Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine bans men aged between 18 and 60 from leaving the country (due to conscription)

Options
13»

Comments

That's so strange.

You believe that women can hold their own in the military, but yet you believe that women in the police are just there taking up places that should be filled by men? Strange attitude.

if it ever happens in this country, at least the women in the police will take their place, allowing you and your weaker friends of the same sex to hide/&or move to another country, as refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this woman has got bigger balls than any man esp any Russian man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭iptba

When Lepina shamed Klever, she was no longer in Ukraine herself.

So a woman publicly outed a man for fleeing Ukraine and avoiding fighting when she had done something similar.

Makes me think of the women including some suffragettes who during the First World War in the UK when they suspected the man/boy of avoiding conscription handed out a white feather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather

Although the draft would conscript both sexes, only males would be on the front lines.[8][9][10][check quotation syntax] While the true effectiveness of the campaign is impossible to judge, it spread throughout several other nations in the empire. In Britain, it started to cause problems for the government when public servants and men in essential occupations came under pressure to enlist. That prompted Home Secretary Reginald McKenna to issue employees in state industries with lapel badges reading "King and Country" to indicate that they were serving the war effort. Likewise, the Silver War Badge, which was given to service personnel who had been honourably discharged by wounds or sickness, was first issued in September 1916 to prevent veterans from being challenged for not wearing uniform.[7] Anecdotes from the time indicate that the campaign was not popular among soldiers, not least because soldiers who were home on leave could find themselves presented with feathers.

One example was Private Ernest Atkins, who was on leave from the Western Front. He was riding a tram when he was presented with a white feather by a girl sitting behind him. He smacked her across the face with his pay book and said, "Certainly I'll take your feather back to the boys at Passchendaele. I'm in civvies because people think my uniform might be lousy, but if I had it on I wouldn't be half as lousy as you".[11]

Private Norman Demuth, who had been discharged from the British Army after he had been wounded in 1916, received numerous white feathers after he returned from the Western Front. In Forgotten Voices of the Great War, Demuth is quoted as saying:

"Almost the last feather I received was on a bus. I was sitting near the door when I became aware of two women on the other side talking at me, and I thought to myself, 'Oh Lord, here we go again'. One lent forward and produced a feather and said, 'Here's a gift for a brave soldier. I took it and said,'Thank you very much- I wanted one of those.' Then I took my pipe out of my pocket and put this feather down the stem and worked it in a way I've never worked a pipe cleaner before. When it was filthy I pulled it out and said, 'You know, we didn't get these in the trenches', and handed it back to her. She instinctively put out her hand and took it, so there she was sitting with this filthy pipe cleaner in her hand and all the other people on the bus began to get indignant. Then she dropped it and got up to get out, but we were nowhere near a stopping place and the bus went on quite a long way while she got well and truly barracked by the rest of the people on the bus. I sat back and laughed like mad."[12]

Supporters of the campaign were not easily put off. A woman who confronted a young man in a London park demanded to know why he was not in the army. "Because I am a German", he replied. He received a white feather anyway.[13]

Occasionally injured veterans were mistakenly targeted, such as Reuben W. Farrow who after being aggressively asked by a woman on a tram why he would not do his duty, turned around and showed his missing hand causing her to apologize.[7]

Perhaps the most misplaced use of a white feather was when one was presented to Seaman George Samson, who was on his way in civilian clothes to a public reception being held in his honour for having been awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry in the Gallipoli campaign.[14]

Roland Gwynne, later the mayor of Eastbourne (1929–1931), received a feather from a relative. That prompted him to enlist, and he would receive the Distinguished Service Order for bravery.[15]

The writer Compton Mackenzie, then[when?] a serving soldier, complained about the activities of the Order of the White Feather. He argued that "idiotic young women were using white feathers to get rid of boyfriends of whom they were tired".[16] The pacifist Fenner Brockway said he received so many white feathers that he had enough to make a fan.[citation needed]

By the way, the Ukrainian woman caused "devastating consequences" for the man who fled:

Klever’s mistake, which would bring devastating consequences, was writing to a friend about being smuggled out and making it to London.

The friend betrayed his trust and posted their conversation on social media. It went viral, and Ukrainians all over the internet exploded with anger and resentment.

“You are a walking dead person,” one Twitter message said. “I’m going to find you in any corner in the world.”

Post edited by iptba on

it seems Twitter is the modern day..white feather?

• Advertisement

Men flee Russia to avoid mobilisation

All flights from Russia to neighbouring countries sold out on Wednesday as Russians sought to flee a partial mobilisation order drafting 300,000 reservists into the army announced by Vladimir Putin.

Fears that men of fighting age would not be allowed to leave the country began to spread as the Russian president ordered the call-up.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov refused to say whether Russia would close its borders for those who are subject to mobilisation.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1572471269341159424

Swimming rivers and faking illness to escape Ukraine’s draft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gotta be honest, if Micheal Martin told me I needed to fight and die for Ireland, I would probably be on the first flight out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nickkohl

Forcing a human being to stay in warzone is a human rights violation.

Lots of Ukrainian men don't want to flee..they want to stay and fight . I really admire their attitude ..and it looks like you would be doing the same if you were in their position ..As for me ..I wish I had the balls to stay but I'm a coward so I think I would want to flee . Maximum I could do was to join this initiative https://cartodonate.com .

Post edited by nickkohl on

Ukraine military draft age lowered to boost fighting force

Volodymyr Zelenskiy lowers minimum draft age from 27 to 25 and will reassess disability waivers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/03/ukraine-military-draft-age-law

"More than two years later, however, many of those initial recruits are dead, wounded or simply exhausted, and the army needs new recruits to fill the ranks. By now, most of those who want to fight have already signed up, leaving the military to recruit among a much more reluctant pool of men."

"Viral videos have shown men snatched from the street to be conscripted"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I was!

I believe the underestimation of Ukrainian determination and Russian dysfunction was a commonly made mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not a suitable thread for this forum. Locked.

There are multiple refugee threads in the Current Affairs forum.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement