Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I only joined last week. If I remember correctly how she explained it is ,for June , the bill arrives in middle of July and payment is debited a little after . That's when you get the June price.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

Anyone tried phoning up Flogas to progress their BWG application?!

I also have a smart meter in the house (even though I'm not on a smart plan), so I presume I'll have to also be put on this smart plan that doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

I would be open enough for that scenario when my current contract ends in October with BG, worst case scenario you get a bigger bill for one month. Hopefully not to big! If you keep an eye on market trends you should be able to see any big rate rises coming up and jump ship.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Suzuki_Dale

I got the same call today, and I actually ended up staying with Energia

1. Flogas is a fixed-rate contract, and if the price goes down, I'm locked in. If energy prices drop a little, mine will drop too, as the discount is off the standard rate.
    2. They hinted that prices are expected to go down.
    3. €50 signing credit, when I mentioned the €13 price difference ( Flogas prices v Energia 20% base on my current usage)
    4. They back-dated my discount to the end of my last contract 6 weeks ago.

Felt like a good deal, and I like how Energia operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

I would expect prices to start increasing from late August/September as European countries start to rebuy gas to store. When the winter months hit, the price should rise significantly. The BWG deal is right for me but if you can stomach the uncertainty of WaterPower, you could well save a lot of money. Worst case is you leave if you get a massive bill one month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

so you were out of contract? what rates are you now on then? I'd also be content to stay with Energia but the availability of a D\N tariff is a deal breaker for me.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

4 years ago we moved in to find both a pre paid gas and electricity meter. The gas had to be changed to a regular meter and cost €200. The electrcity itself was "converted" to a readable meter, but not physically changed, just enabled it to be readable. It was a faff alright dealing with both the old supplier and ESBN. I needed proof of purchase from my Solicitor because I wasn't the bill holder. All whilst feeding a pricey pre pay meter with no plan on full rates.

I'm now in a queue for a smart meter as ESBN don't consider my pre pay meter old enough to qualify for an upgrade. Requested smart meter Nov 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I don't Understand how your price can come down if you've got a fixed rate contract, or is it a percentage discount

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bensimp

hi guys

I have had a read through the psots so I don't think I overlooked the answer. I am trying to sign up to BWG / Flogas online and keeps asking for promotional code? any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bensimp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

I'm just trying to get my head round smart meters based on the last few pages of comments here.

So with a smart meter you can avail of either the classic "24 hour charges" or "night saver meter"?

Everyone is complaining about getting moved to a "night saver" charges. I assume if you do alot of intensive activity in the night (washing/dish washer/dryer etc), there is a saving to be had? I do see that with the BWG deal, the day time "24 hour" charge is lower than the day time "night saver" charge.

Is the BWG deal missing from bonkers.ie ?

Apologies for the questions as I have recently returned to Ireland and am out of the loop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

With smart meter, currently you get 24hr plan non smart plan or Smart plan (usually 3 time period with different rates depending on the time).

The smart plan is like night saver but it is NOT night saver.

Night saver require a Day and Night meter and should only have 2 time period.

BWG deal won't be on bonker.ie, it was an exclusive deal supposedly for BWG Food Group employees but anyone can sign up if they know how to find the links

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It's a "Smart Plan" that folks are trying to avoid. They have a peak rate between 5 and 7pm that is more expensive than day rate and the smart night rate is way more expensive than the traditional night rate.

Apparently if you go on a "Smart" tariff you can never go back to other normal or D/N plans (referred to as your smart meter being activated) so your future options are limited to price plans that are a rip off at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Oh I forgot to add a massive fckin thank you to whoever found and posted this deal.

42c electricity down to 29.99c

13.50c gas down to 9.80c

Standing charge is higher but we'll make that back on gas in jig time as all our hot water is gas (don't have an immersion).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Whats the rate after the discount?

