Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Kelly stepping down

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't think Bacik is a particular strong candidate as a party lesder but the biggest problem for labour is that she is the best choice.

Someone mentioned earlier that Labour best chance is to compete with the Soc Dems and Greens and possible best them. I don't think they have any chance of doing that given the current state of quality of Labour politicians. They have very few politicians that stand out or will generate alot support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's a long time ago now,but there was a time when The Labour Party did in fact resonate with "Ordinary People" and at least some of it's leaders fought a good fight for those "Ordinary People"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cluskey

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Agree. They need to ditch the academic type new Labour shite and get back to relating to the working public. Thats why Bacik is a bad pick IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

New party name would be needed,

No Manual Labour doesn't really have a great ring to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If they did, it was likely while clutching their pearls in a "Won't someone think of the northsiders' children out there in... DCU? Yes, DCU!" way, because 40+ **** years after the referendum, it's still not been acted on. If any of them were serious about it, it would have been very easy to embarrass the government into doing something about it. A PQ every two months. A "Really, Minister?" evisceration of Dermot Ahern when he introduced the crime of blasphemy to the statute books "because it's in the constitution and people voted for the constitution so we have to act on that..." Something? Anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don’t disagree, but i has never gotten any serious public momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps it means that one should respect one's betters especially if they attended Trinners. :) It is the kind of forelock tugging that is rarely seen these days.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

All this talk about Labour and the working-class is hs. They've been the party of the urban liberals since the '70s, the days of Conor Cruise O'B and David Thornley.

Was listening to Bacik on the radio at lunch time, she's Thornley without the problems that unfortunate individual had. Big improvement communications skills-wise on AK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's likely people are already on the verge of leaving the party.

Ivana never even truly identified as Labour unless she was fighting fighting a seat in the Dail.

Bizarre that Labour have got into a position of electing someone like Bacik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Have they all gone to join the Russian army or what? 12 days and not a whimper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think he would make a great County Councillor. He always reminded me of that 'type'.

Advertisement