Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Pulse College 3D Environmental Design course worth it?

Options
  • 26-02-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m a digital artist and I have a BA in interior design however it’s not for me and I’d love to get into environment design specifically, wether it’s 2D or 3D work. I’m very familiar with SketchUp, V-Ray, Photoshop and autoCAD. I have also started learning Maya in my spare time and hopefully going to go into 3ds Max and Blender next as I’ve seen they are very commonly used. I have also came across Unreal Engine. 

I’m good at compositions, perspective and creating an atmosphere in a given environment with the use of lighting, textures and colour, the only issue is the new programs. All of these are very similar to the programs I have used before but also different with all the different possibilities so it’s taking time to get the hang of it. I thought to myself what better way to learn then an online course.

I came across Pulse College Environment  Design course and I thought that maybe I’d be more employable with a diploma in this course then being a self thought beginner however I don’t know the extent of this course and 2 classes a week for 12 weeks doesn’t seem like a lot. I also seen you need to get 3ds Max as a requirement to apply for the course in the first place. I didn’t hear about any other programs used, if there is going to be anything on how to create a portfolio etc. 

If this course is just a 3ds Max tutorial and a few other things like sketching, blockout, etc then I might just follow the free tutorials on ArtStation. I guess I just want to know if this course is going to make me more employable or if me following free tutorials and getting free trials of different programs going to get me to the same level. 

Is there a different college in Ireland that offers a course like this thats worth the money? Would it be better for me to just do a few online courses for these programs specifically? Or should I just explore them myself for free as it won’t make much difference? 

Any advice is appreciated thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a fried who worked there and it seemed like a decent enough place. I self taught myself Blender and there are tons of resources online to do so. If you’re looking for something more than a hobby skill a course would be better.

Advertisement