Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

The literally rang me 20mins before this dropped trying to get me to stay with them.

winter is going to be very long and expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FFS , so now I need to cancel the electric ireland switch after cancelling the airtricity switch?

Anybody any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Will it really matter? They will all keep going up. Pick the one with the best percentage off maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

We will all be hoping Santa brings coal this year

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

IIRC BG had an increase in August. Sorry I can't remember the exact date. Not sure that changes matters much with so much crazy price increases coming from every provider whenever they feel they can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

That's EI's third increase in so many months.

How many have the rest of them gone up twice? since it all began? Pretty sure is was EI to begin with.

So the rest will follow suit for a 3rd increase over the next few weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This is it. BG show up best for me on Bonkers but don't think they have increased prices since April. Given plenty of other companies have done 2 since then their next (imminent I assume) price rise will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

I didn't sign up with Energia, I am currently mid-move to EI. I'm not going to switch to Energia as every supplier I switch to ups their prices a few days after I switch (you can all thank me later ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you still have 10 days or whatever cooling off period is left then use it to wait and see what increases come next week and by how much. Im in the same boat but need to make a move soon as my cooling off period finishes on Monday. When I do I intend to give the new company the meter reading from when my Energia contract finished on August 18th. Im not sure if that will work but going to try it, other wise will have to pay Energia at full price units for the last 2 weeks.

The running tally on price increases for electricity is now

Panda Power (July) 10.9%

Airtricity 35%

Prepay Power 19%

Electric Ireland 10.9% (effective Aug 1st), 27.6% (effective Oct 1st)

Pinergy 18.2%

That leaves Energia and Bord Gais as the only ones yet to make their move going by the chart @zell12 posted. When they do at least you will have the entire market picture but we're getting fcuked over regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alltakennames93

Hi, can I just ask a Q as I am very bad at all these different deals etc. So I moved from SSE to Electric Ireland after SSE increased the other week and now EI have also increased!! Just my luck. So I signed up to the 30% off deal and said my unit would be 21.91c so now with the increase of 26.7% is that basically my discount voided?? So like your unit cost will now increase?

Thanks for any info!

• Advertisement

Ah sorry thank you for that! Wow so gone from 22c up tp 43c that's just great to find out the week you loose your job 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Your discount will still apply to the new rate.

Oh ok well that is good news! Thats what I was unsure about

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Are we getting any credit off the government for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somewhere between 200-500 after VAT, probably. Nobody can say for certain until the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

43c a kWh ? That can't be right, its nearly a 100% increase no? Is it not 28c a kWh with the increase a circa 28% .

Most likely wrong, but my head is spinning with the constant increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I do have an EV charger but they didn't ask me for any kind of proof. They may have other ways of knowing (via the MPRN, for example). It is definitely fixed-rate for the length of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Electric Ireland standard unit prices (incl VAT) from 1 Oct will be:

Day/Night Meter:

Day 46.23c (33.44c), 43.68c (31.6c) with 5.5% discount

Night 22.80c (16.5c), 21.55c (15.6c) with 5.5% discount

24 hr meter:

43.27c (31.30c), 40.89c (29.58c) with 5.5% discount

Pre 1 Oct prices in ().

People on their 26% or 30% discount plans continue on those discounts but at the new unit rates.

Anyone switching to EI will get a €150 welcome bonus.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

That’s pretty much a doubling of price. Means my last bill would have been close to 400€

• Advertisement

just heard on the radio there that reducing the VAT from 9%to 5% might be another option. I think we can expect a 200 credit at a minimum when the budget is announced and then maybe another 200 in January when prices are expected to go up yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Government need to start urgently copping on and start increasing on wind and solar energy here, not granting ways for these gouging prick companies to still get every cent

I've amended my post to show the pre 1st Oct prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That won't do a thing until the EU standard rules on energy pricing go away. The dearest element drives the price and that's gas currently. And will be until the war ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Prices will be circa 40-45c per unit for all the suppliers. Business will be paying circa 60c.

Its how electricity is priced on international markets. Its based on natural gas pricing as up to last year it was the cheapest way to produce electricty and worked very well keeping prices down.

Unfortunately gas prices have soared and the "next day" market for electricity is crazy - this is what the energy seller pay for anything over what they have pre-booked/hedged. Currently next day is about 80c a unit.

The UK is really suffering as they are based on a 3 month hedging whereas other markets are based on 12-24 months hedging.

that why prices here are not a UK levels. And many European countries are higher than even the new levels here - czech republic, Denmark Germany, portugal and others are substantially higher

Thanks for confirming it is fixed rate, it might be the best deal out there considering they are likely to raise prices very soon and then maybe again in January. I had wondered if they can tell if you have an EV charger via the MRPN, think I'll chance my arm tomorrow and see if I can get the plan as right now a fixed rate for 12 months is a good deal given whats to come

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I need to shop around. I'm out of contract with EI at the minute. I'm llpaying bills for two homes at the moment (thanks divorce!), So I'm really feeling the increase in costa.

One house is EI dual fuel, out of contract and the other, is EI and BG (for gas) out of contract.

Who offers the best switching bonus and am I better off going dual fuel or stay separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Any idea what the early exit cost is for Electric Ireland? have a month left on current contract with them

I think the EV Energia rate being fixed would give peace of mind for 12 months anyway

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

€50 plus any welcome bonus received on joining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Same as AntoDeco, out of contract with EI Dual Fuel, just a few days so meaning to renew, BG looking like cheapest option for me at the moment. Has anyone got a renew deal with EI even with increases, as I know moving to BG is going to come with an increase in the coming weeks/days, just I do not know what that will be yet.

Dunno how practical it is but can the regulator not make some type of window every 3/4 months that they all put in applications if they need to up the prices, at least that way its all done at once and you can see the best price.

Advertisement