Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian family moving to Ireland 2023 - Best town for young outdoorsy family (2+2 small kids)?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Assuming you'll be able to continue putting fuel in your car at an affordable rate! Rural Ireland is badly exposed in terms of public transport. I see OP looks for railway links between major cities - good luck at finding them and paying for the tickets on the few that operate.

I think peoples circle of travel will lessen over the next decade and two. We'll still be able to get about a lot more easily that the 19th and early 20th centuries but nowhere as readily as the last 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The OP is no longer looking for a permanent move to Ireland but instead a holiday home for ~€300k.

Killarney is absolutely a top holiday destination in Ireland but a house for that budget would probably just get you something in a housing estate in Killarney.

Like everyplace on the planet the more desirable locations are more expensive.

That being said there are many locations outside of Killarney and in Kerry both rural and semi-rural than are close to both the beach and the mountains that may be available in the OP holiday home budget range.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No, I was there for an event. I'm originally from somewhere quite close and would have spent a fair bit of time in Killarney as I have family there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Can honestly say that you’re the first person I ever heard say that they ‘hate’ Killarney. Have heard people say it’s a bit touristy and a bit ‘diddly i’, but ‘hate’, never.

Personally, I’ve always liked it and think that it would be a pretty nice place to purchase a holiday home, if not in the town itself, perhaps in its hinterland. Having said that, I’ve only ever been there for long weekends and am only familiar with it from a very superficial perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Personally, I would stick to the eastern half of Ireland. Western half is more beautiful and Irish but my god the weather is horribleIf you can handle wind and rain for 75% of the year I’d choose the west. Eastern half of Ireland gets about 50% of the rain the west does get, and is much less windy. All down to your tolerance of bad weather I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I didnt comment on the response to me, as the poster said they were not there as a tourist, they were there for an 'event' -which makes them a tourist. I live in the center of town, but I am 500m from the park, where there are trails that I can go out on and do 5km loop, and not met a sinner, even in peak tourist season. I know all the restaurants that are off the beaten track in town, or I can go to main street which is 'buzzing' with live music in bars and buskers, and a bit more milanos style restaurants.

I walk my dog every day in a park -25,000 acres-definitely unspoiled and not tacky. I ride my mountain bike across mountains and terails that are second to none. I also ride my road bike about 15,000km per year on some of the most beautiful roads in europe,

They didnt say what they hated about it, so I cant confirm or deny their thoughts.

Me, I love the access to quiet spots and wildlife, some of my friends like it for the restaurants and the nightlife.

Granted, property is expensive here, but for the quality of life it is worth it.

I do agree with many of the posters saying that the weather is better on the East-if only.... 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Op have you ever considered Dundalk?

I live in Blackrock just outside the town which is a lovely seaside village that is always bustling, loads of new houses being built around and although it may be considered more high end with prices, you still have a load of good housing stock around the area that is decently priced.

Dundalk/Blackrock have beaches and lovely walks, you have Carlingford only 20mins drive out the peninsula, plenty jobs about, only 40 minutes from Dublin Airport. The location is the north east, mid point between Dublin and Belfast served by the M1 motorway which is great. You can get to Dublin in 50 Mins and Belfast in an hour which open up a lot of areas.

There is a 3rd level college (Dundalk Institute of Technology), which would draw plenty of new people to the area yearly and allow for better investment in the area also.

Dundalk has a population of about 42,000 so it has all the benefits of a small city but still a small feel. I moved here over 2 years ago and everyone has been very nice, a real community feel for the place, both local and new "blow ins" which allows for a nice mix.

Regarding Hikes etc there is Ravensdale Forrest park the other side of the town, further up is Slieve Gullion Forrest Park, also Slieve Foye out the penninsula behind carlingford and also the Mourne mountains not too far either.

You will probably hear a lot of people suggesting the usual touristy places like Kilkenny, Killarney, Galway etc which are lovely spots but well worth looking Dundalk and Blackrock Co Louth, as a newbie here it will surprise many to see what is on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derek01

Which town to you live near? Do you find Kerry much cheaper than the more urban areas on the east coast for day to day stuff? I’m currently scouting Kerry-Galway-Mayo as potential destinations. My wife and i are considering moving back to Ireland from Toronto (I’m originally from Louth). So this thread is very helpful. I’ve always loved the SW & West coasts so thinking this would be a good opportunity given the lower house prices compared to east coast. Toronto winters are muck! So I’d easily trade in the -20s for a wet west coast winter.

You know, I love Kerry, and Killarney, but I can also accept that it is very expensive. While there are an awful lot of amenities etc.

I did a lot of traveling around Ireland last year, one thing that surprised me is how amazing Sligo is, prices are much cheaper than Killarney,getting the opinion of someone that lives there would be interesting. Leitrim I've been told is very beautiful also, but I think Sligo seems to have lots of amenities.

Anyone that tells me that Killarney, or anywhere is touristy, when they have never lived here, but only been on holidays, or'events'. I'd take their opinion with a few grains of salt.

Id be getting opinions of people that live there, or grew up there, have kids there, etc. the community spirit in Killarney is amazing, the amount of sports available to kids is fantastic, and growing all the time, all that's needed here is more investment in inoor attractions for kids and teens-and a solution to the worsening traffic problem-victims of our own success, unfortunately, I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Did you miss the bit where I mentioned that I'm from close to Killarney. That's why weddings and other events I go to tend to be in hotels there. And fwiw I worked there for a couple of summers in college. Not a tourist.

OP is looking for a holiday home now, better off further up the coast.

There is no point asking anyone from somewhere for an opinion, everyone seems to think their hometown is the best. It's an Irish thing. this thread is just evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t live anywhere near the places I recommended. Because I live in a village in the south east - that does happen to be awesome - but not what the op is looking for.

if I were to move somewhere it would be a middling sized town with great parks and amenities nearby which is why I’d be looking at the likes of dungarvan, kilkenny, Tralee and Killarney. I’d like to be able to walk or bike almost everywhere I needed to.

Hahaha!! Very true!

Seriously, are you for real?. you worked in hotels here in the summer? as a student?

Lots of people did, as a vacation mostly, they went out to pubs and clubs with people they worked with-lots of students. You go to weddings here-you know that that is considered domestic tourism? Have you raised a family here? attended gp's? been involved in community events? worked or experienced facilities for disabled and elderly?

Your opinion is valid for what youve experienced, but it is not living here as a family. and you obviously enjoyed your summers working here, as you kept coming back-it was not the pay that kept you coming back here that's for sure-

Jesus I grew up in a rural town and never experienced or worked in facilities for the elderly or disabled

Even when I grew up in a small village, being born in the 70's, my grandmother needed home help. There was a neighbour that had downs syndrome.

The facilities and help were not available then that are now though. Transport For Ireland TFI, Rehabcare and kerry parents and friends, St Mary of the Angels, nursing homes, mens sheds, care for autistic children, schools with high numbers of SNA's, hence some of the reasons Killarney has a great quality of life.

https://evoke.ie/2017/01/02/life-style/travelnews/killarney-best-place-in-the-world-to-retire

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/best-of-ireland/killarney-named-among-top-places-in-the-world-to-retire#:~:text=Killarney%20has%20been%20named%20as,%E2%80%9Cretirement%2Dworthy%20spots.%E2%80%9D

I could go on, but anyway........ 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi Daney,

Did you make any moves yet?

I'd love to know how you and your family are getting on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement