Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lob020

Current prices,they will be reduced in Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

What are people using to find best prices? Currently with bord gais contract out 14th October and I’m moving house then as well .

Might give them a call to see what they can do, what do you normally ask for to see if they giving you a good rate

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I say a novena to St Eligius, then flatten my prayer beads in a lightbulb shape overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Try Bonkers.ie.

I was/am with BGE too and have had a terrible renewal experience. Given misinformation on 3 occasions in the space of less than a month. The latest misinformation I was given by a field rep, which I only discovered today, over 2 weeks since I renewed. Due to this they are allowing me out of the contract without having to pay the cancellation fee, but they will not honour the unit prices that the field rep agreed with me. It's been an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Energia updated rates on their site.

24h Smart cheaper than 24h Standart meter.

37.05 vs 34.88(smart) both incl Vat.

Nice to see that

I still prefer TOU due to my work and shift pattern.

Will switch to them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

@bigboss1986 can you send a link please as I am thinking of switching over to them today.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

Check your renewal offer. Likely 15% off in addition to the 15% drop in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Have it in my account but discount now is merely 15% so can wait maybe they will change it or shop around a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Looks like the big BGE renewal discounts were short lived. They seemed to appear at the end of August and Disappear before the end of September. People that had contracts expire before and after that time did not get offered anything like the 33-44% discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

I moved recently and was still in contract with BGE.

Interestingly instead of a transfer they close your old account and sign you up to a new one. There is info on their website about this, what it doesn't say is that you also need your IBAN in order to se up the new account at the new address. I paused the process here and basically what I had done was cancelled my existing contract with no fee. (I don't know if they ever charge the €50 for cancelling early).

Then the fun started, for my new plan I was bombarded with prices (for each plan I got the unit price, discount price and the same for the upcoming reductions. 8 electricity prices for one plan. Agent would not put anything in writing in an email to me.). There is a smart plan with 20% discount on electricity and gas rates.

Currently trying to figure out their free Saturday or Sunday offer. Nominate one of the days and between 9am and 5pm electricity is free that day, subject to FUP. Trying to figure out if rest of week is at 20% discount or not. Told on the phone no, online yes. Website is ambiguous. Anyone on this plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Did you get a confirmation email after you renewed? I renewed on Wednesday night and I got an email about 10 mins later confirming it including the 38% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Many thanks, this worked, exactly, as you said it would, i switched yesterday from Energia, and they callled me earlier, got my 20 % off day/night, which are now, 36.10 / 17.32 inc vat, the 20% off is backdated to end of my last contract, and pushed for more, and they gave me the €50 cashback also.

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I signed up to this yesterday, free saturday with 20% off prices for rest of week is my understanding.

I havent had a confirmation email with the terms or its not showing on my online account yet.

My head was spinning trying to figure out what deal to take from where, the BGE one seemed as good as any available for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What are the unit rates? Is it day, peak, night for the other six days? I found those plans are extremely expensive, there's no such thing as free electricity. I'm so glad I took the Flogas fixed plan 30c 24hr, with BG withdrawing their renewal offers it's the best rate out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Yes rate is something like 40-49-29. It appeared to me to be better pricing on the free saturday deal than the standard smart rate deal.

30c 24hour flat rate probably trumps that alright, but that's not available to me at moment. (its 35c ish now?)

I'm on a similar plan but as a renewal, so it's 15% off for the rest of the week instead of 20%. We chose Sunday as our free day. We've had 2 Sundays of it so far, and haven't gotten anywhere close to the 20kwh limit, so will likely not hit the 100kwh limit for the month.

They gave me such misinformation, and outright false advertising too, that they are actually letting me out of the contract with no penalty. I'm looking to switch asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

Is there any point ringing around to get quotes or are people just going with whatever bonkers.ie suggest?

Contract ending with electric Ireland and had been on 30% discount with them. Offering a pitiful 5.5% and €50 credit to renew so was just going to switch to SSE who come up as cheapest (but still bit more than what I was paying last 12 months on the EI 30% discount)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Use bonkers or equivalent there’s no secret deals anymore 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

I wonder if that was a short term offer designed to retain all the customers that signed up via One Big Switch last year. That 33% off dual fuel offer was literally the last big discounted offer from any of the providers last year. Most of them started withdrawing their cashback or discounted offers from their own websites as well as all the incentivised offers from the likes of bonkers and switcher last September/early October. I signed up for the OBS offer this time last year, and told my brother to grab it while it was still there. I think it disappeared within days of him switching so the timeframe fits. If they pulled the OBS offer by mid October 22 most people on it would have been notified that it was coming to an end 6 weeks before mid October 23.

• Advertisement

I think they set a unit rate to retain customers, then announced the price cut, the discount percentage was then adjusted to maintain the new desired unit rate to retain customers. I think that's half of it.

I think the other half is what you suggest. OBS would be a big bulge of customers and they wanted to retain a certain number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

That makes sense, i also signed up via that OBS offer in early Oct last year

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Am moving into an apartment with storage heating so will need a day/night plan, but on bonkers it's only giving me Prepay power, Pinergy and Yuno as options. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Flogas definitely offered day\night plan, buddy of mine signed up earlier this year. You have to search on their website to find the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Will do, just saw a lot of suggestions for using bonkers above so thought would pull them in. Will look at each of the sites. Thanks.

Click NO to "Only show tariffs available for sign up?"

You're only seeing offers where bonkers gets a commission when you leave it as the defaulted "yes". You will see all offers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

For anyone who has had their D/N meter replaced with the smart D/N meter did the contractor contact in advance to say what day/time or did they just turn up and switch it off with no warning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

We had a letter from Circet this morning. It said to contact them if we wanted to arrange a specific date for the installation (you don’t actually need to be at home when it’s being done once the meter is outside, but I’m keen to get the RM108 so I’d rather be at home to see what they’re going to install).

I gave them a call & was able to arrange it for tomorrow afternoon & I also flagged the fact that I wanted the RM108.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

An installer for TLI sent me a text message last week saying he'd be calling to do the switchover the following afternoon. I hadn't booked anything in advance, had only received the generic letters from ESB about the upcoming rollout.

Advertisement