Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass looks burnt

Options
  • 01-03-2022 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I put down a new lawn last summer and the first couple of months it looked great lovely and green.

When we moved into winter it looked as if it was burnt with the grass yellowing in large areas.

Is there anything I can get for the grass to make it green again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's probably just a bit yellowed at the tips from frost.

When it starts growing again these will be removed with the first cut.

Personally. I'd give it another few weeks before I put fertiliser on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Sorry should of been more specific, it's been like this for about 3 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you have a dog? Or more precisely, a bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

What is soil conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I did much the same and had a similar looking lawn so I put a winter fertiliser down in November. It strengthens the roots without making the grass grow.

try a good quality fertiliser and lookup a YouTube channel from a gardener called Robbie based in the north, I followed his advice and it’s working out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

His channel is Premier Lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

New grass is often yellow for the first winter until its gets its roots down. I reseeded part of my back garden last summer and its got a lot of yellow now. Hoping it will green up from April onwards as the weather warms up and night frosts become a thing of the past.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

If you get mysterious patches of yellow grass and you own a bitch it is very likely that the animal has been urinating on the grass, the main reason for damage by a bitch is that the urine tends to be more concentrated in one spot, whereas a dog will spread it around more. Sufficiently diluted it will be a fertilizer, but as with commercial fertilizer too much in one spot will burn. I get the impression though that the OP's problem is all-over yellowing so nothing to do with dogs, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Maybe all the neighbour bitches urinate on their lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

In a bit of a similar situation. Was thinking of using a product called Gazon Rooster off pergola nurseries in Virginia Co. Cavan. Anyone got any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Suffering the same fate here. New lawn in last year, large swaths of it Ive had to cut 2x already its growing so much but other large sections its very scant and bare with ground showing and very yellowish tips, no growth what so ever. Any advice?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with fertilizer advice

Unfortunately it looks like everyone on here is none the wiser than us with regards to fertilizer.

I can't help you with fertilizer as I almost never use it. However there has been lots of discussion about lawns and fertilizers on the forum at various times, so if you do a search you would probably find something - like this, for example https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/83524712#Comment_83524712

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Grass can yellow for many reasons.

Too much water.

Too much fertiliser.

Nutrient deficiencies

Dog urine.

And more.

First step is to decide on the most likely cause.

If it needs fertiliser then 7 6 17 is a reasonable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Whats the best cure for the yellowing cause by dogs urine please?

If the damage is done then remove the dead grass and reseed.

Heavy dilution with water immediately will minimise the damage but once yellowed it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Reseeding it is so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

After dog urine? Not at all. Too much nitrogen already killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Was replying to original post. Removed reply as other had said. Don't know nothing of dog urine not an issue I've met.

Advertisement