Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You didn't agree to access your smart meter data in January did you? What's your meter type on your latest bill? It wouldn't surprise me if, along with changing your meter status they tied you to a new contract as well🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I did access my smartmeter usage alright, but only via the ESBN site, not via EI and that was around middle of last year if memory serves. Interesting though that its a stroke they might pull. On the EI site, I never viewed my meter insights/usage as it always tied in to changing my tariff to a smart meter plan, which I don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Did you sign up to Flogas community plan?

What are the rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finally got my first Flogas bill and confirmed on the BWG rates, cheers OP should save at least €700.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Flogas community plan which is 30 cents per unit (rounded up figure) is obviously still generating a profit for the company. It makes you wonder about the profits the other suppliers are making when they charge 40 cents plus per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

First, I don't give blanket advice. I don't know everybody's circumstances, and there's no one-size-fits-all advice.

But since you're asking, I can certainly tell you again what I'm doing. I said it already when Waterpower and Flogas were first discussed some time ago.

I'm currently on the OBS deal with BGE, until October. The day/night rates are good, close to Community (slightly higher, for now at least). What I'm doing is staying with them until my contract is up.

Some people on that deal felt the need to move to Flogas before the end of their contract to secure these rates for a longer period, particularly over Winter. I didn't, because I think they're only good, not extraordinary, and it won't be hard to find similar rates in October, without having to sign for fixed rates, which I think is not a great idea when we know that consumer prices are due to come down significantly over the next 12 months. The fixed rates are what put me off this deal, really.

I also said that if I wasn't on that OBS deal at the moment, or if I don't find another interesting deal in October with a run-of-the-mill supplier, the Waterpower tracker offer would be my choice. Probably not forever, but in a period where wholesale prices have come down, and may keep coming down further, this offer that doesn't charge yesterday's hedging rates makes a lot of sense. So maybe I'd be waiting as you're saying, but certainly not paying >40c and wasting 100s as you pretend to believe is the only alternative, paying half that, as you perfectly know is available. And actually paying (slightly) less than with Flogas, and with no exit fee.

It may not suit you personally, as I said I am in no way saying it's my advice to anybody or everybody, it's simply what I'm thinking for my very own circumstances.

I'm sharing it and my rationale in a discussion, and I hope people seeking advice and reading different rationales in this thread can find something they'd be comfortable with themselves.

Now, even if you're doing something else, you don't need to misrepresent what I'm doing or saying, to then portray it as ridiculous.

Just because you don't like the Waterpower tracker offer - and there are valid reasons you may not - doesn't mean you should pretend it doesn't exist, just to hammer the point that Community is the best offer for everyone. That's not helpful for the sake of this forum.

Bottom line : to get these rates today, you have to choose between fixed rates for 12 months (Community), or a rate that tracks the ups and downs of the wholesale market (WP Tracker). But you also need to consider the possibility that in the next few months, there may be other offers at these rates, nor fixed nor wholesale-dependent, that may suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

I did.

I had received the dreaded "you are on a smart tariff" email from Flogas.

There was no inquisition about whether I worked for BWG or not, just got straight down to the negotiations around price / cooling off periods etc.

Unfortunately you must ring them during business hours, there is quite a hold time and I was working so I didn't get to note the actual smart rate but it was very much in the ballpark of good value, from my research so I took it and left.

Make sure you syncronise your gas and electricity plans, you don't want to get stuck in twelve months, waiting for a contract to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Not sure if they do it for smart plans will have to ring them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I wouldn't be sure about rates coming down for winter. The regulator has already allowed GNI to increase prices which will in turn be passed on by suppliers - https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/higher-gas-bills-on-the-way-as-26bn-revenue-limit-to-fund-network-approved/a1732706292.html and there's a good chance prices will rise in winter anyway. Which is just the excuse ESB/Electric Ireland/Bord Gais need to say our costs are rising so we can't reduce prices now. Actually I'm fairly confident this is the exactly what EI will say come October. They know the government will do nothing to force their hand and will pay another credit to to households to subsidise their profits.

Grand old country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

there is a community deal for smart plans and the rural rate was posted here a few days ago but not the urban

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

that is not the prices, it is a screenshot of the pricing

post #3269 for smart plan info and linky

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Well, their standard rates are around 40c. There are players out there, Flogas and Waterpower, who price at 30c, and that can't be dismissed as promotional offers, because in the case of WP at least it's a standard rate.

There'll be also a new player coming, Yuno.

I'm not thinking in terms of political pressure or excuses the suppliers may have for the media. I'm only thinking in terms of competition, and of actual costs coming down for the suppliers. They're the two forces that will bring price cuts.

If WP can offer 30c today, and they're a small player, so not particularly efficient in terms of economies of scale, the bigger players can offer less than that, once they're out of their past hedging. If you add to that price differentiation between switchers and non-switchers like they used to do, that may bring the discounted rates for switchers in the low 20s. They're the rates we're discussing here I'd say, while the media and politicians focus on standard rates for the non-switchers, where the cuts are likely to be more modest.

That's a reasoning based on today's wholesale prices, not on hopes of further price drops.

Now, how long exactly will that take is anyone's guess. But Yuno said they want to enter the market before Christmas, and every day that's passing is also putting all suppliers in a better position in relation to their costs. We're already seeing better discounts being offered than a couple of months ago. That's effectively a first price cut.

nice one, you happen to have the link to the actual offer page with the urban & rural rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi

Signed up online this morning for the Electricity plan .30c / unit through the Flogas Community link given here. Just wondering how long does it take to get confirmation of the rate ?

I got an email stating that I will get a Welcome Pack within two weeks but if for some reason they don't honour this rate I want to cancel the switch during the cooling off period as I am in contract with another supplier and no doubt will be charged the exit fee

There’s a post shortly after that with a screen shot of the rural rates but not the urban which is what I’m after 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Take a screen shot of the rates in case like others they charge the wrong rate and ring them if they do. Others got the rate changed when the wrong one was charged. Going by previous posters it can take a few weeks to get confirmation but you have the acceptance email and that's what counts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks

yes I have screen pic of the rate so just

wait and see 😁

• Advertisement

why not just email Flogas and ask them to confirm that they are the rates in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I didn't get the welcome email within the 14 days but I was switched after a fews days of signing up. I phoned to get the info.

Just an FYI. If flogas have switched you with the incorrect rate you can't magically hop back on your old contract. As far as I know that will be broken once flogas switch you. However people here can confirm that if they are on the wrong rate flogas have switched them over to the correct rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

For those who have already got a bill from flogas electricity, what date did you sign up?

Are the bill bimonthly?

Post edited by DarkBlonde on

• Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I signed up a couple of weeks ago and got the email followed by the welcome letter about 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Has anyone a URL to this exact plan, not the sign up page? This looks to be the Smart meter community plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Just Google it... Answers a lot of the Q's being posted here in recent times...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

It's the first result that comes up when I google 'Flogas community plan'... And the results link works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Thats not the smart meter plan, which is what we are discussing.

Advertisement