Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Virgin TV Anywhere

Options
  • 28-02-2022 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have used my web browser to watch TV on virginmediatv.ie for a long time. A few days ago the service stopped working and now all I get is a blank screen with links that do not work any more. So far I have not received a solution from Virgin and I wonder if anyone else has encountered and solved this problem. It's annoying not being able to watch TV or even check the schedule of programmes on my computer any more.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.....Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The app is working ok for me both as an app and via chrome browser on my phone in desktop mode.

Arent you only allowed 2 devices?

Did you access from a different device recently?

Can you login to the app and see what devices are registered? Maybe remove your computer and add again?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Try an incognito / private browser

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Thanks for your suggestions odyssey06. I can get the app to work on my ipad and/or iphone but I cannot get any proper response on my Mac browser (I've tried it on three separate ones now). And it's the same on browsers with my iPad. So I cannot use a PC at all, as the problem seems to be with browsers and I can't use the Virgin TV Anywhere app on PC. I've also tried a Windows PC, with the same outcome.

Even given the 2 device restriction I should still be able to see the website and just not be able to view content. So I am completely puzzled by all of this. ☹️

Aaaarrrgh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrianDT

I've the exact same problem, started a couple of days ago. I managed to reboot everything last night, signed back into virgin media and got it to work but gone again today and can't get it to work

Thanks BrianDT. So now I know I'm not alone. I will keep chasing this with Virgin. They said it may be a "software problem", whatever that may mean, and they have promised to get back to me. If I get a solution I will post it here.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 RoxyS

You are not alone. It stopped working for me also, out of the blue, on my laptop, Win10, all browsers. App on phone working. I only have two devices accessing, no more.

Well, I just had my sixth call in the last 48 hours with Virgin, and they have now told me that they have a problem with the website virginmediatv.ie on laptops. It is not working. So I'm not crazy, and I have not been doing anything wrong after all 😛

Apparently they are "looking into it" and it may be fixed within a few days. I will have to be patient. At least I can now stop fiddling with my laptop, as I know there is nothing wrong with it.

Believe this problem, which I also have, is related to Cookie acceptance. If you have rejected All Cookies, then you probably have this problem. It will only resolve if you accept Targeting Cookies. Dont think this is a very acceptable position taken by Virgin Media, forcing you to accept being targeted in order to use the service.

Being forced to give up data which should be optional (non-essential) in order to access the service, is in breach of GDPR. Businesses are only allowed collect information which is essential only to operate the service. As seen and selected on many websites "Essential Cookies Only" is sufficient to access the service offered. Have asked for opinion from the Data Protection Commission here.

My goodness, you are absolutely correct on this. I just saw your note now and I tried accepting their cookies. And it worked!! What is really unacceptable in all of this is how Virgin change their policy/practice without even informing customers (and indeed their call centre representatives).

Well done on working this out. You are doing the right thing to get the opinion of the Data Protection Commission.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the heads up on the problem and fix, going to try myself on the smart TV. I'm careful to vet all access requests on the cookies so now trying to think back if I'd done something recently! Either way, good to have some additional clarity on the problem.

Back up and viewing....

Another Virgin TV anywhere problem... This time on my smart tv I'm just getting red screen with Virgin TV symbol... I've tried resetting, accepting cookies etc., but keeps reverting back to symbol!

Anyone else???

Is your main box on?

Sometimes I get that, I switch on the app on my phone, that seems to kick start things into life, and then on the Smart TV it works.

There was an app update rolled out earlier in the month, and my app stopped working completely until I updated it. PM me if you need more info on that.

Odyssey06,

Thank you for the feedback and comments, I'd given up but going to try again and get this rectified.

I'll review your steeps and see if they help.

Advertisement