Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options for actually reliable broadband in South Dublin?

Options
  • 25-02-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I am with Eir and I have had no internet connection for 9 days. I am pulling my hair out trying to deal with them. OpenEir have come out 4 times and marked it as fixed without ever coming near the house or giving me a call to see if it was actually back. So now I am looking at my options. The problem is everyone else seems to also use OpenEir's network and Virgin is meant to be even worse. Is there anyone actually worth switching over to in the area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends on exact area. If you have virgin coax type cable passing house, they can courier you the internet box for next day delivery. Plug it in an it will go. Sure it may drop out from time to time, particularly if from time to time someone cuts the cable along all the houses. This sometimes happens due to building work on a house, or sometimes a high truck catches the cable across a road. If there is a powercut anywhere nearby they also stop working as they have boosters every so many houses that need power. Typically it's fixed again within 3 hours. You can sign up without a 1 year contract and see how it goes.

SIRO may be another option. They use esb poles to run fibre direct into your home, but coverage varies. Put in your eircode here: https://siro.ie/

very fast, not the cheapest but nothing to do with eir. Better than virgin, probably fastest in country.

Most other systems use the same phone line and if it is broken then they won't work and eir have a monopoly on the phone wires.

Most wireless systems, 5G etc are not as good as fixed wired broadband. You may be able to set up your phone as a temporary wifi hotspot, to try get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thepliablefoe

Is siro FTTH the same as virgin media FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thepliablefoe

Advertisement