Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

What is he flogas standing charge do you know? Can only see unit price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

For gas it's the same as standard plan I believe - €239.98

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Comparing us to the EU average makes no sense. We are a small island with unique requirements and connect to the UK only. Of course we're more expensive. Been covered to death on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

What requirements do we have that are so unique?

Our failure to upgrade the transmission network significantly over the last decade to allow the ramping up of renewables perhaps?

Good auld rip-off Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

Rang Bor Gais about new offers (like some on here have mentioned) told new BG offers updated in the last 24hrs, but couldn't see them or avail of them as i had already submitted a move to flogas. So 30-44% discounts are possible with BG anyway. Staying with Flogas, see what happens within the cooling off period anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Our requirements don't and should not equate to paying more than double digit percentage points that mainland Europe. We are getting fleeced. It's that simple.

Well considering we have different voltage and frequency standards to the rest of Europe, I'd say there are different requirements. Mainland Europe is one massive grid where energy can be imported and exported cheaply between countries. Nuclear in France can be sold to Spain when the sun isn't shinning. We don't have the luxury. We only have the UK. So yeah, I'd say we're unique.

We have failed to invest, does that make the current prices rip off? No it means we don't have the infrastructure, its nothing to do with rip off Ireland. 10 years ago we we're coming out of austerity, theres a pretty good reason we have not piled money into renewables. It's very easy to say in hindsight we should have. Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone else banked on cheap Russian gas, just like us.

We are a small island with a very small grid. Renewables are fairly new in the scheme of electricity generation. We couldn't have built a nuclear plant due to our size. We're always going to be expensive for electricity. The gas crisis exacerbates that. The implication of rip-off Ireland is that energy companies are making bank out of pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Getting 38% gas and 6% elec discount on BG like others. Might be time to split away from duel fuel if I can get gas on its own from them with that discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The more we invest in renewables the more we seem to be paying for electricity. That's expensive wind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RoyalTribesman

What are the rates for the BWG electricity only offer? I haven't been able to find them (I have a nightsaver meter)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rang BG this morning, as my move to Flogas has commenced they weren’t in a position to offer me a deal to stay, told me I’d have to way 20 days before they could offer me a deal. I asked them about these 44% and 38% discounts currently being offered, he told me as I was only a gas customer it’s was highly unlikely that’s I’d have been offered the the 44% discount. I pushed him on what discount I would have been offered but he maintained as o had left them, the system just wouldn’t allow him check.

if BG are genuinely now offering discounts like that, then they will be the best value supplier for existing customers, at 38% even, that’s a rate of 9.05c a unit and possibly a lower standing charge compared to Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Skyte

I tried signing up with that electric only offer and they directed I cant use it as im on a smart tariff and to select a smart tariff. So, is there a smart tariff link available?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rang BG this morning, as my move to Flogas has commenced they weren’t in a position to offer me a deal to stay, told me I’d have to way 20 days before they could offer me a deal. I asked them about these 44% and 38% discounts currently being offered, he told me as I was only a gas customer it’s was highly unlikely that’s I’d have been offered the the 44% discount. I pushed him on what discount I would have been offered but he maintained as o had left them, the system just wouldn’t allow him check.

if BG are genuinely now offering discounts like that, then they will be the best value supplier for existing customers, at 38% even, that’s a rate of 9.05c a unit and possibly a lower standing charge compared to Flogas.

There is no smart tariff link at the moment. Aquos76 signed up on the normal link and it appeared to work but they have changed something internally to not allow that. There is no smart tariff deal atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will they give you the 38% discount for gas if you are not taking up the dual fuel offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RoyalTribesman

Thanks for that! Do you happen to know the standing charge as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

BWG Staff Offer

Anyone know the 24hr standard rate for this offer, standard meter.

thanks

• Advertisement

29.99 inclusive of VAT. Fixed rate for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

My Bord gais dual fuel contract is up today and they offered me 45% off gas and 5% off electricity (rates Below). They could'nt offer more than 8% off electricity so it still makes sense for me to move to flogas based on my usage so signed up using the BWG link today. Wouldn't offer 45% off gas only either.

Gas

Unit rates: 14.61 8.03 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge: €169.40

Electricity

24 hour rate: 48.19 45.78 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge: €281.12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Good morning folks

Am currently with Bord Gais Energy (electricity only, don't have gas) having got the One Big Switch 33% off offer from this thread last year. Contract is up in mid October.

Apologies if this has been asked already (it's a big thread and I don't see any mention of it in the OP), does it matter if one has a smart meter and smart plan or not to avail of the Flogas BWG staff offer? Got a smart meter installed last year but don't have a smart plan (no intention of getting one at the moment either).

You can switch to FloGas BWG if you have a non-activated smart meter. Which by the sounds of it, you have.

Whats to stop you waiting a month and switching your electricity to FloGas? What would happen to your gas discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

So my Electricity discount expires with Energia today, Interested in moving to the Flogas Day/night rate as have an EV.

Current meter is smart but unactivated so I think this is okay .

But does anybody know what rates will Flogas charge between the time you switch and the new Day/Night meter is installed , would it be the 33C day rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Thanks Bren.

Got the house rewired last year so ESB networks automatically installed a smart meter. Was with Energia at the time and spoke to one of their agents about potential plans with the smart meter. None of them were of any value to me so decided against it and just stayed on the fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We're on Energia Standard (Urban) and off contract now.

Paying ~ €2100 inc VAT annually, averaging 7.5kw/day at the moment as far as I can see.

Best deals available on bonkers are YUNO, everything else is more expensive. Some chat about YUNO earlier in this thread talking about them being not the real deal - can anyone clarify?

Are we as well to hold off moving for now and continue paying the non-discounted rates on Energia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Is it possible to update the first page with the BWG electricity rates and annual standing charge for smart meters please? Thanks

Advertisement