Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Feck it anyway, interesting that when I was in to EI they offered me a fixed 24hr rate and not the smart 3 different level rate, how can they do that & not other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

Any provider could give a smart plan that the the same unit price all the time just like a 24 hour plan. Others just choose not to offer one. EI were particularly sneaky about switching people to their "24 hour" smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Yeah, how can fixed rate plan with "energy insights" equal a smart plan. I applied and got rejected as Electric Ireland changed my meter to MCC12 once I signed up to their plan over 2-3 years ago. Had I known at the time I would have never selected that plan! I put in a complaint as it must violate our consumer rights and access to the free market when we are now restricted to smart only plans, I wonder what the CRU ombudsman has to say on the matter.

Not expecting much though, guess I'm stuck on a "smart plan" going forward :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcarv

Greetings frugals,

I managed to renew my BWG that I signed up last May this week to the new BWG rate. I currently have a Smart meter installed and gas as well.

I didn’t have an option for the smart meter in the website to renew, it only gave me the option to call them.

I then went to the dual fuel offer, which is a non smart meter rate. They emailed me saying I could not switch because I had the MCC12.

I simply took a screenshot of the smart rate and asked if they could sign me up for that one. They confirmed on the same day. And it is now on a 12 month contract until the 31st of March 2025. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

My contract wasnt up with Energia until 10/2024.I didnt start switch to anyone just gave them call today and signed new 12months contract without 50€ penalty.

Im on smart meter(activated) and got 24% discount from standard rates.

35.84--->27.24(variable) vat incl. 24h plan so no more different rates during day.

Not as good as BWG but its fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah i’m on D/N with energia- on -20 % until SEP 1st,rang and asked about getting the new 31%(with a new contract)and they didn't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Strange.I didnt push agent at all.He was giving me worse rates for day/night/peak than 24h rates

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

I've actually been out of contract since September, but there was really nothing to switch to until recently with all the price reductions. The rep who rang said Energia are upping the discounts again after losing loads of customers, whether that's true or not who knows, I'm happy out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

So they won't charge you the breakage contract fee of 50 euro. I'm in a similar position, contract is up on the 2nd May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do you have a link to the smart rate you screen shot?

I'm I'm similar situation so just waiting for the email telling me I'm on smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I was able to get the EI new customer smart plan discount by switching under my wife's name. Just in case it suits anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Heiser

I renewed my BWG flogas dual fuel over the weekend and got the email saying they'd received my application.

This morning I got my gas bill and I note the last 4 days have been charged at the new lower rate so looks like it has gone through. Happy days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why did they give you more of a discount than available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

Interesting I rang up yesterday and my contact isn't up until August. The guy on the phone said if I moved to a smart 24h plan it would be 30.11 (inc Vat and 27.62 ext).

The back of the envelope calculations when using last years usage means I'll pay 300e more than if I was on Energia's cheaper plan.

I used https://energypal.ie/ and it is recommending me to move to a smart plan with Bord Gais. Still in two minds on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

And you didn't have to an exit fee? My contract is up in June and i'm not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Heiser

No mention of an exit fee however I'd be due to renew in about 7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭bren2001

My contract up in June. I switched last Friday. Got a bill today. New rate for the last 4 days and no exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

I also signed up last Friday also to the Flogas BWG offer.

All I have received is a thanks for your application email.

Nothing else indicating it's been accepted. No bills. Hoping to see it gone through in the coming days..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Hi, I'm on the BWG rate with D/N since Last Jun (no smart meter) - 33.4c/kwh and 14.75c/kwh. It looks like there's no option for D/N unless smart meter? Anyone else on BWG with D/N avail of recent rates reduction and not move to Smart?

Even moving to the new BWG fixed rate 23.44 from D/N provides a good saving over the existing BWG D/N rates! (based on my day/night spread).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

There is. The 24 hour non smart tarrif has night rates when you click more info.

This is what I signed up for. I also am in contract since last June so fingers crossed the new rates will apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Fair play, that was well hidden!

They're lumping it onto the SC though, €422!

Still, 25.48 and 12.35 versus current 33.33c and 14.75c is pretty good. Will try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok registered on the link and got the below mail My current cooling off period expires tomorrow have not cancelled this yet

anyone try this as not on current BWG rate and get a PFO rejecting email or accepted

Thank you for your application to renew your contract with Flogas.

Your welcome letter with your account details will be issued via email in the next 14 days. There is no need to contact us during this time, we will be in touch should we require any additional information.

Residential Terms & Conditions of your contract, along with our Codes of Practice and other useful documents can be found here.

Should you change your mind, you can cancel the renewal within 14 days of agreeing to the contract, by contacting cancellations@flogas.ie or by completing and returning the cancellation form.

If you have any queries on your application, please feel free to contact us at customersupport@flogas.ie or our Customer Care Team on 041 9874874

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on our electricity consumption for the month of February, especially any Energia customers who can log into their own account & have a look at their own February consumption to see if it’s off,

we have a smart meter & plan, we are creatures of habit but somehow managed to consume more than double the usual amount in February across all tariffs, I’m hoping it’s an error at Energia’s end as we’ve no explanation, gfch maybe on an hour extra a day possibly

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Did ya leave the immersion on?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Yes, and the viral applications filled the quota, not because they did not want to be inundated with more business, its not like they any of them are not making money, even at the slightly reduced rates, they are all creaming it at the consumers expense, while the government continues to sit on its hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

That's the buggy version of your account data analysis that you're seeing. Doesn't calculate consumption data correctly. Probably you get a message that they're working on it. Should look like this when they move you to the new platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I am on the last BWG flogas contract, until Aug/Sept this year.

I emailed to ask can they do anything for me, or can I move to their new fixed rate and got this back.

As you are currently on a fixed rate, we cannot offer you a new fixed rate mid contract.

I have attached our variable rate available below.

As we have a price decrease going live on March 25th, I have attached the rates from now until then and after the decrease goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Email saying I have activated smart meter so I have to contact bwg rep to get smart rate plan. That's me screwed,stupid EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In fairness their smart plan isn't that bad either, did you give it a look? 24c/28c/18c, day, peak, night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ah here, 6 months in is a bit cheeky 🫣. I wonder what the new rates will be after the 25th? We'll be raging if the fixed price drops further😏

Advertisement