Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DIY beginner

Great thanks! Ya I wanted to prepare myself for anyone I might miss and get excited for the ones I’ll definitely go see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Every year I go to Glastonbury the acts I miss out on add up to an alternative festival that is better than almost other festival on that Summer. And so it will be again this time. I'm already aware of acts on at the same time as Macca that I'll not get to see - Waterboys, Avalanches, orbital (big rumour for Silver Hayes), Lamb, etc, etc. Glasto is the festival with the worst clashes, all the worse for the distances between stages. But heey, we'll see plenty, and it'll (almost all) be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just wait for the clashfinder. Your head will be wrecked looking at all the different stage times and trying to figure out a schedule. Clashfinder makes it easy. But there will be clashes, lots of them.

This is the 2019 one Clashfinder :: Glastonbury 2019 Clashfinder

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Booked the ferry today and gave my tent a good airing.Starting to get that fuzzy feeling again😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

Glad to see Yard Act on there, reckon they'll play another set somewhere too, JPT or Park maybe.

Effectively every last decent indie act we've enjoyed over the past three years is going to be there Rubick. By late June it'll be a case of spotting the odd missing outlier.

I certainly hope so! Was really excited that bdrmm are supporting Mogwai on this tour, as we have tickets for the CQAF gig on Thursday. bdrmm aren't in Belfast with them though ffs. Would love to see them and WH Lung added.

Bdrmm were here in Galway in Nov, supposedly great. Back again this Nov (they obviously enjoy our climate that particular month) but no northern date yet, I'd expect that to change.

A fair few of these acts will be EP bound also.

There's the map out:

• Advertisement

A thing of beauty. Not glanced at one since 2014. Where you camping? My last time was in Bailey's which was a real slog. I may try the Pylon Field again, that was pretty quiet as seemingly very few wanted to stay there. Great for John Peel, Silver Hayes and the Pyramid.

All Worthy View all the time for us! Going to be a pain to get to it this year as we don't have coach tickets, so this is the first year we have to get a taxi from Bristol to the site. Not sure if we can get a taxi straight to WV but I doubt it. Really hope we won't have to get a shuttle from Bath & West Gate - Gate A then the shuttle to WV. The joys of Resale tickets, not that I'm complaining.

Aren't there shuttle buses running from Bristol as always? There were always a dozen outside as I was leaving on Monday morning. I never took any as I was always heading to London so is my assumption wrong?

I'm arriving at Bristol Airport very early on Thur so was hoping there were direct buses there also. Naive of me?

And Worthy View, posh Nordies eh? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Worthy View is lovely but its just too far/high! I dont need huge levels of comfort so Michaels Mead/Hitchin Hill area is perfect. Clean toilets and sinks, not too busy, quiet, near coffee and milk deliveries in the mornings. And its on a hill so doesnt get muddy. Even 2016 t'was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Ever get a whiff from the sewage processing out by Michael's Mead? That put me off in the past. Last time I was in general camping I stayed in the field beside John Peel but they seem to have extended that now and part of it appears to be family camping? I might go to Lower Mead but I still have nightmares from 2005 in my head so want somewhere with a bit of a hill. The worst walk is the walk Monday morning to PGA for the coaches so I always try camp with that in mind.

Camped there in 2003, I remember it being very decent alright, close to the main gate so great for entry and exit. Definitely an option.

Worst place I've ever camped is Oxlyers near both the Other Stage and Silver Hayes. Was great in 1999. By 2011 however........

Baffles me every year why people camp in Oxlyers. Flat, windy, smells of **** (human and bovine) and generally just dirty with all the worst food stalls on site. That area is the worst part of the festival. Don't really like the Other Stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Doesn't it get smelly up there from the slurry pits?

Will be my first time camping at Glastonbury in donkeys years and not sure which direction to head in to pitch up as was looking for a very different festival experience back then. Being in the campervan fields was a luxury as never had to worry about space or noise issues, and I'm an old codger now who doesn't really want to sleep in a smelly ditch anymore.

Haven't been out further west than Arcadia/ Park before, what are those camping areas like for space / rowdyness?

