Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting new car

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,265 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's all good and well getting good money for your existing car but you have replace it with something that will be overpriced too and in most cases won't be available for at least 12 months when it will have gone up in price again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Casati

I think your argument is about three years out of date, and indeed your comments about not been able to give away slightly older EV’s is completely untrue.

With most folk (like the OP) doing small runs, even 4/5 year old e Golf (which is still 20k+ as are 4/5 year old Ioniqs) an EV will suit there needs for most journeys with charging at home 95% of the time, with them having to charge on the network for long journeys a couple of times a year. The network isn’t great but it is improving.

I accept the market is v high for all cars, used and new, but it seems the OP has made up his mind to offload a 16 year old car and has up to 40k to spend. With that budget he can just about get a new Ioniq 5 or ID3 which will not only cover short trips but also return trips of up to 300km winter / 400km summer. The value for money in EV’s now I think is better than buying new petrol/ diesels for most cars - Ie VRT rate increases have made boring stuff like a new Passat a 50k purchase where as the similar size abs spec / but more powerful ID4 is not any more expensive due to VRT rebate and SEAI grants. A decent Golf with similar bhp : performance as an ID3 is generally more expensive, yet the EV chafed at home will have tiny running costs versus petrol or diesel.

The ID4 77kw or Ioniq 5 won’t be obsolete in 4 years either and although waiting lists will reduce demand won’t disappear for used cars, though as with all cars petrol/ diesel you would expect a facelift and some improvements.

New PHEV such as Octavia might make a lot of sense except their pricing has crept up a lot as grants have been cut.

My advice for the record is from somebody who just bought a new diesel VW as I have to make a lot of 600km day trips and the EV’s available are not suitable for my personal use case, but not many people have similar demands and EV’s are a perfect option for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

From what I can see e-Golfs are selling barely on a par price wise with petrol or diesel Golfs. They are a good example IMO because the Golf is historically a good selling car with strong residuals. Surely if they were desirable in EV form, they would command a premium? But no, in the space of 4 years they've lost all desirability and that's in a strong market that is hungry for EV products.

As you say, the Octavia iV is a great example of how bad stuff like that is in value for money terms. If you want a 12 month old 1.4 iV it's €40k, a 12 month old 1.0 is €30k, that's some difference, most people would never recover that additional purchase price in running cost reductions. Sure it's a more powerful setup but it's far from essential, specially at that premium.

The charging network really isn't improving. It's a joke.

The ID.4 will make itself obselite fairly lively. They're barely attractive now, though i do agree pricing people out of a diesel Tiguan does make them look more attractive. They will do 350kms if you run the range to zero and coast to a charger, say 300kms useable range That's crap. Unless you like hanging around in motorway car parks and chatting to like minded individuals about how you stay at 90km/h behind trucks and only turn the heating on when you cant feel your toes.

Why would anybody want that, when undoubtedly in 4 or 5 years time there will be one with double the range which is a far far more attricative proposition.

I'm not saying EV's dont suit some people but they do have a long long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The e-golfs where always a short range ev, no matter what they would lose their top line value once more medium and long range ev's came about (which they have). A long range eg (e-niro or something similar) will keep its value much better. The e-golf however will still have an intrinsic value even in many years to come as they could be used as a local or urban car for very little upkeep cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I agree with this. I'm getting a trade in value I don't feel is deserved on my ICE and gonna buy a new Leaf at 0% finance. If you're going to go new now is the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

This made me smile.

I like EVs and love the acceleration and feeling when electric driving but there is plenty of truth to your post.

You forgot to add that as well as range and charging networks, there is also plenty of shote about non EV drivers and a religious like belief in their ownership.

Yeah, that's fair.

Just IMO pretty much anything you see online from EV owners is absolute circle jerking.

I do follow that Irish EV owners facebook page, it really is brain damaging stuff. I like to follow it though for a good giggle.

Mortified, swanky looking €50k ID.4, nice bit of road presence. Has to travel at 90km/h to get to their destination. That will grow old. He could make the battery last even longer by leaving the car at home and getting the train, probably be quicker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

"He could make the battery last even longer by leaving the car at home and getting the train, probably be quicker too"

and more environmentally friendly, not that it would be a serious concern...

I think a new thread with the mad and entertaining things spouted on EV forums would be great.

It's not beyond the realms of possibilty that the speed limit will be reduced to 90km/h given that megalomaniac dictators use oil money to massacre innocent civilians not to mention unprecedented heatwaves at both poles at the same time.

Theres gonna be pain somewhere. Best that it be in the headline price of a new EV than the tax and fuel cost of an aging ICE

We're really probably going off topic now but sure looking at today for example, 60% of our electricity production was from fossil fuels anyway so the EV was still largely powered non renewable means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭User1998

A plug in hybrid charges itself too. Just not to the extent of driving around without ever using the engine. A plug in hybrid with a dead battery is basically the same as a regular hybrid, just with some additional weight from the added batteries.

