Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

No real winners here accept select US industry. Sure they shifted a load of military gear and have fracked gas ready.

How stupid was the Russian attack approach? Why did they send in a large column of equipment to be picked off? Why didn’t they strike access points for foreign military support to hinder supplies of weapons? How was Putin so badly informed about Ukrainian sentiment towards Russia in west Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because like all dictators he will not accept anyone bringing him bad news. Hitler, Mussolini, Ceausescu, Stalin etc all sacked and shot people that contradicted them. It a bit like the Scorpion and the frog it's in there nature

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog&ved=2ahUKEwiDpIbIsOH4AhXeS0EAHcSXBB8QFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2OlKXuoZsIW2VB-5F8tnuL

Along with that the sheer corruption within the country is an issue. If you have an elite that is corrupt, then the layer below see this and is corrupt as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I'd say don't send 'em to Russia or Ukraine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see reports Putin had the leaders of these pro Russian militias in Eastern Ukraine killed all bar one. The one spared was a former Ukrainian intelligence officer. One that Putin found useful and would have dirt on and could manipulate.

The others were killed as they were getting arms and financial support from private sources in Russia and this was too risky for Putin as it wasn't through the military that Putin's regime had full control of. At the start of this war the part of the Eastern states under the pro Russians even had visions of going independent of Russia. If you're a threat to the regime you're killed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

With diesel the way it is any few quid extra would be spent on the haulier anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Ya I realised after twas the wrong thread I had posted in. Didn't know how to delete it after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is anyone else getting concerned about the state of the European economy?

Cracks are forming everywhere, collapse is looking very likely and it will be here. Not in Russia.

Open up Nord stream 2, scrap the sanctions and forget about where the Ukrainian borders were originally....

We won't be able to print our way out of this collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow ... Do you want to give the chamberlain " peace in our time " speach as well , there's no way that nice Mr Hitler will invade Poland ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Yes I'm concerned that Europe cannot sustain a long War. Between Oil, Sanctions, Inflation and refugees it is putting serious pressure on the whole economy. The printing press is the only thing they have at this stage, to say they can't print themselves out of this one is true but it is also what they are doing and in doing so they are destroying peoples wealth. Soon we are getting to the point for Europe where Army Boots on the ground is the cheaper option and if we get any unrest in Europe than there's nothing better for a bit of distraction than to enter a War.

Euro getting Close to parity with the US dollar. Another 12 months of the current situation will see it at $0.85 to €1

Post edited by AnF Chuckie egg on

People seem to be under the illusion that we can sustain all of this in Europe and the simple reality is that we can't.

America can probably keep going as they are but Europe and Japan are in a very precarious position that is only getting worse by the day. For all the hype about the sanctions, Russia aren't under a whole lot of pressure, how big their arsenal is and how capable they are of restocking it is their biggest issue, doubt they are under any immediate pressure.

Ukraine and Europe both have to end this as soon as possible and accept that it's not going to be the great moral victory that they've been trying to sell us the past few months.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure that Russia isn't hurting a lot ..but they're talking a good fight ,

and they're still short on man power , they do seem to have huge supplies of artillery shells but wether they can keep getting them to the front ...

You are right that Europe needs to get serious about energy and the financing around this whole conflict..

But is it fought now in Ukraine or in Moldova ,Romania ,Bulgaria ,turkey Poland, the Baltics in a few months time , ( I don't mean tanks will roll , but the inexorable ratcheting up of propaganda ,threat and destabilization ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That is a junior infants solution to the problem!!!

You're right, russia doesn't have the logistical capacity to supply it's army. That doesn't just include ammunition but fuel, food, and spare parts too. The capacity they do have is being degraded by the day.

kremlin trolls and useful idiots will say but, but, but russia will hold what it has already so it's all terribly pointless, give up! They're not going to be able to hold jack **** if they can't supply their forces. That's their weapon of last resort ,Western public opinion. A senior russian government official said yesterday they have to move to a war economy as sanctions have crippled their economy.

Europe will be fine, we will all be much better off without the malignant cancer of russian aggression.

