Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zell Am See - Tips Please

Options
  • 27-02-2022 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Heading to Zell Am See next week and looking for some tips on recommended ski routes, fun bars/restaurants, places to check out and activities.

What's the tobogganing at night like?

Have the Saalbach app downloaded which has some routes to follow.

Love some nice spots to stop during the day for some deckchair action and views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah, sorry I missed this. I've only been to 3 places skiing, but here twice. So obviously I thought a hell of a lot of it! How'd you get on? There are loads of great runs there, the blues on the citixpress side are lovely cruisy, wide, nice length ones. The reds on the other side of the mountain are just lovely. I think it's 17/18 that fee into 16 - just three lovely runs. 21 is the best on the mountain in my view. A red, but fairly tough and very long run. I think 14 is supposed to be the toughest on the mountain, but it's not the worst at all. I think 9 was a lovely black run that really was more of a red. And I'll have to give a special mention to red 12 because I got engaged there!

My favourite eatery on the mountain was a place we called "the ribs place". I suspect the Austrians call it something different. It was on the way down from the top of the mountain to the CitiXpress side. But all the mountain restaurants were decent. And the town had lovely food as well. There was a fancy burger place, some nice Italians and the hotels had nice Austrian food. We went to a restaurant across the water for a celebration and it was top notch and incredible value. I can't remember what we paid but I remember thinking it would be twice that at home.

Anyway, how'd you get on? It's such a small mountain you'll cover it all anyway. You could literally ski every run on it in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was there 4 years ago, pre covid obviously, but really enjoyed it. Has benefits over my other Austrian favourite of Mayrhofen in that you can ski/board into the town at the end of the day plus probably has a nicer feel feel to the town itself, with a good mix of bars/restaurants and hotels.

Nice pub called 'Gunters' if memory serves me right, off the beaten track as you head down citiexpress slope. Great for a last drink with nice views of the lake and the bonus of being able to board back into the town from here.

Its a small enough hill but there's connectivity to Saalbach and also Kaprun and Kitzsteinhorn glacier via bus to keep those that want more happy.

Advertisement