Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

24 hour rates are really straightforward to calculate what is best for you.

Smart tariffs are still, in my opinion, really easy to calculate once you have a year of data but are a lot more complicated then others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

based on the upcoming price drops in October and November, that's pretty much the cheapest 24 hour rate you're going to get. Your annual cost will be €2364. There's not a huge amount between the main providers though (other than Electric Ireland who are more expensive than the rest).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

So I just had an interesting conversation... Had scheduled my d/n meter to be changed to a smart meter this morning. (to go the way of @unkel and @DrPhilG to Pinergy and get the cheapest nighttime rate and a good F.I.T.)

The 2 guys arrived and we got chatting. I was asked why am I changing from d/n to smart and I explained how it was the only way I could avail of cheap nighttime electricity.

"Why don't you just wait for the smart d/n meters? We're going to have them next month!".

So as per their recommendation, I didn't change over to smart today, and they've put in a request for my provider to call me re: booking a smart d/n meter. I'm with Energia, so it'll be interesting to see how that conversation goes, I'll keep ye posted here.

Am I right in thinking that smart d/n plans don't yet exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

On other threads BG are offering between 35 and 40% discount to present customers who's contracts are ending. They usually make the first offer 45 days before expiry, it's imperative to keep checking the app as your expiry date approaches and not to go past your expiry date, once you're out of contract it's game over. Don't ring them as they play dumb and won't offer anything above the new customer discount.

The installation of smart meters that are capable of day/night plans has been flagged in this thread.

Smart D/N plans are just normal smart plans. TBH, there I don't see the immediate benefit as to waiting. You want to switch to a ToU tariff and at the moment, you are unable to switch back. There is one 24hr smart plan on the market and I don't really see smart D/N plans being introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

Thanks for this. Is it only in the app that they make these offers, rather than email also? I renewed by existing BGE contract yesterday at the same 32% discount, but hadn't checked the app first. My bad. I'm in a 14 day cooling off period. I wonder if I cancelled my new contract would they offer something better. Not sure it's worth the risk though as I'd be out of contract from tomorrow (current plan expires today) so would be paying higher rates in the meantime. Open to any suggestions.

Its very clearly not worth the risk. If you cancel your new contract today, they likely won't offer you anything to stay. They likely wouldn't have processed your cancellation by close of business today.

32% is a very good deal. Unless you are dual fuel, the most people have been offered is 38% to the best of my knowledge. Hence, you're down a maximum of 6%. Over the course of a year, its only a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There were two when I was looking. A 24hr plan with smart statistics/monitoring. I assume that activates the smart meter. Seemed to be the same price as the regular non smart plan

And also some of the EV plans don't have a peak rate. Like energia is just 6am-2am and 2am-6am

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Thanks for that.

Can I ask how did you work out the annual cost ?

Is it the amount of units per year plus the SC inclusive of Vat ?

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

I think it could be a bit fuzzier than that.

There are meters that support either smart and 24hrs or smart and D/N, but there are only 3 meter configurations: 24hrs, D/N, smart. If things were simple, once you activate your smart meter, whether you're coming from a 24hrs or a D/N should become irrelevant, you'd have access to the exact same offers in both cases.

In theory, there isn't a set of offers for "24hrs smart" meters and potentially different offers for "D/N smart" meters.

But in practice, we see suppliers creating smart plans that replicate the old 24hrs by having the same prices in every time slot (not differentiating any of peak, night boost, weekend days). But where it gets really tricky, is that some make these plans available only to certain customers - typically existing 24hrs customers switching to their first smart plan, to remove barriers to making the switch.

Similarly, once the rollout of smart D/N meters gets underway, we could see smart/ToU plans that replicate the old D/N rates, to help moving D/N customers to smart. And these plans could well be available only to existing D/N customers.

It's a bit of theory and extrapolation on my part, but that could be the reasoning behind the advice that was given.

• Advertisement

Unit price multiplied by the number of units + the standing charge. If you really want to be accurate + the PSO levy (which is a negative number at the moment)

I think in most places it's illegal to quote prices without VAT it's annoying that some electricity suppliers do it. No residential customer is going to not be paying VAT. I just take the prices including VAT from the website and ignore the ones without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking the prices.

SSE standard rate is currently 44.26c ex VAT

It's being reduced by 12% in november - 38.94c

20% discount = 31.15c x 6250 units = 1947.44

plus Standing charge of 221.08 = 2168.52

add 9% VAT to get €2364

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Anyone getting any decent renewal offers from Airtricity? Best they say they can do is 10% but new customers get 20%...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

I was offered 20% last week to stay after signing up with Energia, turned them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Where in the app can you find it? I will be out of contract in the middle of November. Cheers

I've only seen it on the website. It's in the top half of the screen, just under where it gives you your account number and last bill total

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Out of contract next month with BG, theyre offering 9.06kwh for Gas (standing charge 169.40) and 29.88 per kwh electricity urban 24hr rate (standing charge 281.12). Does that seem competitive? Im finding it hard enough to compare to the other providers. electricity usage last 12 months was approx 3000kwh and gas was 5800kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have an elderly relative who somehow ended up with electricity (EI) via one provider and gas via another (BG). Consequently they are not getting the decent dual fuel discounts that are available.

If they switched gas to EI say, and signed up for dual fuel 12 contract as part of that, I'm hoping that would get discount for both fuels.

Anyone have experience with such a move?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Some peoples usage would not benefit from dual fuel. If you have any idea of their usage, try work out an average for them. Signing them up to DF might work out as costly as they are on now or more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you mean in a scenario where unit price is significantly cheaper for electricity with Provider A and gas significantly cheaper with Provider B?

I'll keep that in mind.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's often cheaper to go with different suppliers for gas and electricity

Doesn't need to be significant. Sure they will give you an extra 5% off but if they are 10% more expensive then you're loosing

For an elderly person, dual fuel makes the most sense. Otherwise they may struggle with two separate companies, two separate portals, etc. If it is all with one company, it should be far easier. The difference will likely to minor enough cost wise and most likely dual fuel will be cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's where they'd have to decide easier managed utilities or possibly cheaper with 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

So even though they are only offering me 25% at the moment they might go higher closer to expiry date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Flogas currently have a fixed plan 38.81 Day, 18.81 Night and €331.33 standing charge or 35.74 24hr €257.38 standing charge

Not as good as the BGE/Community plans but potentially better than what others are being offered at the moment

There is no evidence to show that Bord Gais energy will improve on their offer. A 25% retention offer may be the new offering with the 15% price reduction. If you choose to wait, you gamble on them pulling that offer. It is a roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Going by Bonkers, Energia is still the best value for a dual fuel deal after all the reductions from the other companies. I've just gone with a basic 'I use the national average' type quote. Does this sound right?

I'm currently out of contract with Electric Ireland so looking to move as they've moved me to an 8.5% discount plan which is not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Just to send an update.

I’ve just agreed to the BGE OBS renewal offer. 38% off their standard which based on my usage is the best offering for me.

Prior to the most recent deductions, SSE was working out best. (Pro-rata usage factored in).

My contract expires tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else going through the pain of picking a plan.

Advertisement