Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karate regulations

Options
  • 26-02-2022 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for some insight on how karate clubs are regulated with regards grading for belts? My young daughter is in a karate club but we are uncomfortable with the certain aspects and just wondered if this is standard practice? So some kids are skipping the grading process and been given belts for reasons such as helping out in class or attending outside camps with the instructor. I was of the impressions you train and every 3/4 months are given the opportunity to grade and based on your ability/knowledge would gain a new belt. Is this something that clubs do - give out belts without the person having to officially grade?

Just to add, coming up to my daughters last grading it was mention she might skip a belt - I said no, she goes through each belt because I really didn't feel having seen the process that she would actually be at that level of someone of the same belt from another club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

you never got a reply to this, so maybe this is too late.

Bit there are no grading regulations, associations make up their own rules. If a club does agree with the association, they invent their own.

Kids belts are meaningless. 3-4 months sounds about right. It’s a cash grab. Black belts under 12 are total nonsense.

Advertisement