Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Time will tell, but its description as 2nd best or a great decision still puts aside its fixed rate aspect. Yes this fixed rate was great in July and August. Yes it's still 2nd best in September (but better by a smaller margin when compared to the others). But we're comparing a 12 month period, and later in the year it may be slightly more expensive. Maybe not by a margin that will decide people to pay an exit fee, and certainly not a bad deal overall on 12 months, but just I think at the end of these 12 months, it won't look like a great decision, not a bad decision either, just an average decision that didn't deserve the attention and cult it received on this thread (not from you, though, but some other posters were not giving balanced advice at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Well, I had no problems when I left BG for the Flogas fixed 24hr rate, made a big difference to my bills and gives me certainty for the coming months. I'll see what's around next April when my contract is up, maybe there'll have been another round of price cuts, not holding my breath though 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

I thought that as well. I changed over to WP in June and was/am happy with the service and the price. At the time I was questioning myself, but I am glad I went on my own research. As you said, they were dismissed by people at the time on this thread. I'm glad of the savings and I hope others get a good deal somewhere soon. It's not easy trying to live financially in this world at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

BGE is offering 20% off dual fuel. It seems to be for existing customers only.

I just received this email from them. I'm not sure why they sent me this, though, I'm not getting 10% off as they say, and I don't know what would be the offer if I switched my non-existing gas supply to them, would my 33% off be increased?

We're getting in touch to let you know that you could be saving more on your energy bills.

At the moment, you're getting 10% off your electricity unit rates – did you know that by switching to us for gas too, you'll get a 20% discount on your gas and electricity?**.

Switching is quick and easy and could save you up to €364 a year*.

But hurry, this is a limited time offer from us and is only available through this email. So don't miss out, click below to start saving now.

Get your exclusive discount

Your estimated annual bill for gas and electricity will be €3,363*.

Conditions apply

*Annual savings figure of up to €364 when compared to our standard gas and electricity urban 24 standard tariff including customer’s current 10% discount in electricity. EAB for this offer of €3,363 based on Electricity urban 24 hour tariff with a discounted unit rate of 38.55 c/kWh (inc. VAT) and an annual standing charge of €281.12 (inc. VAT), Gas Standard tariff with a discounted unit rate of 11.68 c/ kWh (inc. VAT) and an annual standing charge of €169.40 (inc. VAT) and average annual consumption of 4,200 kWh in electricity and 11,000 kWh in Gas. See bordgaisenergy.ie for more details on our tariffs and the EAB.

**Discounts are for 12 months on our standard unit rates with Direct Debit and paperless billing. 5% discount thereafter for continuing to pay by Direct Debit and paperless billing. Dual Fuel Contract of 12 months. Early Exit Fee of €50 applies. Gas and Electricity prices effective from 1 May 2023 and are subject to change. Offers valid from today. Ts and Cs apply. See bordgaisenergy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Signed up to Flogas 17th July, still awaiting my bill. Any others in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Submit a reading. They'll issue you a bill very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Most people avoid bills

can I get on your boat lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

I signed up in April, it was July before I got my first bill. They process bills around the 28th of the month, in my case the reading was taken automatically from the meter on the 28th of June, the bill was issued on the 5th of July with payment taken the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What is the current best rate available to new customers though? Flogas still beats that. Most people were in that situation.

It's only 50 euro to exit, if let's say prices dip 3c under Flogas offering you could leave and would recoup your exit fee on 2 winter bills assuming a 900ish kwh average winter bill. There's no major hassle. Considering more people signed up in July/Aug it's very unlikely to work out more expensive over a year considering the savings they'll make between July and Nov when the new prices kick in.

I also think prices falling to 26c or below are highly unlikely outside of Water Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

I am with them since 26th July still have not received 1st bill. I emailed them last week they replied bill will be issued 3rd Oct

• Advertisement

Best to provide a meter reading around now if you're on an old type meter.

Smart meter so they have the reading have made a few prepayment so have a good idea what the bill will

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Are flogas the cheapest at the moment for those on smart meters?

The offer is gone and my smart meter is unactivated, I'm still mcc01

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Switched from Energia to BG yesterday.

Today Energia, as predicted, rang with the same 20% that they refused to give me when I asked.

Fortunately for them, they now work out as the cheapest EAB I can get, so they retain me, despite the ridiculous hoop jumping they put me through.

I guess they must have been fairly sure that no competitor’s price drop was going to beat this 20% offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The high standing charges for flogas are a bit of a stinker, especially for gas. Paying 20quid a month when not even using gas at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

After October 3: 36.1 day, 17.32 night, 9.47 gas.

They also gave me €50 credit.

It’s the gas rate that makes this cheaper than the competitors for my usage pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hi Everyone.

I've been following this thread for some time now as my contract for electricity with Electric Ireland runs out tomorrow.

We have a smart meter on a 24 hour tariff with 22% off standard rates.

We would like to stay on a 24 hour tariff if possible.

I have been looking at SSE Airtricity who are offering 20% off their standard rates. Their SC is also cheaper.

I am pushing on in years & no longer as sharp as I was so I'm having difficulty with the figures in knowing if there's something else cheaper out there ?

I know there are people on here who have all this down to a tee so I could do with a little help.

We are using 6250kWt per year approx.

Thanks everyone.

Tony.

• Advertisement

The first thing you need to check being an EI customer is your meter status, MCC 01 and you're 24hr MCC 02 and you're stuck with smart plans from now on. You'll find this in the top right corner of your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Bord Gáis is offering me 25% discount to renew my 24 hour variable urban rate plan.

Standard rate is currently 44.21 which drops to 37.58 when they bring their prices down 15% in November.

25% off 37.58 brings it down to 28.19 per kw - edit; plus VAT of 9% brings it back to 30.7 or so.

Do these workings look right?

Any better value out there? I’ve looked through the thread and can’t see anything better but I’m finding things more confusing than usual this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There is nothing special in the thread anymore you just need to use a comparison website and find what’s the best deal available to suit your needs, it will differ depending on usage and meter or whether you’re dual fuel so it’s not a one size fits all price wise, but like car insurance really.

the thread used to have links for deals with flogas that weren’t publicly available but they are finished now

The internet isn’t for everyone

25% looks quite low compared to what others have been offered, when does your contract expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What kind of rates are they offering other people?

Are they still pretty high for new customers?

Hi

My Smart Meter is un-activated so I am on a 24 Hour Flogas Community plan that was discussed here a while back I am expecting .29c per unit inc VAT but have not received my first bill yet so will see. This is what I signed up for though.

So not on any smart rates at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Yes, its all gone very confusing, so many different tarrifs, its nearly as bad as trying to choose a health insurance policy at this stage. Stay with BG its as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They have offered some people up to 44% off on top of the coming discount. They offered me 15% off at around the same time, maybe 1-2 days earlier but I'm not sure.

They are only offering 15% to new customers afaik. I haven't looked in at least a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Your maths is right.

While other people are being offered better rates with BGE, that is still the best deal available to you right now.

Advertisement