Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

The FloGas deal was available until mid June if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I signed up to the BWG deal in April @ 29.99c, there's nobody anywhere near that price yet, maybe some provider might get close to it by next April, I'm not holding my breath 😏

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep, If they get the SM data, Its activated. that's the only way they can get the 30 minute interval data.

If they didn't need it, they wouldn't require a sm install.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Cheaper yes, because they were absolutely expensive. But none is below Flogas that we had available back then...

• Advertisement

I presume that FloGas thing was a standard meter plan, because their smart plan wasn't anywhere near that. The likes of that on a standard plan won't be seen again I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

August actually! I sugned up then, got my first electrucity bill from them recently, im paying 29.99 cents a unit includung vat. Im paying less this yesr than i was last year when i was with bord gais and i had their 40% discount.

Not everyone has a smart meter installed so not everyone will be on smart tariff next year.

Some got same deal 39% deal as last year, others didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

There was a smart meter plan but that was pulled earlier (around March but I am guessing). A few posters had the link and managed to get signed up after it disappeared from the website. However, the rates wasn't 29.99 it was slightly higher but still an absolute cracking deal.

• Advertisement

Their day/ night deal was brilliant 33.38/14.75, nobody near those rates yet either. Unfortunately I couldn't get a meter installed to avail of the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You sure about that? Might have overcharged with BG as it would be less than flogas

Yes, BG price per unit was higher than what im paying flogas now. Their standing charge was higher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

BG -40% should have been 2892c inc. vat, SC was 281 also cheaper than FG 302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Are they for real, please tell me this is a joke. We already have more add on charges and levies than probably any other country, where exactly are they being spent. Now I know it says more so targeting industry and data centres but that means nothing.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sideview

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice on here.

I'm still struggling a little to figure it all out.

I was with Energia and rang them to renew.

They offered a 15% discount for a two year contract. I'm on Day/Night meter.

Because I have storage heaters in my apt. my night usage is high in winter particularly. It averages as 60%+ of my use over the year.

With the 15% discount the rates now are:

Day 38.36 Inc Vat

Night 18.40 Inc Vat

Standard charge 296 euro over the year.

They will back date these rates to Oct 3rd and the 15% reduction to August.

I'm inclined to accept it as I can't see anything much better on Bonkers comparison.

But just wondering if anyone has any advice on if it seems reasonable?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭newhouse87

So they want people to go green and use heat pumps but these use higher amounts of electricity so now you will be penalized more for having green house. Awful awful clowns in this govt and no alternative unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Day 33.74

Peak 38.15

Night 23.11

were the rates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Hi folks,

I just got solar PV and 10kw battery installed. I have a smart meter installed (so too late to dodge that bullet) and am currently with electric Ireland on a home electric+ Weekender tariff. I'm out of contract but was waiting until the solar and battery were installed to switch and that time is now.

Is there a perceived best value tariff at the moment that will allow me to charge the battery cheaply at night without extortionate peak rates during the day/evening?

I was looking at the night boost tariff with electric Ireland which looks decent but the day rate is 39.31 (which is still cheaper than my current rubbish plan). It's hard to work out the best course of action. Ideally I should not have gotten a smart meter and switched to day/night tariff but that ship has sailed.

Anyone in a similar situation to mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There is a 5c 02:00-05:00, otherwise 41.39 Lifestyle ‘EV Drive Time’ https://pinergy.ie/terms-conditions/tariffs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

Hey, I am looking for a bit of advice.

I am currently looking to change my Elec & Gas plan. I am with Electric Ireland on their Night Boost Smart plan last year's rates getting absolutely screwed by now. I was waiting for the reductions in the tariffs to come in before moving.

Current Rates are:

Elec - Day - 0.4241, Night- 0.2092, EV Boost (2-4am) - 0.1228 (No Peak Charge), Standing Charge: €364.12

Gas is 0.1346 rate with a standing charge 174.908

I tried to use Bonkers but tbh I never find it any use and it tells me I'm already on the lowest rate even when I manually put in everything.

I instead went to all the companies and got the rates and then compared them in an Excel. The one I had settled on was the Fixed-rate dual fuel 24hr from Airtricity Elec. However, I have since learned from here and other places that since I have had a smart plan tariff I can't go back to a standard one. - Funny enough I ran Airtricity and eventually got talking to someone and they said you could but not for the fixed tariff, however on their site it says you can't even with the variable tariff.

So the options I have narrowed down to are:

Airtricity Smart Fixed - Elec - Day 0.3368 Night 0.2184 Peak 0.4255 SC €240.97 (Gas: 0.982 SC €152.31)

Energia Smart Day/Night which is a 24Hr Smart rate for elec at 0.3488 with SC €236.62 (Gas 0.1067 SC €141.6)

Bord Gais Smart EV - Day 0.3246 Night 0.2449 Peak 0.4527 EV 0.0828 SC €353.85 (Gas 0.988 SC €143.15)

I have an EV but I mainly charge at work now as I am in the office one day a week and we get free charging. I worked out my usage over the last year and 80% was during the day as both my wife and I work from home most of the week and use the dryer etc during the day. Not sure how much of that was during peak time but we could adapt our usage a bit to not use the heavy items like the dryer between 5 and 7.

Mainly trying to decide between going for a Fixed Rate with Energia and taking the risk that rates might drop more over the next year meaning I'm overpaying or going for an effective 24-hour rate with Energia and having consistency all day at a slightly higher rate which could also go up or down.

The Bord Gais rates are probably the best overall but the higher Standing Charge like with Electic Ireland is a piss take at this stage.

What are people's opinions of the Fixed rates and are they a good idea in the current climate? Have people managed to get better deals ringing up (not for renewal)

Sorry for the long post and if this was covered before, I tried to search but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I would've thought 10kWh would cover most or even all of an average household's daytime electricity consumption, so, assuming the battery is fully charged at the start of the day, you might not consume enough day rate electricity for this to be much of a concern? If so, maybe you could just go with whatever tariff has the lowest night time rate?

Obviously not everyone is average, so perhaps this won't work for you.

Some are using some kind of Pinergy plan but I can't find it anywhere on their horrible site. Would the energia EV plan suit you? 8c from 2-6am and 36c for the other hours 236 standing charge, no peak rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭pat1981

I ended up going with energia after cancelling the 1 year fixed with flogas, my rates are d-34.57, P-36.23, and N- 18.51. Incl v.a.t

I was given the 15% discount from energia over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks for the info, that energia plan might actually work best. The peak rate is relatively low all things considered and the .08c all night is perfect.

I haven't actually started using the battery yet (getting installed tomorrow) but isn't there limits on how you can use the 10kw? AFAIK it's a bit more complicated than having the whole 10kw to use on tap so to speak (I could be wrong on this).

I know what you mean though, if I can top up the battery for as cheap as possible and if the battery covers the next day it wouldn't really matter what the rate is.

Thanks for info I might make a few calls and see can I get anything further off.

When people say they are getting 15% off from Energia, does this include the direct debit & online billing discount?

I originally thought it was 15% in addition to them, but reading the email sent through by Energia to me they account for 10% of my reduction.

Below:

Affinity Code Discount (5%) , Direct Debit Discount (6%) & Online Billing Discount (4%) .

Yea, it's 5% in reality as everyone does DD and paperless billing nowadays. I'm sure somebody will be along to say they don't but you get my drift.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on an extra reduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

I got the same message on their chat, despite their T&Cs say that the customer must install a smart meter. I didn't trust them and didn't sign up, because I don't want a smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Anybody got the Waterpower Day/Night unit rates for October?

Advertisement