Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company Car for Personal Use Only - What kind of insurance policy do I need?

• 28-02-2022 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I'm in the middle of negotiating terms and conditions with a couple of potential employers at the moment and one company has made me a really interesting offer: the use of a company vehicle for personal use only - provided that I insure the vehicle myself.

I've never had the option of a company car before, so I've never to had worry about these sorts of things previously. 

Anyone I know that has a company car actually has to drive it as part of their job, and as such, is insured by their employer, but in my case, the vehicle is strictly for personal use only. With this in mind, what kind of insurance policy do I need to take out on the vehicle? Is a simple, straight-forward "private motor insurance" policy sufficient? Or is the fact the vehicle would be leased mean that I need a different type of insurance? 

Any help is much appreciated!

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'm not sure that this will be possible. You don't have a beneficial interest in the vehicle, so how can you insure it? You need to talk to a good broker.

Btw youll be crucified for benefit-in-kind it car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most company cars are leased and the employer pays the insurance. How can a company insure a car in which they have no beneficial interest, given that someone else (the leasing company) owns it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You don't need a beneficial interest but merely an insurable interest. The insurable interest is the obligation to redeliver the car to the employer at the end of the term, or end of the employment. That deals with the technicals rather than whether an insurer is set up to do it.

Advertisement