In the same boat with Energia, actually been with them for 3 yrs (but renewing the discount/plan every year)

Weighing up options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If you're trying to compare providers, switcher is a better site than bonkers if you know your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

Ok so the Fixed Smart Rates I got back from FloGas were Day 33.74, Peak 38.15, Night 23.11 & SC €302.92. Still better than my current EI rates but higher than the Standard Rates I'd hoped to get from them like everyone else.

I'm wondering is it better to just fire on with them on the above or take a chance with Waterpower for a while? The rates they've sent me on seem to be dropping the last few months. May 23 was Day .2804, Night .1782, 24Hour .2277, SC 80 cent per day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

fyi, ESBN have an early adopter process for the new Day\Night Smart Meters - RM107 registers only Day and Night usage but also records export for those with microgen. they're planning to start installing them in September.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I got the same rates and went with Flogas. Will set the heat pump to work overnight and try to remember not to put on washes etc between 5 and 7 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ill become an early adopter next April 😂 Shure the summer is already over.

Ha yeah, doesnt make sense for anyone with a D/N and solar to change from Sept until next year. Ill be not available for as long as i can :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just interested, why?

Is there a benefit to the old meters with solar compared to the new smart meters?

There is a formula they use at the moment for those of us not on Smart Meters. You dont export anything really in the months of Nov, Dec and Jan, but the Deemed export formula still applies so you get some export rebate even if you havent exported.

Deemed Export Quantity is an estimation, based on a formula, of exported electricity in kWh: it will be used as a proxy for metered export data, where metered export data is not available.

The formula to calculate Deemed export quantity = MEC x Capacity Factor x Export Factor x Provision Interval.

Where:  

MEC is a capacity value in units of kW, representing the generation capacity of the installed generation equipment, as declared via ESBN’s NC6 (or equivalent) form

• Capacity Factor is the ratio of average electricity produced to the theoretical maximum possible if the installed capacity was generating at a maximum for a full year. CRU have proposed this value is set at 9.7% for all technology types. It is the average capacity factor of photovoltaic panels

• Export Factor is the amount of electricity (expressed as a percentage of electricity produced) deemed to be exported, where the metered data is not available. CRU have set this value at 35%

Provision Interval is the number of hours in the period for which cumulative export quantities are to be calculated and to be made available to suppliers by ESBN

Example of a deemed calculation: 

Sample calculation for Deemed Export Quantity 

Example 1: Residential customer with an MEC of 1.8 and where the "Provision Interval" is 12 months (= 8760 hours) 

Parameter 

Value 

Comment 

MEC (kW) 

As recorded by ESBN 

Capacity Factor 

9.7% as decided by CRU 

Export Factor 

35% as decided by CRU 

Provision interval 

12-month interval 

• Deemed Export Quantity = MEC x Capacity Factor x Export Factor x Provision Interval 
    • Deemed Export Quantity = 535.30kWh (=1.8 X 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

As far as I can gather if you have solar with a standard meter you get credit based on the amount of panels you have whereas with a smart meter you only get credit for what you actually send back to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Can anyone poijnt me in the direction of this deal please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

just a point for people to check, I swithed about a month ago and just got the first bill and the electricity was the wrong rate (might have been Electricity Ireland delaying the switch fault), the gas switched fast a few days and was correct rate, but the electricity switch was about a month.

gave them a call and they said they would correct it and back data it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

I got solar installed in February 22 and took a meter reading on the day, it was 24195. I take a reading monthly and write it down, today my reading is 23625 and that's because my old 1964 meter goes in reverse when I'm generating excess power. I always submit a reading 1 or 2 units above my last reading. I have my meter inside the house and the meter reader can't access it.

In the depths of winter my meter catches back up and if the reader calls I let them take a reading. It is worth way more to me and I have told the contractors that ESBN have replacing them in my county and they were are ok putting me at the back of their list so I don't refuse a new smart meter which means I forfeit any FIT payments in the future.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Cheaper with zero stability and undoubtedly significantly dearer in the winter months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There in lies the issue given there is zero effort been made by other suppliers to entice new customers at the moment. Existing suppliers are offering poor renewal deals to anyone whose contract is expiring. I don't expect prices to be any lower in the winter months.

Advertisement