Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I’m a bit like Frosty, can’t think of a band in the last 5/10 years that will be great in 30, I keep going back in time to listen to bands I hadn’t before. I’d love to check out any of current potential greats if someone points me, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Glastonbury has always been a political festival, a not-for-profit event founded on left-wing ideals and it remains that way. That's not covert and how it escapes anyone's notice is puzzling. Formerly all the profits went to CND and now they're shared between Water Aid, Greenpeace & Oxfam. Greta Thunberg got a platform this weekend and a lot of political artists. Previously we've had the Dalai Lama denounce China, David Attenborough call for climate action plus Jeremy Corbyn, EP Thompson, Tony Benn and many others speak from the main stage. And long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That high flying birds just did a load of oasis covers and that old lad from the Kanye song spent half the set singing Beatles songs.

Coach to Bristol Airport in 50 mins. Never had that happen before. Fitted in with the rest of a near-perfect weekend.

• Advertisement

List of acts seen, with probable omissions. Full feedback when I'm less tired.

The Libertines

Murray Lachlan Young

Orlando Weeks

Wet Leg

Crowded House

Sleaford Mods

TLC

Idles

The Undertones

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Primal Scream

Hak Baker

Black Midi

WH Lung

Nilufer Yanya

Porridge Radio

Chris Difford & Glenn Tilbrook (with added Michael Eavis)

Leon Bridges

Caribou

Paul McCartney

Herbie Hancock

Jesca Hoop

Diana Ross (25 mins)

Fontaines DC

Damien Dempsey

The Bootleg Beatles

NewDad

The Magic Gang

Kendrick Lamar

And almost all were pretty top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah come on now for an 80 yr old he did amazing, as did Robert Plant....Diana Ross not so but she had her backing singers to drown her out😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still buzzing after Macca. Christ. Diana was a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

We set off about 6.40am..more precaution than anything else as we had loads of time for ferry. It was a straight run out to the motorway with no traffic hold ups at all. We then had a kip at a service station

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That's some list to fit in Seath I'm surprised you had time for the toilet in between, a lot of walking I'd say to catch all these.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

my gosh - some calibre of some of the posters on here.. 😞

but I continue to try and enjoy Boards without letting their bitterness get under my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You're just embarrassing yourself now, probably best to stop posting.

SOME people may have left. But not a significant number. From start to finish that crowd stretched right out to the Cider Bus on the left and the same beyond the hedge to the bar on the right. At the back it went further than I've ever seen before, up and into the tents at the top of the hill, far greater numbers than the Stones, Cure, Dolly or anyone else have commandeered in the past. And he held the crowd til the last.

This was stunning. Atlas at the beginning was amazing as well but not on youtube. The volume of the bass really doesn't come across on youtube 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The "bunch of stuff nobody knew" included Cant Buy Me Love (the 4th highest selling single of the 1960s), Got to Get You into My Life off Revolver, Getting Better off Sgt Pepper and some big big singles like Let Em In etc.

Interestingly 2 of the first 4 songs he played are about weed

It's a not-for-profit festival. They don't make any money from it.

Brilliant report. I'd love to do it with my kids (3 & 6) but I saw a lot of people struggling and I know I would. Taking the older one in the next few years is very appealing but I'd want a dry run at EP/ATN/Vantastival first. In your case having it nearby obviously takes much of the travel hassle away.

The Kidz Field looks amazing, supposedly the largest children's festival in Europe. And so central to the site which cuts out a lot of hassle. Glad you had a great time.

Circa 22km-24km per day. And far less acts than I'd see at EP as you can't easily nip between stages. Those acts were over three days with music from 11am to 1am. Not really a lot over 42 hours with acts doing shorter festival sets. Wait for my EP list BD. 😁

The full Bicep set is on youtube, we'll see how long it lasts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All other festivals are tiny in comparison to Glastonbury and that can make it scary to think of taking kids to, but I think that Glastonbury is by far the safest and most kid friendly of any festival, other than some particularly family orientated ones.

If you've done Glastonbury before then I think you'd be fine. It has absolutely everything you could possibly need on site, and the medical facilities are excellent if worried about anything that might crop up. I guess having made use of those facilities myself in previous years helped me with convincing the wife that going along with a 4 week old would be fine and any issues that might arise could be dealt with.

More entertainment for all the family than you'll ever find anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oh, and in relation to taking the kid along, I took the GPS tracker off the dog and stuck that in a bum bag around the kid with strick instructions to never remove it unless we were in our tent. Was very useful in tracking them down in just the Kidz Field as I could narrow it down to if they were on the climbing wall, the face painting, the juggling, the helter-skelter or anything else in there. Hundreds of kids running wild it did get tricky to spot your own overexcited offspring at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

We have very different interpretations of stunning. You wouldn’t exactly be humming it in the shower would ya ?. Call me old and cranky but I prefer songs. Perfectly willing to accept that things have moved on, but include me out, thanks.

You're absolutely right on all those points. I was very envious of parents who took their kids as I'd love to have shared this experience with my six-year-old who's already a keen fan of the Beatles, Fontaines and a couple of tunes from Bicep (mainly Apricots) though i'm aware that a solo trip with him would limit the music which is fine. The big issue are travel and walking - the trip there from Galway (with a stay in Dublin with pals) took 25 hours and going direct on the way back was 15 hours. The disorganised understaffed cr*p at both Dublin & Bristol airports would be too much plus add in the daily walks of (even if I limit the movement) circa 12km-16km would be tough on a kid. I'll do it someday, but just need to work out the optimum age. Experiencing that stimulation around every corner as a child must be one of the most astonishingly memorable things you could ever have.

Another observation over the weekend was the sheer amount of very young babies there, many of them under three months. Heartening to see and that adds to the tranquility of the place.

Apricots is exactly what you would be humming in the shower. It was the tune of the first lockdown in my household, first played by my better half and the two youngsters quickly latched onto it. Whenever it's played in the car they go berserk. I'm far from being a Bicep fan but the footage of that set looks great and hopefully they'll be added to the EP lineup.

love Nile.. have seen him live several times - was suppose to see him in Cork tonight but I have da covid grr..

i'd say even the bitter folk on here would have a good time at one of his gigs.. hard not to..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Such a childish statement. Do you have to be a certain age to enjoy music? It's all about personal preference at the end of the day

yeah i tuned into that alright - twas his daughter who heard of Billy 1st - he eventually got to know her when he saw her at a gig with like 95 others about 5 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bhail

What gps do you have for the dog? Looking for one without a subscription

• Advertisement

I couldn't find one without a subscription. To have a useful device it needs the mobile sim, so it needs the subscription. Any of the ones that just show you where the dog has been once they come back to you are relatively pointless. Pawfit is the one I have and has been great.

Advertisement