Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I emailed energia and they set me up on 24hr smart meter tariff paying 32.94c including vat. Looked around and that was best deal for me after loosing my 30% electric ireland discount

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just off phone with Energia. Electricity contract is up in November, and I was out of contract on Gas.

I'm on a smart meter D/N/P as it is. So they were offering me an additional 12% discount to stay in contract for 1 year or 14% for 2 years. I pushed him about that being the best additional discount he could give, as I was hearing SSE door-door people were offering better rates, and then people that had switched that were with Energia were being offered an additional discount not to switch, and I didn't want to go through that rigmarole 😀

I wasn't interested in a two year contract for just an additional 2%, So he upped the additional discount to 15% for 1 year contract.

Electricity (inc VAT):

Day: 34.57c

Peak: 36.23c

Night: 18.51c

Annual Standing charge 236.62

GAS (inc VAT)

For the Gas, he also applied the 15% discount to, for 1 year contract, and back dated it for me. The rate is working out at 10.07c

Annual Standing charge 141.60

So I'm reasonably happy with that for now, as Energia have the better standing charges I believe.

If things drop further or better options appear in the new year, I wont be worried about breaking contract if it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For those still waiting on a Flogas welcome pack from the last days of the Community rate - I got my flogas welcome pack... 2 months late!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Same, just got mine yesterday after signing up to BWG rate on 23rd of August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Getting closer to the 31st Oct - it will be interesting to see if WaterPower will have got their act together at this stage or just opt to yet again postpone new customer signups. I'm not holding out much hope. If they don't deliver, then I reckon there must be an agenda on their side, in that they might really only be interested in new business customers and are signing these up in the background...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

I rang Bord Gais to confirm they had manually changed the renewal discount from 15% to the previously offered 33% as agreed, was told it's been done.

I rang BG last Friday and was 1st in queue, talking to a foreign girl, Indian maybe, I asked about the 33% deal that was on account for renewal, the fact it had decreased to 15%. I said I'd have renewed at 33% but got sidetracked with domestic issues. She couldn't do anything. I received a call yesterday from BG, explained situation again, told me he'd speak to his supervisor and get back before week out, rang back this morning, said it'll go through at 15 and manually change to 33% after, for a unit rate of 27c odd from 9/11. Contact up 21/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Their prices have been creeping up every month

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Not a big deal so long as their margin isn't creeping up...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did I notice or did I imagine it that the Flogas fixed rates dropped a bit

Used to be about 40c with €300 standing charge now 35.74c and €257 Standing Charge

Still higher than the community/BG plan they had mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TabbyLongTails

What’s the best rates for electric and gas today as a new sign up? I got a new house and need to sign up asap

Also, I remember someone on here posting some link of an employee only rate for some company that was actually available for everyone, where the hell was that again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

edit: cannot delete figure quoted is before 9% vat rate and figure given by sales team is including vat im guessing. Apologies

Use bonkers - it’s not a one size fits all sadly

the special offer for staff members is long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Bord gais sales knocked at the door and offered 25% discount on both gas and electric. Website only offering 15% on both at the minute. She said its a door to door offer not available on line. Offering 28 cent per unit electric with 60cent a day standing charge and 8.49 cent per unit gas and 36 cent a day standing charge. Currently with flogas on the community deal or whatever it is, the link posted here ages ago. 34 cent electric unit and 76 cent a day standing charge. 87 cent gas and 60 cent a day standing charge gas.

Did you get the offer from them in writing ? I wouldn’t believe anything they say in a verbal agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Got pics of the deal on offer from her tablet that she had with her. Seems like a good deal. Be within my 14 day cooling off if offer not confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Trying to compare plans and have a quick question. In my smart data where I am trying to work out what I use on peak rate between 5 and 7, should I be looking at 17:30, 18:00, 18:30 and 19:00? My thinking is the time is the measurement time and it is for the previous 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Thanks ! Energia looks the best at the moment?

EI not willing to offer anything decent to stay with them

Sorry a question, my EI contract ends on 11th November. Can I switch now without an exit fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Not until the day afaik, was onto a sales agent Friday and they said I’d have to call back on contract end date, not sure if online through a third party is any different.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

EI were the worst of the companies I talked to, they did nothing to keep my business. The guy in airtricity (who have my gas account) did his best but couldn't come near the Energia price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Did you check Bonkers and Switcher as Energia not come up in the results for plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Unfortunately not, BG to be fair to them didn't charge me the 50 but I don't think EI are as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Just on the data download from esb Networks. It gives a breakdown for every 30 minutes.. So to get a usage do I just sum up all the readings for a period to get the total usage for a specific time period.

If so how does this tie back to UNITS in the bill. For example. My last bill usage was 754 units but when I add up all the figures on the csv file I'm getting almost 1500kwh for the same period. What am I doing wrong here. I always though 1 kW = 1 unit.

Edit,

See now, that's not the same. Divide that figure by 2 to convert to Units.

Pays the Read the FAQs every now and again.

Yes, but also direct with the suppliers, over the phone to ask for best rate.

Smart 24h with 15% discount as someone else posted a few days ago. I live in an apartment so running appliances at night isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

Did you get 15 percent discount from energia by phoning? Website just says 10 percent off standard rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭pat1981

• Advertisement

I actually filled in the contact form for reply by email and they sent it to me by email and phoned me the next day to see if I wanted to sign up. Not a peep out of EI to try to keep my business

Advertisement