Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish venues - and the good times you had.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Klub Kaos in cork had some great times there still operating as a venue to this day unusual these days as has been going since the 70s at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A very young and unsigned Duran Duran supported Hazel O'Connor in the Grand around 1980. The Ramones played the State Cinema, Phisboro too in 1978. These were venues trying to reinvent themselves. I think the Grand is still a Bingo hall while the State is a shambles when I walked passed it last December. I remember it as a cinema in the late 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was at that JAMC gig. Primal Scream played TCD same night so rushed back into town after.

Yeah, Hope did some good ones.

Babes In Toyland

Heavenly

(think both in Fox & Pheasant)

No Means No - saw them same time as you

Fugazi in McGonagles and then SFX with Chumabwamba in 1992

Bikini Kill, Bis, Team Dresch in Charlie's 1996

A lot of punk and hardcore bands played Galavan's New Ross 1992-1997. My hometown so saw hundreds of great bands there - Citizen Fish, AOS3, Subhumans, Dawson, Flexihead, Herb Garden, Decadence Within, Gout, Arnheim....

That Sugarcubes gig was class. 14 October 1989 - they also played night before. Here Today, Tomorrow Next Week tour. They played all of Life's Too Good & encored with Cat. Was right at the front so got Einar's t-shirt. Broke in Ox Blood docs on the way home. Serious pain.

Also in the SFX, I saw

Jesus & Mary Chain supported by The Motorcycle Boy - Darklands tour 1987

The Wonder Stuff on the Hup tour 1989 - gig was oversold. Jammed.

The Wedding Present (Bizarro tour) - February 1990. Gig postponed twice.

The House Of Love - March 1990. Fontana tour.

The Wedding Present (Seamonsters tour) - May 1991. Buffalo Tom support. Crazy moshers.

Therapy? Christmas 1992. Free 7" on the way in with covers of With Or Without You & Teenage Kicks. Silverfish supported

Suede on the Dog Man Star tour

Inspiral Carpets again - think 1992

That Cramps gig in 1995 was class. Cold night and venue was chilly though.

In the Rock Garden, I saw Fatima Mansions. Valhalla Avenue time.

Lush played there on Spooky tour.

As did Mercury Rev and Swervedriver around 1992/1993

Whipping Boy launched Submarine there.

Back to McGonagles, A House & The Frank & Walters played a great gig around the time of I Am The Greatest.

As did Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

Nirvana's 1991 McGonagles gig was cancelled the night Ned's played. News broke in Foggy Dew and some people went down and flogged their Nirvana tickets afterwards to unsuspecting fans. The gig is listed on the back of the Smells Like Teen Spirit 7".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Castle nightclub, Salthill in Galway, lovely memories of that place in the 1990s.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was at a fair few of those gigs. Babes In Toyland played two Dublin gigs a couple of days apart, I think. I was at the Charlies one, then they played the Fox & Pheasant one that you were at. Never got to see Fugazi, though. Always something else came up. I was gutted that I missed them with Chumbawamba in the SFX. I think me and my mates were given posters by the guys form Hope to put up in the record shops in Dublin for that. I had one on my wall for years anyway.

Brawl were from New Ross, if I remember correctly. I heard there was a great scene down there. I remember they supported Alice Donut in Barnstormers. Much later in life, I got to know one of their drummers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Is there anyone still alive who remembers Sloopys and Zhivago in Dublin 😂 .... or the Ritz in Carlow????

Magic times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had tickets for the Dublin gig since about three rescheduled dates ago. Actually not sure where they even are currently due to being mid house renovation

• Advertisement

Brawl were great; they usually played on the bill. Supported Silverfish on their Irish tour in 1993. Crispo was the drummer although there was another as line up changed a bit. The pub was Galavan's, gigs out the back which was built against the side of what was effectively a cliff. Roofed and all. Some weekends you had bands on both Friday and Saturday. Most of the punk bands did Dublin - New Ross - Cork on their itinerary. So many good memories of then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Brain fart sorry. Or typo. The right name was in my head and the wrong name came out my typing fingers. I was meaning to write Lennoxs. Not Lynchs.

