Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's always one.

enjoy your thread as I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

The handful of nitpickers here constantly dragging the thread off course just puts you off trying to give advice to anyone. I'm fairly sure Walter is one of them with a different account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

It's just not worth the effort with some on here.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks for putting this together.

I notice when I put in a % discount for BGE it is giving me a rate that is higher than my actual rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

I was just pointing out that the EABs given were incorrect because based on outdated prices.

It's not a personal criticism, everyone here are just giving their time and that's appreciated.

Still, this post was misleading, even with the best intentions, and I believe it's worth correcting it.

Sorry if people's feelings are hurt by this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Taoiseach says more price reductions coming

the price reductions of between 10-20% that had already been adopted were not enough, and he would be putting pressure on energy company representatives in a meeting this afternoon. This will include pressure to introduce hardship funds for vulnerable customers. https://www.thejournal.ie/energy-prices-windfall-tax-6166889-Sep2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Bonkers never includes SSE bonuses in their calculation as they have to be claimed and are not automatically applied to the account. I know it's just a click on the webpage, but some people will forget claiming money back after few months.

Other companies like Flogas and Iberdrola applied cashbacks automatically and were included in Bonkers calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I'm on the Dual Fuel plan so eleecy unit is 29.99 Inc vat....

I guess like anything, if I could predict the future, I probably wouldn't posting here about my energy bills....!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BottomBurp

Trying to contact SSE for the last week now as I am out of contract. Their phone system sucks. When you get through to renewals, you always get told that there's a queue - press 1 for a callback and 3 to stay holding. The callback never arrives, and if you opt to stay on hold, you are immediately given the same message, so you have to keep hitting 3 just to remain on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I rang 0818818110 yesterday. The person put me through to the sales/retention team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

The renewals team number is 0818 81 82 24 if you haven't tried that.

Maybe try live chat?

I got through to them on the phone last week as I'm also out of contract. They didn't offer anything other than the 10% that's online. No harm in trying - you may get someone else.

Thanks for that - I was never so happy to be on hold! 15 minutes and counting. Live chat seemed to want to push me onto phone team.

If I ever get off hold, and get anything interesting, I'll post here.

Got the standard 10% offer ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's unbelievable what's going on, those feckers are hanging back to see if there's a handout next month. Leo acting all hard doesn't wash with those boyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is the number SSE callled me from when trying to retain me. I missed the call but when I called the number back it put me straight through to someone without even asking me to select options! Might be worth trying this if you ever need to call them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

With regards to the standard charge is there any one place to find the different rates charged or is it a case of going to each website.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I decided to stick with Energia despite being out of contract. Got this notice 30 minutes ago. I'll continue to stick with them until I see a better offer.

We are happy to announce that from 3 October 2023, our energy prices will go down by 20% for smart electricity, smart dual fuel and gas plans. Standard electricity plans will go down by 15%. This is part of our ongoing commitment to provide the best value and service for our customers. You do not need to do anything. If you would like to learn more about these upcoming price changes, please go to: energia.ie/price

How will this affect you?
    Smart electricity customers		
    For Energia smart electricity tariff customers, you will see a 20% reduction in your unit rates. This is an estimated average saving of €357 per year. *

Smart dual fuel customers		
    For Energia smart dual fuel tariff customers, you will see a 20% reduction in your unit rates. This is an estimated average saving of €682 per year. *

Electricity customers		
    For Energia electricity customers, you will see a 15% reduction in your unit rates. This is an estimated average saving of €305 per year. *

Gas customers		
    For Energia gas customers, you will see a 20% reduction in your unit rates. This is an estimated average saving of €325 per year. *

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

Got the same. So you're staying out of contract for another while? I think they give another 10% off by going into a new contract but probably not worth it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

for day/night meters:

Energia offering me 15% off, to renew, this is in addition to the general 15% price reduction for a d/n urban meter from October 3rd, bringing the day / night rates to 38.35 / 18.40 inc vat @ 9 % from October 3rd. Annual s/c is €294.

SSE Airtricity offering 34.68 / 21.52 inc vat @ 9 % from November 1st (includes their 20 % online signup reduction). Annual s/c is €284.

EI, Flogas & Bord Gais all have higher unit rates than the above, 40/20 + unit rates, even after recent future reductions, with Flogas & EI are both have €100+ higher, annual standing charges for a d/n urban meter.

Slim pickings, but SSE currently just about shading the lead ! But will pause a bit longer before jumping for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Here's my renewal offer from Bord Gais... contract ending this month.

Cheaper than the current rates that I'm on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

What rate discount were you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I’ve been offered the same. Was on 33% discount through one big switch and they’re adding a 5% loyalty bonus. Only issue is I’m on D/N and the link sends me through to 24hr. I’ll need to call them to make sure I can still get D/N.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Bonkers.ie has most of them and is reasonably accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I guess it's just me they don't want to keep! :/ We use less than the national average.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Are you dual fuel as well? That seems to be who gets the 5% increase.

I'm D/N as well, elec only, and I also had 24hrs rates quoted online. I could confirm the correct rates with the web chat folks. Wasted 45 minutes with them just to get that confirmed and confirm my renewal, though. So, they just messed up the messaging and show 24hrs rates to everyone, but it's fine, the offer is your % discount on the standard D/N rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Thats quite good, i’d be taking that, if it was me, but its is not available to me, as i am not an existing customer

Bord Gas have sub €300 annual standing charges also, EI, and Flogas are circa €100 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah I already signed up. I was on 33% OBS deal. Used the live chat last week as I was wondering what the D/N rates were. Took a screenshot of the chat and then went to the website and renewed for next year. 2EV household so not really bothered about the FIT rate, but paying less than current contract was a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Energia released a useful breakdown of their upcoming price changes today. Has anyone seen anything similar from Electric Ireland/Flogas/Bord Gais/Airtricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

SSE mention the 12% reduction in November for their standard smart rates but would it be fair to assume that their more TOU plans like smart weekends and smart night boost would get the same reduction? Bonkers factors in the upcoming reduction for the basic smart plan but they don't seem to list these plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Currently with BG (electric only) on 40% discount and contract up on 20/09. Contacted me last month offering 15% to renew. Told them I'd sit tight and see what else was available.

Rang me again today to offer me 40% to renew for another year (which I did). We use c. 6500 units a year.

Just encase there's anyone else in a similar boat - best to hold out till closer to the contract end date.

Advertisement