Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Cant remember the festival, but recently enough EP. B&S, ATN? Young lad about 12 (maybe 17) starts counting every can out my icebox, the bollocking he got from the manager/supervisor was not nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

With the day-by-day breakdown coming out nice and early, is it too much to be hoping for actual stage times the week of the June bank holiday? Anyone know/remember what they did last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I did the Clashfinder last year and the create date on it was the 4th for the festival when it was on the 10th

They also had the info on some generic festival app closer to the day. I'll have to go dig up what it was called.

Edit: App is called Woov and there is a place holder event for BTP 2023 there but no timetable yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Whipping Boy

3 weeks today... the excitement is building with this weather.

Who's top of everyone's list to see?

Couple of recommendations outside of the main headliners (everyone knows Hot Chip bring a party)

Tinlicker: Dutch electronic duo that I had never heard of before but really enjoying. Should be a cracker based on this set: https://youtu.be/F35xoJOxamg

Grandbrothers: Again, another find from this festival. Beautifully layered piano-led instrumentation with satisfying crescendos: https://youtu.be/BvNa8gKoIYA

Honourable mentions to the likes of Los Bitchos, Jape, Christian Loffler, For Those I Love, Dope Lemon...there really is huge depth to that undercard

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CorkScot

Skinner and Jockstrap from the undercard should be great. Very different sounds right enough!

Hoping Jon Hopkins brings his big tunes for the Friday night. Like his ambient stuff, but his Singularity album is a banger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I saw Skinner supporting someone (Bambara?) in The Academy 2 last year. Not bad. Very much American slacker indie fare (in musical style, i know he's Irish).

Post edited by Dreamweapon on

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Jaysis yeah, Jon Hopkins is definitely right up there! I'd be 95% sure it will be the usual festival set with all the classics thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Van Doozy

Not much mention of Leftfield in the thread? I saw them last at Witnness 2000 (showing my age now heh). 

Well they're my must see for the weekend anyway. If for no other reason than nostalgia, though my (hazy) recollection is a fantastic show.

Anyone seen them recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seen them at RockNess festival in Scotland 2010, Jim King the promoter managed to talk them out of retirement after 9 years, RockNess was their first reappearance I also caught them same year again at Electric Picnic and then at Body & Soul festival in 2015. All excellent gigs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Leftfield would be the biggest draw for me on that lineup. I think the most recent appearance was Vicar St. 2018? Decent enough but have seen them much better. Loved their sets at EP and B&S. The Point 1996 will never be topped but that's ok, that was a magical night. They are still worth your time and attention though, and not just for nostalgia sakes.

I have just seen they're playing Belfast Mandela Hall on June 16th.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How far is BTP from Ballinlough Castle, it would be great to do a tunnel from BTP to B&S. 😆

Edit: Actually that would be a hell of a walk at 127 Kilometres.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Fantastic memories of Leftfield in the pouring rain at one of the first Forbidden Fruits (2011 maybe - can't be arsed Googling...). I was less into the Body and Soul gig but having your 5 year old along for the ride does make for a different experience :)

The new album is well well worth a listen for anyone into electronic music and a must if you're a fan - their best work since the 1990s I'd say.

Major nostalgia value for me as along with The KLF, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk they were a big part of turning me on to electronic music in a serious way. Back then I was still mainly an indie kid - nowadays it's mostly electronic music I'm listening to.

The likes of Leftfield, Jon Hopkins, DJ Seinfeld, Joy O and more all on the one bill have me a little overexcited....

Leftfield been doing live shows in the UK over the last 10 days with setlists blending the new album with some 90's classics, what looks like an impressive enough light show and positive reviews online.

'Release The Pressure' live - I can't wait!!!

Some non-headline acts I'd recommend are...

* For Those I Love (Irish rap - almost more like spoken word and not the most uplifting of themes. Afaik he doesn't do many live gigs so I'm crossing all fingers & toes that he's not clashing with Jon Hopkins or Soichi Terada)

Tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AM80tpfBQ

* Soichi Terada - Japanese DJ / Nintendo game soundtrack guy - even older than I am

Tune(s): https://www.mixcloud.com/musiclover1980/soichi-terada-essential-mix-2022-03-05/

* Florist - no idea who they are but they sound only gorgeous

Tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNIqP0kLzQ

* Dope Lemon - Very laid back indie rock from Australia

Tune: https://youtu.be/MetXyUFY3Ts

* Marie Davidson - This one could be a bit unpredictable... but the below links show major potential...

TUNE!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV51kGn1WUQ (dodgy 80s aerobics music video alert)

DJ mix of goodness: https://www.mixcloud.com/residentadvisor/ra857-marie-davidson/

* Mano Le Tough - local Greystones boy so have to give him a mention. Keep missing him when he plays in Ireland so please let him not be on at the same time as Leftfield...

Tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxtyLfxcgo&list=RDPGxtyLfxcgo&start_radio=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I haven't been to a music festival in a loooong time, but what's the situation with the number of stages? I'd be raging if two of my favourite artists are playing at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

4 stages/tents, though only really 3 are decent sized

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Just wondering if there's a spotify playlist made for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

So when does everyone think the official sitemap and timetable will be released?

Sunday tickets going on sale on Wednesday.

no day tickets for Friday or Saturday

Do we know what the story is with what beer is being sold at the festival?

I know Whiplash were involved in 2022 - any announcements / inside knowledge on plans for 2023?

• Advertisement

The White Hag brewery from Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

im interested in the sunday to check the place out, i see last year that it wrapped up at midnight according to the timetable, is that the case or do they push it out a bit? cheers

Pretty sure that’s the time limit in the licence from Wicklow county council.

I know there was local complaints about late night noise last year so probably why midnight on a Sunday due to it not being a bank holiday

Cheers, that's a bit of a bummer, is there a bit of craic in the campsites, I see you can camp Sunday night on the Sunday ticket, pretty short day otherwise,

I see you can camp Sunday night on the Sunday ticket, pretty short day otherwise,

Where did you see that?

⚡SUNDAY TICKETS⚡

We are delighted to announce that we will be putting a limited number of SUNDAY TICKETS on sale this Wednesday 31st at 11AM 🔥

We will have all-round icon Grace Jones, our very own Pillow Queens, chillout legends Morcheeba and so many more incredible acts performing on the third and final day of BTP ’23. You don’t want to miss this once in a lifetime lineup and celebrate our second year running in the beautiful Glendalough Estate ✨

Beyond the music we have curated an absolutely unrivalled offering of art, performance, food and experiences for you, so set your alarms for Wednesday and grab your ticket 🤩 

*Sunday tickets include camping Sunday night. Please note, there won’t be day tickets going on sale for Friday or Saturday*

#BTP2023

Thanks. That's interesting, I don't think I've come across that before. Usually a day ticket is just a day ticket? Maybe I'm wrong...

I wonder how they'll work it re people bringing their own alcohol for one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

The thoughts of setting up camp at a festival on the Sunday morning has actually just given me the shivers!!!

Yea, the absolute stress of coming late into a festival into a jammers campsite hawking all your kit and trying to find a patch of grass for your tent!

But the relief of cracking open that first can when its all set up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭endainoz

Did it at a small festival up the country last June, first event since COVID so was quite eager to get somewhere. However it was only a one day event 🤣

Advertisement