One of their charms was that no matter the time of day or night the main owner working behind the counter was able to take 10 or 20 orders in his head and just remember them in the right order. So by the time you got to the counter your order was ready. We even tested him a few times by ordering then changing our positions in the queue and he still got us by face when we arrived up front and knew our order.

Nancy Spains I think was the name of the small place that sometimes had small gigs on. Don't think it is still going? Was only a couple 100m walk away as I recall. Saw some nice gigs there in the past though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont remember the Duran Duran one but I was at that Ramones gig in the State cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes, that would be it. Sadly Nancy Spains was demolished last year, had been lying empty for well over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

The Jolly Marine in Athlone.

I still can't hear "Dress You Up" by Madonna without being transported back to their disco.

• Advertisement

Can not remember when I saw a few shows there. I have a partner who is from Cork. And I started going out with her just over 15 years ago. So it would have been sometime in or a little before that I think.

The older I get - the more difficult I find it to put memories in the correct temporal order :) Which I suppose is better than losing the memories. I'd rather keep my memories but forget what order they happened rather than lose them. Given the choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

My heart still sinks when I walk past what used to be the Castle. I hated dance music, yet that was the club my friends all wanted to go to. To tell the truth, I had my eye on the guys who went to the Oasis, but that was 'Over 21s'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

The band we supported in the Rock Garden were called The Elite ... they were a hard rock type band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Back in the 90's The Abby Inn, Tralee. This was when it had sawdust on the floor on Wednesday night. They did a big fix-up job on the place a few years back turned it into some kind of plush superpub, alas, it since bit the dust and closed down.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭rainagain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wiped. We were punk type band, did Ramones covers etc. and a few of our own. We were just kids, not very good. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Gorbys is voodoo now klub kaos used to be middle floor and gorbys top floor sometimes they would open the doors so you could go between both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Just passed by this thread thinking about seeing PWEI in the Tivoli.

The Fun Lovin' Criminals Olympia gigs were always great, and the "see you in Éamonn Doran's" after.

I still have all my tickets which is something I miss about more recent gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Anyone here from down Tipperary way?? anyone remember Katie Daly's near killaloe?? mad place altogether😋 but in fairness they had some good acts on now & again - Smokie, Furey Brothers, Chips, Racey, Joe Dolan etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Nancys had some great gigs for local bands. Gone now as is Gorbys, the Lobby, Henrys. The Golden horde and Sultans was always a great double header back in the day in Henrys. The Half Moon was a fantastic venue when it was up and running. Different areas with different stuff going on. Great alternative scene there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dublin

McGonagles in Dublin - especially Club Voodoo and Soul On Ice nights late 80s

Sides

Olympic Ballroom

Belfast

Vicos, late 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was wondering would anyone mention Sides. The sheer delight of finding a club where you weren’t required to dress like a Miami Vice extra to get past the bouncers. The joy of hearing music that never got played on radio (except perhaps John Peel) . A late club that was all about music, not about the chance of a sloppy snog.

McGonagles Nite Club ( according to the sign outside) was fun too. I remember the Pogues first Irish gig there, with the bouncers frantically trying to keep the moshing crowd separated from the band on the very slightly elevated stage. After about ten minutes, the bouncers gave up , and the the crowd blended with the band for the remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

Viper Rooms, opened ridiculously late, always had a good night, met some really interesting people there, seemed to be full of people in good spirits who wanted to party on longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

The William Tell. Now the Hairy Lemon. Many a night there I hit the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Fourm in Waterford

Saw a few gigs down through the years, remember a great Thin Lizzy tribute band called Limehouse Lizzy used to play there often. Saw Tommy Tiernan down there when he was top of his game in the mid 2000s. I regret not seeing Christy Moore in the venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Probably too soon to mention Charlie Brown's in Athlone. Ideal local for the Willie Parkers and students of AIT. Pool tables, loads of screens, bands and DJs, no 2 nights the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Had some good gigs meself and been to some great events at the Bernard Shaw. Alas, like the Tivoli, knocked down for hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I loved the Desmond when it was the Stool and of course you also had Termights and Quins although that wasn't a venue. All sadly closed within a year or 2 of each other.

Advertisement