Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah yes. Forgot that was announced yesterday. Should have left her there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

He's an arms dealer, they can catch him again if he sets foot outside Russia. Whereas she is back forever.

Yeah not a good swap on paper, but it's good on principle. Pity they couldn't get Whelan as well, but the Russians won't budge on him. Real politik is not pretty, but would rather she was out for whatever scumbag than in a Russian penal colony being used as a spectacle

Generally I think fairly "unwise" people go to these countries where their live is only of a certain value, so I understand the sentiment. OTOH the US Govt has a responsibility despite the stupidity of it's citizens to recover them if possible. You can be sure there was plenty of political pressure applied in this case. Which is likely to be one of the motivating factors in seizing her in the first place. The US has essentially been extorted. Despite the criticism I can't see how much different things could have gone. Rumours, at least, of this trade have been circulating for months. It's not a win for the good guys but bout has been in prison for the guts of 15 years and his former networks are unlikely to still be intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

The moral of the story is, no none Russian should go to Russia at this time, because as sure as night follows day, you will be leaving yourself open to being picked up and held on trumped-up charges, and held for exchange against a Russian held in the west or US.

Oh, don't you worry your head overmuch about Ukraines military need's. The West, UK, US etc will make sure that Putin will be beaten, because until he is, he will be a source of trouble world wide. The heads of Governments in these Country's, know full well the threat that he poses. When they (the west etc.) finish, Putin's military will only be a very pale inconsequential shadow of its former self, and incapable of threatening any other Country for a very long time, if ever.

***The US has recently announced plans to triple 155mm shell production, going from the present 14'000 shells per month to 20'000 by the spring, and ramping up production to 40'000 by 2025.** This is in addition to a contract worth $431 million for Himar production. So, no, I don't think that military support for Ukraine is going to drop anytime soon. None of the above is good news for Russia in general, and Putin in particular, Slava Ukraine,

• Advertisement

If this incident with Brittney Griner has one positive aspect, it will be to show the world, ( especially the West ) what the possible consequences are for visiting Russia, even for the most innocent of reasons. It should be a self imposed ban on travelling there. Because they will play every dirt trick in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Would you say Ukraine are getting all the gear they need. What the UK and the West apart from the US gave probably lasted a week. Ukraine are totally dependent on the US to get barely enough to slug it out with Russia.

IF Ukraine had back in Feb ( or better still in 2014) what they have now, this war would be history. But they didn't, and now we are where we are. Since then, they (West, US UK etc) have been trying to catch up, and they're getting there, and the proof is the fact that the Russians have lost major battles and ground. But it's an ongoing process. Winter will tell a lot, but my money is on Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭ginger22

The drip feed of weapons by the US is a game to drag the war out. Suits their agenda. Weapons is a big industry for the US. Big bucks to sponsor political candidates.

Finland have supplied their weapons and home-made equipment to Ukraine, is that a nefarious plot by Finland to profit their arms industry in order to sponsor political candidates?

Croatia have sent weapons. Australia, Czech Republic, South Korea, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Japan - in fact dozens of countries have sent military aid to Ukraine.

It's critical life support, for a country that is being brutally invaded, for people that are sacrificing their lives holding back the modern day equivalent of Hitler.

Sadly there are individuals who systematically believe the US/UK are the villains in every situation, and by another remarkable coincidence have been coming up with ways of blaming them for this conflict. Just like Putin does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You cannot just throw weapons at an army and expect that to solve the issue. Most weapon platforms are so technology advanced that it takes weeks, months or years of training.

Historically Ukraine had mostly Soviet era weaponry. DT wanted to withhold aid before the last election looking for dirt on Biden.

So it has been a drip feed of weapons inc training to Ukraine. . Maybe it could have been faster, however there was attempts to broker a deal in the early stages and still are but Putin demands are not compatible with an agreement. As well the West has been reluctant to give weapons to Ukraine that can me modified to strike into Russian.

It will be interesting to see in the spring if Ukraine will have received more planes. There was in the summer Ukrainian pilots sent to train on an air platform use as tank killers and for ground attack.

If these were made available in the spring then we could see an acceleration of gains by Ukraine. However remember war is not won in a day ( something Putin learned) or a year. IMO the winter will wear the Russians down more than the Ukrainian army.

Slava Ukrainii

What's naivety?

You are in here parroting Putin's talking points and linking Russian run blogs as "news" sites. So you might want to check where the naivety is really coming from.

Calm down, I only suggested that war is only a political game to the US. If they wanted this war over they could have ramped up their military supplies much quicker.

I only suggested that war is only a political game to the US.

Yeah. Your comments earlier are similar to those we see daily from the Russian ministry of defense and Putin himself.

If they wanted this war over they could have ramped up their military supplies much quicker.

This war is impacting the global economy, it's impacting oil prices, it's impacting global stability, it's raising the specter of nuclear escalation - that has political pressure, immense political pressure.

If you want to hint that the US or Finnish or Danish leadership is somehow prolonging the conflict to benefit a few arms companies at the expense of literally everyone and everything else, then I have a very long bridge to sell you and a guest spot on the Infowars show.

Never mentioned Finnish or Danish leadership. Where did you pull that from. Me thinks you are only on here trying to start a row.

Exactly. Like the US they are sending weapons to Ukraine, from their own arms industries, under the same conditions, but you didn't invent a conspiracy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

Just checked some of your other post on other threads. Seems to be a perpetual argument with anybody that doesnt agree with you. So no thanks, not going down that rabbit hole. Putting you on ignore, would appreciate it if you did the same.

• Advertisement

Finland has a massive amount of artillery more than any other European country. I don't think they gave Ukraine any. Which is what they need most of all

They are very tight-lipped about what they send but indeed most seems to be infantry related (equipment, guns, ammo, mortars, etc)

I think their doctrine is to send anything they can that isn't related to their own defense plans. They have a huge border with Russia and all that artillery seems to be a part of those plans.

Haven't they now stopped sending military gear there because they reckon it's being smuggled back across the border to criminals

That broke in late Oct (criminal gangs are getting their hands on some weapons sent from some countries). Finland has sent arms since Oct, the latest package 2 or 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was that not debunked shortly after that came out that it was Kremlin propaganda put out on a pro russian news site?

Source: are posts on the current affairs forum, Russia thread.

The story I read sourced Finnish police themselves, however it did a lot of "might" and "could be".

There have of course been propaganda stories from the Russians, but it's usually at the more absurd end of the scale.

Meanwhile criminals in the Wagner group are being given weapons and now African criminals are being given weapons.

And criminals convicted by a Dutch court are still walking in Russia after shooting down Malayasian airline MH 17 with a ground to high altitude missile.

If Russia ceased to be a thing in the morning.

Europe would be 90% more peaceful. From all the influences in the vigilanty groups, to enviros, nationalists and then even the influences on US news sources regurgitated back here.

Never happen though when El Putin is in charge of Fuhrerprinzip, Volksgemeinschaft.

• Advertisement

Some Wagner HQ was hit in the south today. That has to be a good days work for Ukraine

Advertisement