Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

It says BWG in your tariff category..........

Unless you post the unit rate, nobody here can say if you're charged correctly. It should be 27.51 (ex vat) on your bill. Hence it's 29.99 (inc VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I think someone posted that you couldn't avail of bonkers if you had opted for the time of use tariff. I don't know the reason.I have been going through Bonkers for many years now at the end of each contract and have always found it very user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Just think about it... Comparison of time of use rates of different providers would involve having to enter specific consumptions for the various periods, some of which differ depending on the provider. And that's not to mention free weekly periods of usage, which again can vary between providers. There would seem to currently be just too many variables and it gets very complicated.

It does however raise the interesting question as to the usefulness of sites like bonkers.ie going forward, as we'll all have smart meters and likely be moved to TOU plans eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

ESB Networks provide your smart electricity meter data through their site, in the form of a HDF (CSV) file. Which means that technically the data is available for your usage between 8am -11pm, 5pm - 7pm etc over the last year, if you download it. You would just need to be pretty handy at Excel to work out your usage at the different hours.

If there was a more coordinated way of having this data collected, stored and shared with sites like bonkers.ie then you could feed in your annual usage of electricity across day, night and peak and get a really accurate idea of what plan would suit best. Like even if bonkers.ie could allow you to upload your HDF file at least then you could accurately compare.

As it stands I'm only just about able to estimate my TOU usage over the last 9 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

When did you sign up?

I signed up the 21/08 and haven't heard or got anything from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

guys whats the best value electric company to go with??.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Think they're saying the amount of different plans & usage patterns would be too much for the comparison sites

You can cycle through the different periods on the smart meter to get the data a lot easier than messing about with that hdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ESB networks were supposed to provide meter data independent of the consumer providers. The obvious way forward is for this to happen based on your MPRN and for people to be able to download this and do sums on it or send it to Bonkers to whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Each of them is the best value for a different segment of the market / usage pattern. Enter your details into bonkers/switcher.ie and find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You are right that it is different for different usage patterns, but bonkers is not going to help much. Particularly not with smart plans. You will have to do the sums yourself based on your usage. And if you have an EV, electric (heat pump) heating, solar PV and / or a battery has a huge impact on how much each plan costs. I'm actually going to pay less for electricity the coming year than I have for many years, even though I have 2 EVs now. Just because I get a 3 hour a day slot with electricity of just 5c. I will be using almost only at this rate, so the higher rate the rest of the day doesn't bother me. I will also get paid well for exporting to the grid.

Do you have to keep reminding us?!! ;)

The plan is available to everyone! 😁

Might be a good reason to go ahead for some folk to buy an EV, get solar and / or even a battery? Payback times are very different on all this stuff now than they were a couple years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

You're right. I had read how the OP's question was formulated, i.e. not giving any sort of detail about themselves (usage, appliances, meter type, etc), and also apparently not willing to invest time to read back a few pages. Based on that I assumed that 1/ they're not in a "special" usage type, more like one of the "mainstream" ones and 2/ they're not going to spend time getting their usage details and doing maths. (I'm not saying this as a criticism, there are thousands good reasons why people don't have time for that.) If they're in that situation, bonkers and al are probably the best compromise, they can give a good enough answer with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

best option for you is to get a pen and paper out and take notes of the cost using your last bill, it’s not a one for all cheap plan unfortunately, Energia is good for one person and rubbish for another

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I would suggest you use your bills for the last 12 months to calculate your annual usage. Feed your annual usage into Bonkers or Switcher to see what they recommend. Alternatively create your own excel spreadsheet using pricing data from the individual suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Who’s the 5c off peak rate with ???

Pinergy

Not an off-peak rate. A rate only valid between 2AM and 5AM (unlimited) if you have a smart meter and join their smart EV plan on a 2 year contract via a community deal. Still available at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Thanks @unkel

tempting alright, I need to get another 5kW of battery I think to take advantage of that. Back to trawling the renewables thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I am with Bord Gais for several years for electricity and the renewal is coming up. They have offered 29.40 cent per kWh for the next offer, but when I check Bonkers/Switcher for this, no other supplier seems to come close to per unit rate when I check on my last 12 months usage. My tariff (affinity deal 39%) isn't listed on any of the Bonkers/Switcher options. I had presumed switching would be the best option. Thanks.

• Advertisement

As mentioned many times recently in this thread, BG are generally offering the best deal at the moment when it comes to existing customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You won't find anyone better than that for a 24hr rate. I recommend you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Thanks for your help both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If you're a low user, sse -10% + 200 welcome credit is cheaper

Only things to things to consider with it is BG haven't announced reductions yet though they'd need to be bigger than expected to beat it. & they seem to offer the same % discount to renew multiple years, so might be better long term

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Renewed with Energia this morning to buy myself another 14 days to find something better.

My rates have gone from 33.8c and 9.73c to 45.12c and 21.64c. They'll drop again in October with the price decrease but hopefully I won't be there that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With SSE now. Thinking of switching to another provider for the month and going back to in hope of getting the welcome credit. Not sure how long that offer will last though and might it go before 45 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Is the Welcome credit not recouped back from you, if you leave after your first bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

He's switching to another company then back to SSE who will give him the welcome credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Hi, how did they offer this? I’m due to expire in a few weeks, and was on the OBS offer.

Advertisement