Arcadia/Park are busy. Lots of yoof off their crackers. I wouldn't camp there to be honest if you're planning on kipping well. Too busy and loud. And goes till fairly late as its the nearest camping spot to the SE Corner.

The other side of the festival or the Big Ground are great. Big Ground fills up quite quickly. Ill be heading for Michaels Mead/Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln regardless of what time Im there.

And yeah, Oxylers is right behind the farm that does all the slurry/cow **** stuff.

Just checked. There's a shuttle bus service from the main gate to Bristol Temple Meads station all day Sunday on the hour and every 30 mins from 8.30am on Monday morning. £22. This shuttle bus doesn't operate on taking people to the festival.

Bristol city bus no 376 takes you to Glastonbury town and from there you take the £4 shuttle bus into the festival. Circa £8/9 each way I'd guess. The cheapest but slowest option.

National Express also runs buses from Bristol that cost circa £36-£38 return. Buses direct from Bristol Airport leave at 9am and 12pm and are circa £43. This is what I'm going to try and book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oxylers wasn't on my radar anyway due to being flat and next to the dance area. Seen it very messy down there one year when we were in Pennards and the bottom of that field was 6ft deep in water.

Was thinking that too close to the Pyramid was to be avoided, but guess main rowdyness has moved now with Arcadia and the SE corner now existing. First green bit I find after getting off the bus it is then.

1999 was great, spacious and a good view of the OS. Twelve years later it was wrecked though, exactly as you describe and full of Nitrous Oxide canisters.

And I agree, of the major stages it's the least likeable, crap food and feels like you're at Reading/Leeds/Oxegen.

I think it is actually the Download stage. But yeah, not my go to area. 99 was before my time.

I camped in that area last time - Rig's Field/Baileys. It wasn't rowdy but the sound from Arcadia will keep you awake if you're not a heavy sleeper. It was also too busy given how far away it was from the Pyramid/West Holts, etc. A long uphill slog getting there to camp also. Good though if you want to spent a lot of time around The Park stage.

Cheers Seath - but we're having to go from the Tuesday this time out due to easyJet wanting £808 for x2 seats Belfast - Bristol return from Wednesday - Monday. We're staying at a hotel at Bristol airport on the Tuesday night and the Monday night after so were hoping to avoid having to do the Airport>Bristol Bus Station>Pedestrian Gate A Bus Station>Worthy View Shuttle busarama that we've done in the past. Still working out much cheaper than £808! We've even going to try to get a booze delivery to the airport on the Tuesday night or failing that a click-and-collect on the way, only way to fly baby!

We've never had this issue before as we've always used the multi-bus runs or had Coach Tickets from Bristol. Plan is to get up about 6am on the Wednesday morning, wolf the breakfast into us and jump in a taxi straight to the site if we can. I can't tell you the jealously we had of heads we knew from Belfast that just jumped in a taxi from the airport straight to festival times back in 2016 which was a melt for traffic. I think that was the year we were stuck in Bristol Bus Station for about 4 hours on the Wednesday morning, was mid-afternoon before we got to WV having been at the bus station from about 10am.

Worthy View is great despite the climb, the pre-erected two-man scout tent is great without being glamping material. Plus there's a food stall up there that does duck egg, bacon and brie omlettes which are some kit of a morning!

The Flying Machine Cafe that pitches just out the back of Body & Soul at EP are usually there too just at the top of the hill, but this year they are down in Field of Avalon.

I now pretty much know where you'll be every hour en route to WV. And yeah, the set up appeals, it's already draining enough to get there without lugging (and paying baggage fees for) a tent and spending significant time finding a camping site. See you at WV 2023.

Would have been the early years of the dance area at that point, and on the edge of the site so not on the way to anywhere else.

Exactly, it was pretty close to us and only a single blue tent with nothing else attached. If I'm right it finished pretty early also, roughly the same time as the main stages or not much later, done by 1am.

According that map the coaches drop us off right beside gate A which is where the ticket booth is so I think i'll just collect mine from there.

• Advertisement

Go to pylon or bushy ground. Quiet, tents well spaced out because there’s loads of room and it’s an older crowd generally. You’d probably want to be coming in through gate a though. My group always camps in rivermead which is near bushy ground but it’s also right beside silver hayes so it’s louder.

Advertisement