Modern plug in hybrids can travel 50km+ on battery power alone so I wouldn’t completely disregard them. Especially if your willing to consider hybrids, EV’s, and ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Thanks for explaining. I did not know that. I’ll include them in my research going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

for that ID.4 driver he asked for tips to get most of battery. It’s true that driving at 90 kph will get more range out of any car either ev or ice. It doesn’t mean that that person needed to do it

the only person talking rubbish on here is you.

I have never had to charge my 77 kw ID.3 in public and even if a bigger battery were available I wouldn’t buy it because it’s not necessary for vast vast majority of journeys. People don’t need to be carrying around heavy batteries for no good reason.

And road tax in the future may be dependent on weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

diesel still makes sense for a lot of people, especially if you are going to hold onto the car long term.

why would people buy a BEV, even the latest ones this year , example 73KW ioniq 5. Range estimations are all over the place. 340km after a full charge some nights. What good is that to someone who does a 2hr drive / 180km each way drive to work each day? Might I add a lot of people do to Dublin. And if it’s not daily, it might be at the weekends to visit family or friends.

the sheer nuisance involved in having to plan your route and where to stop to charge is the reason people will not buy EVs yet and the range depending on so many factors.

They are too expensive , our charging infrastructure is probably up there with the worst in Europe, and mightn’t change anytime soon.

a new enough Euro 6 diesel can easily achieve upwards of 55-60mpg and im talking WLTP figures.

EVs are for parents on the school run , city slickers or people whose car really doesn’t go very far at all within their local radius.

we’ll all buy when the range is a good as a full tank of diesel and doesn’t take forever to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Upto 300km winter/400km summer being the very key sentence there.

not dependable. Could be one range this day and another the next. Not fit for purpose

not much good to you when you’ve been trying to make the next plug in station and because you’ve the AC on the range all of a sudden drops.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

None of these things are news to BEV drivers and they drive or plan accordingly. You don't get wildly different range from one charge to another, it's fairly consistent. It might sound like a 'big deal' to anyone not used to it but I bet you don't' get the exact same mileage out of every tank of diesel either. You get to know your car, it's range, it's performance. Yes if going beyond the range of your car you will have to plan where to stop to charge, that really just involves opening an app and looking at a map for a minute, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭roosterman71

To summarise this thread - EVs are more suitable for some people than others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Your points may have been valid a year ago. Not now though. Anyone doing decent mileage will be better off in an ev with good range (400km+) as the savings on fuel would offset the higher purchase cost against the daylight robbery of a tank of Diesel. EVs are far past the school runs, grocery shop and city slickers as you suggested. Anyone doing a long journey beyond the range of their ev can typically bring their battery back to 80% full in 30 minutes. Shorter range EVs are better suited to people who don't need bug range, or as a second car.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Christ these threads get completely derailed by the discussions on the merits of EVs.

@whydoibother? Having read your posts I would say you're relatively flexible on fuel type. However given you have the ability to charge at home and are looking to buy new, I would recommend you look at a plug-in hybrid. It seems like it would suit your needs.

I'd be leaning towards the Octavia iV however I think they're now retailing for over 40k so you mightn't want to stretch to that. Honestly the MHEV 1.5tsi would probably do you fine, it's not a plug-in or even a regular hybrid but it's fairly economical and is 5 or 6k cheaper.

Pretty much the exact same goes for the Golf, both the plug-in and MHEV are available for roughly the same prices.

If you want to buy used (which given the ridiculous prices of used cars lately I'd be wary of), you can get this nicely specced Skoda Superb iV for 40k.

There would be plenty used BMW 3 and 5 series too around the 30-40k mark but their electric range wouldn't be the best.

The Ford Kuga might also be worth taking a look at. Available as both a regular hybrid and a plug-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 eastindian

Hi All,

Need help from y'all :)

Trying to decide my next car to purchase -

Currently driving a VW Golf 1.4 Petrol 80 bhp 2007 (Mk V). Bought it as a learner car in 2018 with an intention to upgrade after passing test, but it suited me for my usual town driving (currently living in Letterkenny, Donegal) weekend trips away (80-100 kms average) may be once a month and then occasional drive to Dublin maybe once every few months.

I kept it until now as it required minimum maintenance (one service a year).

I am now considering upgrading to something a bit better and newer (161 and after). My stretch budget (for premium badge - Audi, BMW, Merc) is 20k for automatics and 18k for manuals (Not considering hatchbacks only saloons) within 120k Kms. If I cant get a decent premium badge car, my budget is 15k I am considering Toyota or Honda or Mazda (kinda wanting to stay away from Renault and Dacia and Citroen etc.) - seeing some really good deals on Honda Grace Saloon and Toyota Corolla Fielder etc.

Would you advise which way should I go? No kids yet, just me and wife but planning on having kids soon - I have never driven hybrids - infact I have never really owned a car before the VW Golf

Please help - I want a reliable nice car which looks decent ! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Advertisement