Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact on BER of changes

Options
  • 25-02-2022 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

We have a ground floor duplex. Since purchasing, we have changed the patio double doors and the front door. The patio doors were double glazed but the fitting was terrible as the curtains were almost 90 degrees when it’s windy outside. The front door was a wood three point, but it’s now a UVPC 7 point door. Again, there was a stiff breeze but no longer present. We’ve replaced all the radiators for verticals but that was more for aesthetics. We replaced most of the lights for LED downlights / spots.

We have also changed the boiler to a new ‘green’ version, improved the water pressure, and as a result, removed the water tank and hot water storage, so no need for the immersion switch.

according to the BER database, our rating was C1, but we had been told when buying from the developer it was B3. We’re applying to remortgage and saw the green interest rate is good, but we need the minimum B3. Is it worth getting an updated BER done? From what I’ve read, it’s difficult to upgrade BER for a duplex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Sorry, from an immersion style boiler to a combi boiler. Oh, and we changed the hob from gas to induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

Only way of knowing the current rating is to get a new BER assessment done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Try get your old BER cert and advisory report (you should have got these when buying, and the fact developer lied is a whole other issue, but if you contact seai with your mprn they should send you a copy) , there should be some recommendations in it, though they are often a bit vague, and see if there is any other easy ones you can do.

If getting a new one I would try have all bulbs be LED anyway.

I’ve got the recommendations report attached to my BER certificate. Is the recommendations just a ‘copy and paste’ thing?

The recommendations include;

insulating the roof / attic - our roof is the upstairs neighbour’s floor so we don’t have an attic

installing solar power - we don’t have a roof to install it on

installing a wind turbine - where? On this imaginary roof?

im thinking BERs are a waste of time ‘make work for Green Party supporters’ policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

You don't mention if boiler is gas or oil.

I emailed seai asking for name of person who made ber cert. It was in the last 6 months. They phoned me and walked through various options. He had photos and knew house. 20 minutes on the phone and it was free.

The way BER is calculated has changed over the years, the quality of the report very much depends on the assessor.

It's somewhat hard to go from c3 to b1, if your boiler went from non condensing to condensing then that alone might do it. Try to get efficiency of old and new one. Replacing doors and windows with similar won't have much impact on paper. LED lamps are easy fix.

It may be worth getting same person back, as they may have all measurements and just plug in new numbers.

Good heating timers, zones can also help squeeze to next level.

So next step get your assessor id an email seai asking for company details.

• Advertisement

It was an immersion gas boiler, and we switched to a combi gas boiler.

the front door was made of wood, and the new one is UPVC.

The report mentions our building has a flat roof, but it doesn’t - others of a similar type in the development do, but not ours so I do think this might have been a bit of a copy & paste bulk purchase job for the developer. Our place was a builders blank finish so no floor coverings when the inspection was supposedly done, so a bit odd to highlight the floors.

I need it to go from C1 to B3 I’ve tried looking for the inspector named on it but can’t find them via google so likely I’ll need a fresh inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a reference number of the company and or assessor on the ber. Send seai an email with that number.

It does sound like cut and paste but you may be down 200 euro to get another ber, is it worth it?

If you changed from a condensing boiler to a condensing boiler (combi or not) it won't have helped your ber.

Advertisement