Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on ending JSB

• 02-03-2022 10:05pm

I will be 63 later this year and have been on JSB since September last. My last contract was in a vaccination centre, working 13 hour shifts.

Previous to that I worked on contract with the civil service and 2 state agency contracts before that. And before that I worked in finance. I have always worked but its mostly been contracts with breaks in between. All my contracts were full time but as I'm getting older I find full time work exhausting . I suffer from bouts of depression at times due to the loss of one of my children. Mostly I deal with it well but it can be very debilitating when it hits.

I have engaged with my case manager frequently since I've been on JSB , however he told me (and I knew this) that my JSB will run out soon so I will be applying for JSA and I will be eligible for it. He mentioned about going on some kind of apprenticeship scheme, similar to TUS, for a year. He said maybe I will be made permanent after this. The scheme is 30 hours a week. My question is do I have to do this??? What employer is going to offer a 63 year old a permanent job after a year's apprenticeship? At my age I no longer want to upskill, I have huge experience in administration/finance work but full time work is just too much for me.

Can I stay on JSA until I find part time work without being under pressure to do an apprenticeship ? I know the criteria is "to be available for and genuinely seeking full time work" but when you get into your sixties is there any leeway at all? I would love to work part time but there only seems to be full time work in administration in my local area.

Thanks

Advertisement