Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

You will hear from them tomorrow, you can call them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Skyte

Is anyone actually on waterpower as a provider? I keep seeing people mention them but always just considering them, id like to know how they are from someone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I wonder will Flogas process pending applications that were submitted prior to the removal of BWG offer from their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@wassie - or anyone else. What way do the waterpower rates work? Do they announce new rates on say 31/08/2023 that are then valid for the whole month of September?

Im prerry sure they will. Its business for them after all.

• Advertisement

You're very optimistic. My recent experience with them is the opposite. I applied for gas only to go with Flogas via bonkers.ie. Within minutes of signing up, I realised I used the wrong link and I should have used the community link (not via bonkers.ie) which had a slightly better rate, so I sent Flogas an email. There was a going back and forth for several weeks with them, each time it took Flogas a good 3-4 days before they replied. And they denied me the community access. I then cancelled and still haven't had confirmation of that either

Maybe other people have better experiences, but for me the Flogas customer service was shockingly bad. I appreciate they are busy, but taking 4 days to write a one minute email reply is simply not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

So my Bord Gais plan is ending next month and the new plan they're offering me is rubbish. Yuno Energy are coming in as the best deal on Bonkers both on unit price and standing charge. Has anyone here had any dealings with them? They're not one of the household names but best price as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Waterpower VTM rates are backdated. Bill issued mid-month for previous month.

This is an email i received from them, i had considered joining up but went with flogas dwg offer in the end.

Thank you for contacting us here at Waterpower regarding your electricity supply.

Firstly, just to give you a little background information on us - Waterpower has been involved in the energy business for many years across three sectors of business – energy supply, energy generation, and consultancy. Waterpower was founded by Dan Twomey in 2002 following his work on hydroelectricity stations across the country. In 2003 the business focus changed after he secured a license from the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) to trade excess energy. This meant that Waterpower could supply electricity to domestic and commercial customers and purchase electricity from other small renewable electricity generators. We are now 21 years in business and at the forefront of renewable energy solutions.  (Please refer to our website for any additional information www.waterpower.ie).

The best that we can do is to offer you our variable Tracker Model – here the unit price is made up of:  Raw Cost of Energy + Pass Through Charges + Management Fee.  The unit price is tracked monthly and can rise as well as fall.  I regret that we cannot offer fixed rates at present – below is a sample of our average time of use (TOU) DG1 and DG2 day/night and 24-hour rates (ex. VAT at 9%) as charged out by us month on month for 2022 plus Jan to July 2023 with an average price over this period. There is no fixed contract nor early exit fee.  The Public Service Obligation Levy (PSO) was abolished on October last.  Please take some time to study and please revert if you wish to discuss any aspect further.

To sign up

They require copies of your three previous bills andcopy of your id, rental properties will need to pay a deposit.

Can you be a bit more specific please? When do you know what rate is / was applied for a certain month?

• Advertisement

Community Power also has no exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

when you use bonkers you need to select no to the option that says - Only show tariffs available for sign up?

providers are not using bonkers as a sign up option now but it is a good reference for prices

The internet isn’t for everyone

You get an e-bill every month that shows the rates charged for the previous month.

So you get an e-bill say on 30/09/2023 over the whole month of September and not until then do you know what the rates were for that month?

Bill issued middle of month ~15 Aug for July. WP say they will email customers start of month if a significant hike is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve just contacted water power. Out of contract sunday so will see what they say.

This is the response you'll get https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121020191/#Comment_121020191

I would suggest people switch to Waterpower, they are a small Irish company, and the more customers they get, hopefully the more competitive other suppliers will have to be and maybe tracker rates will become more mainstream in future

So to be totally clear, you won't know the rate you will have to pay on the first of the month until about 45 days later?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

Im not with Waterpower so no help unfortunately (considering them at end of next month if prices dont drop).

I like the idea of the company. Its founder, Dan Twomey, powered his own home in Cork with hydro back in the 80s and he founded waterpower over 20 years ago. Truly a visionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I like the idea behind Waterpower's rates too. The bottom line is that it's a very fair system. Sure, the rates might go up, but you can be certain the other players would also then be increasing their rates too (apart from Flogas fixed offers). I would be fairly confident that the other players, the 'big boys', will always end up profiting more from their customers than Waterpower at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

Does waterpower has smart meter rates for activated smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

I've been offered 5% off electricity and 45% off gas with Bord Gais. Rang them to see if they could do any better on electricity (they couldn't) or what they'd offer if I went gas only (the girl said she'd only see the offer when the electricity is disconnected!). Given my usage over the past 12 months, those rates will only cost €250 more than the Flogas BWG rates and, given that there's talk of rate reductions, I'm tempted to take them.

You could call and ask (029) 50568

Post the answer for the benefit of others reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

I have recently switched to a smart meter and feel I have been penalised for doing so. The provider I was with activated the meter without my consent. For these two reasons Ive made a complaint to the energy regulator, they should be looking into why smart rates are so uncompetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

They will process any applications made prior to the link expiring. They have done so every time.

My personal experience with FloGas customer care is quite good. Took them 2 days to respond each time but answered the question each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Response from Flogas below. Why are smart meters treated differently? Silly me thought a smart meter was something in your house that showed consumption!

I have received your application. Unfortunately, I have had to cancel your application as you applied for a fixed rate tariff. Your meter is a smart meter and will only take a smart tariff.

Please select a smart tariff or alternatively contact our sales team on 041 2149555 with your MPRN and they can sort a smart tariff for you. To avail of the BWG offer, you will need to contact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 3Win

Waterpower not accepting new connections.

As from August 22nd 2023, we regret that we are unable to switch any new customers to our electricity supply here at Waterpower, due to the sheer volume of enquiries. Please check back with us around September 15th and we will have an update for your then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

Once you're on a smart tariff, you cannot go back to a normal tariff. Well covered in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Once you have an activated smart meter then you need to go on the higher smart rate tariffs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement