Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pylon Field is a major option, the most spacious camping area I've seen on site and thus the toilets and water queues were pretty quick. Why so quiet though, people wary of Pylons or a poor location otherwise?

And the map has disappeared, updating it I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Will be dropped at gate A from the bus so that will be handy. Pylon looks like a great location, out of the way, in the wrong direction for anyone new coming in through gate A who will be drawn to the Pyramid and the centre, and I expect the word Pylon scares people away even though they go over most of the northern fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

My very first year (2000) we arrived in the middle of the night and had no idea about the layout or anything else for that matter and just plonked ourselves in the middle of what turned out to be Big Ground in the first empty space. We woke up in the morning thinking it was raining but it was the sound of static from the Pylon line directly above us. I'm sure it won't have any health impacts but the sound was good enough reason to give them a wide berth from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

My first was 1992 and we camped under the pylons. We had occasional sparks coming off our metal tent poles!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

You're really selling me on a return to that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Myself and the rest of our group all got Seetickets to switch the tickets to post pretty easily today by using the contact us form under the order details https://www.seetickets.com/customerservice. Seems like whatever resistance they had over in See has collapsed. Watch your address if you do this. We all had ours set to Antrim which seems to be the default County for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Ha. 2000 was my first yr at the festival. We plonked ourselves at big ground as well near the edge. Quite the sight to wake up to views of pyramid stage.

That was a mad year. Came across few Scouse lads near the fence who had dug a hole/trench under a section of fence and charging people to get in. Walked further around the fence and found sections of it tossed. Guys just walking in (including me !!). Defo a more edgy feel I thought than in subsequent years. New fence obv main factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bring earplugs for sleeping. You need them if you’re tenting anyway and if you camp there you can hear a quiet buzzing sound from the pylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

Something for all the family here I think, mostly!

Little for me, though I could handle Dub Pistols, The Egg and Don Letts in the early hours.

• Advertisement

Don Letts was on mid-afternoon on the Thursday last time (I think, was daylight anyway), but he's playing two sets in Glade alone and could pop up elsewhere. Mixmaster Morris too if you fancy some ambient oddities. Really interested to hear Nick Warren B2B with Daddy G, the latter formerly with Massive Attack (Blue Lines era) - the pair DJed together in the early 90s in Bristol, that could be a classic set in every sense of the word.

But then again, all these smaller stages usually get bumped down the must-see order once the full line-up is released. Sasha & Digweed will be Thursday apparently so that's good for house music aficionados that can't get into the Temple for a rave.

I think the only time I've stopped at The Glade in the past decade is to see Jon Hopkins there in 2014 before I headed to Bryan Ferry. As ever I expect to be between West Holts, John Peel, Park and Pyramid with the odd stop off in William's Green and the Acoustic. Further flung stages I see little of unless there's a run of 2/3 great acts.

Steve Davis doing his French prog rock thing at 1.45am in the Glade Dome after Macca. You may well see me there for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Saw The Utopia Strong upstairs in Whelans early in 2020. Very enjoyable and nice to see Mr.Davis behind a modular synth, twiddling knobs.

Mad Professor Dubs Lee Perry, yes please.

Perennial favourites System 7 would be nice, if only to hear Alpha Waves (which they play like Plastikman's remix rather than their own original version). Sure here, may as well put it up as it never gets old:

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Acoustic. I know the Acoustic always has a bit of an Irish slant but holy moly.

Excellent, a fair few I'll catch in there. The big downside, the very BIG downer is missing The Waterboys (seen them in 1986, 1989 and 2003) as I'll not miss Macca's goodbye for anything. Very Irish in there.

When I tell you for a moment that herself and I thought Novelty Island was going to be Reeves & Mortimer...

First potential clash rears up for us as Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott seem to be up against Primal Scream, who have self-confirmed for JPT on the Friday headline slot. We've never even been to the Acoustic Stage yet in all our visits.

I've only seen two headliners in my last two visits but I'll head to all three this time. I reckon the Billie Eilish set will be impressive and there'll be the odd guest slot including Johnny Marr for No Time to Die.

The Acoustic Stage is just a basic tent but with consistently good stuff (Caught Clannad and Martin Stephenson & the Daintees there last time). The area used to be one of my favourite in the festival - Real Ale/Craft Beer bar beside it with loads of choice, Cinema Tent and a two-story wooden chalet where they served breakfast and you could sit and eat on the balcony looking over the site. The last I think is gone, definitely the cinema tent and possibly the bar.

Kills me that I'll be missing both the Waterboys and Richard Thompson on Sat night. Macca likely to have a set of 150-180 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Sorry to go OT, but does anyone have any recommendations for a day rucksack/backpack to bring to Glasto? My current one has seen better days. Something not too cumbersome and waterproof ideally. Probably too close to the date to risk buying anything off AliExpress in case it doesn't arrive in time.

Back onto camping again, my pals and I are looking at Bushy Ground for this year but I guess it can get flood if the weather is bad?

Otherwise South Park 1/2 could be good.

Anyone with recent experience of either? Busy?

Nowhere floods anymore they fixed the drainage after 2005. In 2016 they got a months worth of rain in 3 days right before the gates opened and it was muddy but it was fine. Bushy ground will be grand if your looking for somewhere a bit quieter with more space. We always camp in Rivermead which is sort of between bushy ground and silver hayes. I've never camped anywhere else so can't speak for south park.

I got a 90l rucksack in TK Maxx a few years ago that still going strong. It's handy because literally everything except some of my alcohol fits in it so I'm not trying to drag loads of different bags through airports and bus stations like some people do.

Also, the glade delivering as usual, Marshall Jefferson?!

Post edited by MadYaker on

• Advertisement

Thanks Yaker, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. The quiet isn't important but the space is, particularly as there's three of us meeting up and we need somewhere to pitch tents on Thursday morning when most people are already camped. The location is great also, no great hike from there to any of the main stages bar The Park.

We normally stay over near the bus park. It's welllllll away from everywhere but then we are very old and can't be dealing with these damn kids and their Rock and Roll radio music. 😃. But it is great that they moved John Peel so close a few years ago.

I stayed on Hitchin Hill in 2003 and found it pretty good, enough space and the distances were fine. And I'm pretty sure there's a distinct lack of youth on this forum, my age given away by my username for starters.

Haha. Ah no, it's cool. Tradition at this stage. Have been going there for almost 15 years. Can stagger back with eyes closed. Handy being higher. I know the drainage had improved immensely but still nice to be on high ground. Getting closer now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got from my tent in Hitchin Hill to the pit for ZZ Top in 6 minutes. Great place to camp. Aiming for there this year too.

Milky milky in the morning.

Great for making White Russians first thing in the morning.

We've only ever seen the milkman once, at the crossroads between Glade and Pennard.

"You'll all be looking for it laterrrr!"

They stick to the big walkways because it’s a massive tractor so they don’t pass through every campsite.

There appears to be tickets:

Haven't tried entering details. Sunday tickets available too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There's been a lot of announcements for this I wish EP would start making some more of them too, time is a pain in the ass when you would like to know who is playing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement