Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Journal/Magazine/Newspaper supplement called 'Occasional Papers'

Options
  • 02-03-2022 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to trace a 'Yuletide' 1904 number 'in its familiar green cover' of Occasional Papers - it is mentioned in a Leamington Spa Courier paper 23/12/1904. I think it may be part of 'Church of England. Scripture Readers' Association' the 1845-1854 editions of which are held in the British Library. I have sent the British Library and The Church of England (website) a query re the 1904 volumes. Has anyone come across it anywhere, by any chance?

Thank you

Post edited by tuisginideach on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Try the Representative Church Body Library?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

If all else fails, perhaps a letter to The Church Times might help. It's an Anglican weekly newspaper. They also have a Facebook page I believe. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thank you to you both - I will try those avenues too.

Thanks for your help - BL has traced it for me - my idea of a connection with Scripture Readers Association was completely wrong!

As a result of the BL's reply, I found this in The Spectator August 1904:

Occasional Papers (3 Lansdowne Crescent, Bournemouth, 6d. net) is a  new monthly, of which two issues (July and August) are now before us. They contain some good work. We may mention Miss S. Gertrude Ford's "Art of William Watson," and Mr. D. Davasse's paper on "The Life and Work of 'the late Sir Edwin Arnold." We wish it well, and so counsel the editor to be as despotic as he can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement