Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sunny morning but been a lot of cumulus cloud here in my part of Dublin since and that bloody wind is still having a bite to it.

An interesting stat shared with me. The 365 day national IMT anomaly is running at +1.1C above average which is the joint highest on available record, it equals this point in May 2007 which too was preceded by an unusual long run of anomalously warmer than average months like 2021-22. Of course that was broken by July 2007 which was the first cooler than average month since March the prior year. June 2007 despite being very wet was actually warm, very warm in the northwest even. Overdue cool month to occur this summer? Would not surprise me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Super day here in South Tipp, 20C and sun splitting the stones, tractors out in force, few pairs of shorts making an appearance too!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z looks mostly cool and unsettled right out to +384 hours so it's looking like first half of June is going to be cool and unsettled. June could well be the first cooler than average month this year and a fair chance August will be up there too. We will need to start seeing a big improvement into the second half of June and July. We have had a fairly good run of summers over the past 5 years with the exception of summer 2020, so we are probably overdue a poor summer for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Don't mind the gfs ,the lunchtime run was showing mid 20s with the azores plonked over us till +384,I ignore that model after at least +168

Another lovely day in coastal Arklow

A topper of an evening

High of 19c yesterday and today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A high of 16.1C today at my site ( felt warmer and probably was in town ), lovely blue skies and such welcome light after the wet day yesterday.

12.8C atm and a lovely evening, might be a good night to check for Noctilucent clouds later.

Pic about 18.30

Might get up to around 20C in Kerry tomorrow , will keep ye posted ! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm f**king sick of the bloody wind around here. Every single day. A stiff breeze knocking temps way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

North Wicklow.

Beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous May.

Be kind to the planet people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudier than I had hoped today. Wind gone and temperature 14.8c but doubt we will break the magic 20c with all the cloud streaming from the Northwest. 18c is the temperature we go to the beach but the max I see it being there is 16c. Still if the continuous wind of the first 27 days of May is gone it might not be too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day in Kerry, 16.8C

Heavy dew still on the grass after the chilly night. Will easily reach 20C here today and maybe a little on to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fairly cloudy today in Meath and 13C. I think temperatures in many places will struggle to get much past 17C today with so much cloud around. Temperatures will take a tumble from tomorrow and it will remain below average till Friday when temperatures should begin to stage a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

May has been average and normal enough for me.

The warmer nights have been nice. I remember frost during the 3rd week of May 1994, early 1996 etc. Daytime temps have been normal.

The lengthening of the days is always something to behold in May.

I have found this May dissapointing largely due to a lack of warm daytime temperatures and sunshine. Far too much wind too. The warm nights were the only good thing helping to keep the heating off. The next 5 days will be chilly but I am hoping for a big lift up in temperatures during the 2nd and 3rd week of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Disappointing in Dublin today.

Started off beautiful + sunny like yesterday but has clouded over.

Thank f&&,k the wind has died down though.

Gone cloudy and cool here in North Dublin

• Advertisement

Looking at the met eireann temperatures for 1pm the majority of stations are reporting between 14C and 17C for 1pm. Shannon is warmest at 18C. I doubt we will see anything higher than 20C today if we even get that. It looks like we will have to wait till sometime in June for a temperature of 21C to finally happen.

20C here near Tralee, sipping a smoothie by the pond 😂

Lovely day in the south midlands.. gan scamall sa spéir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Just a slight bit cooler up here in Fanad Co. Donegal, might hit 12 or 13. Ok with a warm jacket on in the breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

21.1°c in West Clare at the moment, fantastic day of weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Kerry airport 21 degrees at 3pm in clear skies and light winds

EIKY 281400Z VRB02KT CAVOK 21/03 Q1026

22 degrees at Kerry Airport now

EIKY 281430Z 02005KT 330V070 CAVOK 22/05 Q1026

Looks like Kerry has reached 22C so finally somewhere has broken the 20C barrier just in time before June.

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Definitely warmed up now in North Dublin

Still a breeze

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful day in Greystones but not warm. 13.3c atm. High of 14.7c. Although great sailing day!

Great day in Kerry, got up to 20.9C here near Tralee, still very mild at 15.6C

NASA EOSDIS from earlier

The front is making for quite a dramatic sky in Arklow right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, switching between hot and sunny and cold and cloudy every minute here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks likecKerry may be the favoured spot today. 17c at Kerry Airport atm, which is currently highest temp in Ireland and UK!

