Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigration to Bermuda in 1950s - records

• 25-02-2022 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi!

My mother died about 20 years ago, but spoke about having been a nanny in Bermuda in the 1950s. I have some photos from her stay there. Would it be possible to find any records - immigration or visa records for Bermuda. I would love to find out who she stayed with. The children of that family are probably elderly, but may be still alive.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There is one set of records listed specific to Bermuda on Ancestry - Bermuda, Passenger and Crew Manifests, 1957-1969 - but there may be other UK record sets at Ancestry and elsewhere which may mention her.

If you'd like to give me a name I can check for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wouldn't know where to start with this.

She certainly wouldn't have flown from Ireland.

She also may not have officially gone - Bermuda was part of the British Commonwealth then so it might have not recorded travel from Britain.

Do you have any old passports for her?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Hermy and Pinky PInky. Her name was Mary Burke, Tuam, Galway, born 1929. I don't have any old passports for her. Looking through the stuff that I have, I think she may have gone to Bermuda before 1959, so somewhere between 1952 and 1958. I will try the Ancestry records. I forgot that she wouldn't have flown from Ireland. It's possible that she flew from the UK, as she spent a lot of time in the UK with her sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

There is a comprehensive guide to Bermudan research here https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Bermuda_Genealogy

Thank, Mick Tator. I've found the record of my mother's travel to Bermuda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ah brilliant.

How long was she there?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi! Pinkypinky, it seems she was there for 5 months.

Advertisement