Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do They Really Care or Just Trend Followers?

• 02-03-2022 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Like a switch, all the same ones on social media who put up their BLM black square, had their facemask profile photo, Got My Booster badge have - and I mean literally at the same time like a switch - all put up Ukraine flags or #PrayforUkraine hashtags.

I don't believe any of these types of people - and they are the majority - actually give a toss about anything other than them being seen as wonderful in the eyes of their peers.

Makes you really see how things like the Milgram Experiment defines human behaviour more than their own free individual ideas and emotional reaction. It's just follow the rest of the herd and following orders. Social Media demonstrates how close we are to things like Pol Pots 'Year Zero' and the Chinese Cultural Revolution with so many people following along in a state of ad hoc histrionics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I've always had a good laugh at these types who bend over backwards to fit in with their peers. But now the movements are created in such a way that not participating is enough to get you into hot water in one way or another i.e. if you don't take the knee, if you don't put your pronouns in your work profile.

Now this is a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They like attention and being noticed and noticeable…

They also get off on their attempts to influence others.. the whole ‘ influencer‘ shîte.

^^^^this is what has become of so many people, these people in 2022…it’s pitiful…just wanting views, likes, comments and attention…puke

negative, positive, doesn’t matter, attention is their currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The real heroes are the ones showing no support, or solidarity.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Just because you don't show it doesn't mean you don't

• Advertisement

Hunger for attention.

Claps for the nurses now standing ovation for Ukraine. Give yourselves a pat on the back. 😮‍💨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

nah its the ones clamouring over themselves to show that they are showing no support. That's how you really fit in these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Trend followers.

News media consumption is providing these people with constant stimuli - and they combine ignorance with outrage.

E.g. getting upset when told Ukraine is a very corrupt country which it is plus *how do you not know that already??* unless you know next to nothing about Ukraine?

Also the ubiquity of news media and constant trauma from rolling crises and emergencies creates a kind of hypnotic trance.

Some boardsies have part-drained their bank accounts to send money to an IBAN based at the Ukrainian National Bank which they believe will spent on arms to fight the invaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I wish to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Putin is an absolute madman and I'm not selling him anymore iPhones however I will continue to purchase his gas and oil

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id wager a good portion of those with Ukranian flags in their profiles here, on FB etc havent a clue where Ukraine is.

One friend of mine that has his FB page posted with Ukranian flags thought it was in the middle east!!!!!

Sheeple!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

"How dare they invade people who look and act like us! Civilized people!"

Turns blind eyes to Yemen, Palestine, Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Gambia etc

Yes but the ever virtuous United States are affiliated in some way with most of those conflicts so nothing to see there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Exactly. But only the Russians are subjected to propaganda. Never us. No no, our media is completely honest and unbias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It is plain virtue signaling by the social justice warriors. I was shown this post of someone comparing Ukraine to George Floyd. Imagine comparing a serial criminal getting killed to hundreds of civilians getting killed. Comparing them to George Floyd should actually be offensive to them. Everything always has to be brought back to George Floyd. I just don't read social media nor do I follow foreign wars. I have zero interest in what is going on in Ukraine just like they had zero interest in my country's troubles. I am just being honest, better that than virtue signaling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The most annoying virtue signaling comes from the ones who endlessly want everyone to know how righteous they are in opposing virtue signaling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I know someone who does Darkness Into Light every year, gets her photo taken, all over FB etc. When an old friend of mine took his own life and I mentioned it to her, the reaction was not what I expected. She could barely hide her derision. I think I know the thought process - just another weak, useless, selfish man who killed himself.

In addition to those who virtue signal, there are those who probably do care to an extent but are completely clueless as to what is going on. I know someone who has a Ukraine flag as her profile pic but is absurdly ignorant about history and geography. Hadn't heard of Putin until last week and thought Poland and Russia were the same country! The fact that countries like Lithuania, Romania and Slovakia exist and are different countries is also bewildering for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are desperately trying to replace the lost religion in their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I stopped using Facebook in 2020. Is it still shíte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you enjoy getting wound up, and angry, about the world, and what other people are doing, it’s great. Even has “algorithms” designed to keep your rage simmering, if you’re that way inclined.

Very popular with the types who frequent the “Current Affairs”, and “Radio”, forum. The same crowd who will, religiously, watch ‘The Late Late Show’ just so they can get all angry and complain about it. Can’t be healthy.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

indeed , the religion of WOKE also offers the same communal experience whereby certain events and topics can be shown pious deference

beit kneeling and holding your fist up at the BLM protest of 2020 or putting up a Ukraine flag on your social media profile , no different to doing stations of the cross in the past or wearing a noticeable crucifix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Clap on doorstep for frontline workers. Or worse still, sing Ireland’s Call.

Walk back inside, get on unsocial media, feel good about yourself.

Hope they get paid a decent wage which may involve paying slightly higher tax? Haha, fck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Another point I forgot to make is that I find the British reaction to this hypocritical. When anything related to the war crimes during the troubles is mentioned they are always quick to turn defensive and make excuses for the British army . You would think butter wouldn't melt in their mouths with their reaction to this. It is hard to stomach actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's cool to be seen to be empathetic, but people only pretend. Most people have no genuine empathy, they actually can't because very few can relate to an individuals feelings, because they're not that individual. They care for the likes, and it's forgotten as soon as the next meme or post they put up. Did I hear a load of celebs got together to sing Imagine or something like that? That helps... They could use their millions to actually help. But that costs money and requires them to leave their fancy mansions and beaches. We're all in the same boat! Mine is a toy though...

I'm 100% on board with the late, great Agent Smith:

"I'd like to share a revelation during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague..."

Trust the Science.

Love is love.

D*cks out for Harambe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

What a bitter and cynical corner of the internet this place has become.

Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course, people care about what is happening.

My nephew in his thirties no interest in politics or anything outside himself self was shouting A Hole at the news when Putian can on the other day real anger.

How social media shapes is annoying thought.

I am donating to an NGO that will help the refugees.

The ones I don't understand are the ones saying if you have a spare room give it to a homeless family in Ireland, knowing full well a homeless family won't take a spare room in rural Ireland, yet it seems to make them feel important to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Can we all get together, and sing John Lennon's Imagine😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's more projection in this thread than at the back of the Savoy 1. As soon as I saw the thread title , I knew which posters would be tripping over themselves to have a good whinge, and I was right.

Have a great weekend lads.

The real heroes are the ones who have given their tangible support without thankswhoring on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

People complaining and being cynical about others profiles are just as bad. People complaining about people complaining are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Performative sh1te like that has it's own name and all

Advertisement