12.4c atm in Greystones. Stiff NE breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

There's been no exceptional warmth this May. But most days in Dublin have gotten up to 16 or 17º at least, which is closer to what you'd expect in June to be honest.

Uo to now, it's been one of the warmest Mays on record - and not just becasue the nights have been mild. The days have too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Cracking weekend in East Cork, all in all 2022 so far has been great, mostly dry and quite sunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Decent weekend in Kilkenny. Yesterday was a lovely day warm sunny and summer like. Today whilst not a disappointment as it was well forecast not to be as good was a bit underwhelming. When the sun came out it was nice but out of the sun which by afternoon was more in than out it was quite chilly. That pesky breeze of course omnipresent.

Today was much more pleasant than I was expecting and certainly sunnier. Despite the cool temperatures it felt mild during the sunshine.

Great day out at zoo today.

It was chilly this morning but by afternoon the sunshine was out + it was beautiful.

Actually felt warmer then temperatures suggested, once you were in sunshine and very little wind for once.

Great day in Kerry, got up to 17.1C. Sunshine dawn to dusk, pic taken at 21.40.

11.8C atm

Cirrus streak over Kerry early afternoon would think shows the track of the Jet Stream, took a picture in Kerry which probably corresponds with the Satellite pic below

NASA

Pic : about 12.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Started raining about 9.30am and its still raining and rather cool.

Leitrim

It's cold in Dublin today.

Only good thing is rain has held off.

I've had to put heating on for an hour to warm up house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Dublin City Centre miserable wet and cold. Feels like it’s about 10 degrees or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If it's any consolidation cold and miserable here in London today and hasn't been great of late bar Friday last week.

A cool 8 degrees at Dublin airport at 7pm

Ireland and Scotland appear to be the coldest part of Europe today. Got close to 20C in parts of Iceland today.

This cold plunge is affecting much of Europe. Temperatures in Portugal are also very dissapointing. Any real warmth is confined to the south-eastern half of Spain, Italy and Greece. Within the next week most of the continent should get the warmth back.

If this was the middle of January the temperature profile across Europe and indeed Ireland would have been very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

A pesky little circulation has somehow appeared out no where on today's models and makes a bee line for yes you've guessed it the uk and ireland ruining what looked like a clear sunny Friday and weekend ,these things can be hard to nail down so hopefully all is not lost yet

Saw that too, fecker of a thing! 😀 Looking a lot more complex now, seems that we might be in a Col for part of the weekend, no mans land between the HP and LP, very hard at this stage to know what kind of shortwave troughs or occluded fronts might be about but the ECM is certainly showing more spells of rain, the only consolation ( to me anyway ! ) is that some of it might be thundery, an upper Low seems to be crossing part of the country at some stage maybe Saturday. Temperatures on tonight's run look a bit down on previous runs also. GFS is a horror show for the B/H Mon, wet and windy, ECM not as bad but not good either, quite wet but not too windy, hmmmm

I think we are going to see changeable charts over the coming days as the models try to come to grips with the patterns. Will make planning events very difficult for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely sunny start in Kildare. Overnight models showing still the uncertainty for the BH

Thankfully a nice sunny morning, although meant to rain by afternoon so enjoy it while you can.

another chilly morning here in Meath but at least it's dry. The outlook over the next 7 to 14 days is generally unsettled and staying on the cool side. I feel we have turned a corner on the overall weather pattern of the past 12 months, but I would have preferred if it had waited until September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How is next week looking on west coast? I have looked at a few forecasts and it's very contradictory.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Next week is generally looking unsettled with rain or showers most days and temperatures around the mid teens. It could be a case of one low pressure after another.

We may get some dryer and warmer weather the following week for 2 or 3 days but it's looking very flimsy.

June looks very unsettled from 6th of June in the west and indeed most of Ireland.

I certaintly would not like to be planning any outdoor activities or events over the next 2 to 3 weeks until we see a big improvement in the models. There is alot of uncertainty in the models but my money is on the unsettled conditions to continue and for June to be quite a cool month. We may begin to see a warm up and something more like summer towards the end of June.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement