'm all for authenticity but I do like a modern convenience too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

I ended up desoldering the RF modulator the following day, and doing the few caps inside that. No reason to do this whatsoever other than potential cap fluid leak prevention.

I'll say this, decent tools make jobs like these so much easier. I couldn't imagine trying to do something like this with a soldering iron and some braid like I used to try and do. Needed serious heat to flow the solder on this and remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The only joystick needed for 8bit computers - Competition Pro :)

On C64 mods, I picked up a JiffyDOS chip which gives you the Turboload features for disk drives (inc. the drive emulators) and tape (I think) as well as other features I've never looked at. Good thing, it keeps your cart port free.

Lots of 'jail bar' fixes out there if thats a problem, as well as replacement modulator units to give better video output.

I think I have a SID mod board which has both type SIDs installed, one for left channel and one for right - though I think one of those SIDs isn't 100% of health.

Interesting 8bit machine to mod, lots of projects out there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The SVI-CAS looks like an excellent digital tape replacement for the C64 (and most 8 bit micros), 50 euro plus postage but I'm tempted. If you like the old school wait for a game to load that is!

There's a review here:

https://youtu.be/j4__v6ojPt0

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like a great 'one for all' solution across many 8bit machines - I contacted the person making them and there is a chunk of a waiting list due to Noel's Retro Lab video/review :) if you are thinking, worth getting on the waiting list and make a call once they catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah I actually saw it on The Spectrum Show a few weeks back so I hoped on then. There was even a bit of demand then.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That is nice !

I've no room but I'd love to setup my C64 again ,I also ended up with a spare C2N tape drive if anyone ever wants to go really old school and wants one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Also vaguely C64 related , but I always assumed one of the tape drives I had was a DIY custom mod , in fact its a Mills "Load It" which had a adjustable knob so you didn't have to faff around with screwdrivers for the azimuth head and a signal strength LED meter

Theres an ad for one here

https://stiggyblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/loadit.jpg

Advertisement