Two threads on how western precision artillery and russian logistics (and stupidity) mix. Ukraine wins this war with Western help.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Better than the playschool solutions we are currently using

A lot of russian cruise missiles being shot down now 👍️ Slowly but surely Ukrainian capacity is being upgraded

A couple of days ago Kazakhstan offered to send the EU more oil, and criticised russia's war against Ukraine. Kazakhstan's oil get's to the ocean at the Black Sea, unfortunately the current pipeline crosses russian territory. Surprising absolutely no one a russian "court" has ordered the pipeline shut for 30 days due to "technical reasons".

russia has been using energy as a weapon since the 2000's. their mercenaries have been busy in Africa to prepare more migrants to flood into Europe, and that strategy fits in neatly with their new famine war.

Yet some want to go back to "business as usual", to protect our economies and wealth, and giving the kremlin all that power over Europe. It reminds me of the meme with the three men sitting at a table. A rich guy with most of the cookies, a working guy with one or two, and a migrant with none. The rich guy telling the working guy the migrant is going to steal his cookies.

Distract you so you watch your pennies while putrid disassembles the very way of life we enjoy today.

So In an alternate universe ,where our old colonial masters decided they wanted Ireland back in the fold , you'd be first to roll over so as not to offend the french or Germans ? ( And I know that's not the best of analogies)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

This is ukraines fight not ours. We can't seem to come up with a set of sanctions that hurts Russia more than us.

Everything so far has inconvenienced Russia at best but it is hitting Europe much harder.

They are not facing into a total economic collapse but we are and we are going to take many developing countries with us.

I have no interest in being somebody else's pawn in a game I have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I see a few ammo dumps being targeted by the Ukrainians in the Donbass. I reckon once russia set up in luhansk/dunbass, their will be serious intelligence(local population)on the Ukrainian side and better artillery which will really target russian invaders inside ukraine. ORC soldiers will become disillusioned

There is a school of taught that as the Ukrainian army retreats they have left undercover forces behind from people embedded in the civilian population to other that have special forces training.

As the Ukrainian army gets more familiar with the shoot and scoot artillery they are recieving they could cause serious damage to Russian forces in these area's.

They can target troop encampments, artillery, there munitions, fuel, food and equipment storage area as well as motorized equipment.

At present the Russian army has become better able to avoid targeting by drones. However manual targeting is more problematic for them. When they attacked Kyiv it was manual targeting that put them.in the back foot first.

This time targeting will not be dependent on mobile phones but on encrypted data transfer via satellite or encrypted radio signals.

A few seconds burst can transfer enough to lead to an area being hit in 10+ different places with on it it over a nighttime

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Ukrainians attacked an airfield near Melitopol forcing aircraft to near Crimea instead now.

This GPS targeting systems on their new weapons seems to be paying dividends.

All they have to do is basically look at Google maps. Get the coordinates. Input and fire.

Any static targets within range is now dish of the day. The arms dumps were reputed to be ordinary buildings or houses near railway tracks. Russians considered them hidden. But intelligence is giving them away. Not exactly reinforced concrete bunkers like they should be.

Russia is picking off the exact same targets on the Ukrainian side, just we don't report to much on it because it doesn't suit the narrative.

Supposedly 2 of these new himars already picked off. Obviously Ukraine won't allow it to be verified as it shows that their big turnaround isn't very likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Wouldn't hiding soldiers with the civilian population just give every male of fighting age a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

No. I really don't think so. Russia has almost exhausted its army. It cant by its own admission keep going until it's refreshed and regrouped. The Russian economy is also heading for a war footing as it's almost on its knees. Russian like it or not is losing and that is why we keep hearing that desperate rhetoric from Moscow.

Dan.

Why John Mearsheimer is wrong about russia, Alexander Stubb, former Prime, Finance, Foreign minister of Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd say they're scraping the dredges of the barrel with what's piloting their reconstituted tank teams, a group of 10 year olds with any expirence of call of duty would make a better go of it

4 more HIMARS on their way to Ukraine 😀

• Advertisement

The population staying behind is mostly pro Russian. The Russians will find it hard to find an oat seed in the barley. What may be even more dangerous for them is early in the war they conscripted males in conquered territories into there army. Embedded soldiers may be female as well.

The war seems to be changing in the last few days. The new weapons are making a difference. As well Russia seems to be running short of Tanks and APV. I was surprised to find that most of these need major overhauls after 1k hours. This is a factor not a field overhaul. As well at best Russian can replace about 20%/year of what it has used in the last four months. It's probably reaching the stage where it's totally dependent on artillery to both in defence and attack.

The Ukrainian Army will be ringing the bell at the gates of the Kremlin by Christmas.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement