Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Exactly the same dates as me, hopefully they won't undercut us on the 25th with a price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Did anyone manage to switch from the Community Rate to this new BWG rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

I’m in the process only signed up last night still in contract up to mid June

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Is it worth getting into another fixed contract for 6c day and 1.5c night savings?

Moving house next month

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Yes! Only signed up to Community Rate in late August. Applied online to switch both gas & electricity (day/night RM108 meter) to the new BWG rate on March 6th & got my Welcome letter in the post today.

Huge thanks to the OP for posting the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I was just looking back over the rates I've been on for the past few years. Boards has saved me a fortune!

Looks like the days of a really cheap night rate are over. The 3 or 4 hour EV rate is if no interest to me.

Sept 22 to Sept 23 Energia 29.42/8.46

Sep 23 to March 24 FG 33.36/14.75

Mar 24 to March 25 FG 25.48/12.35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

I just applied for renewal aswell. My current BWG contract expires next month so this is a good timing. Looks like this BWG is the best deal again this year. Thanks for sharing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcarv

Hi guys, after a few attempts I found the link for the smart meter Bwg electricity with Flogas.

I am new here so I cannot post any links. Please find picture below with the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

From using the link you shared it still brings us to the same call us page which doesn’t work for new customers, might be okay for a renewal but someone else that’s a member will have to answer that

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

To get control of the numbers applying I'd guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

It must depend on your usage and if unit rates will drop anymore in the next 12 mths as opposed to a fixed rate contract.I prefer to compare Bord Gais and BWG/Flogas.Others may agree/disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Can I ask a question. I signed up as a new customer via the online link posted here. Received an email and the paperwork yesterday (only the elec paperwork has arrived so far). How do you know if the BWG rate is the one you are on and not the standard rate as it doesn't mention it in any of the correspondence I have received so far? I know its early days but would like to make sure before the cooling off period is over.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JVince

BWG rate is good https://www.flogas.ie/price-plans/bwg-affinity-rate-res-offer/?availability=renewal_customers

But general rates will continue to fall.

Small business wholesale rate (energia) was 11.4c last month (+9.7c transmission charge), so 21c+ vat inclusive of everything (no standing charges as the transmission charge applies)

On gas, the unit rate was 2.3c and transmission charge 3.3c, so 5.5c all in.

There are no serious threats to supplies and international gas prices are stable, so consumer prices should continue to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭bren2001

people said that this time last year and it turned out BWG was the best deal (or waterpower).

It’s the best rate by a decent bit now. I’m happy to lock in. If something better comes along, I’ll move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

went ahead with it anyway…€50 is contract break charge i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm saying it's a good offer, but rates are continuing to fall.

However at 23c incl vat it is an enticing rate to have no risk and even if rates do drop below this, it won't be by much.

Except that I've just taken a 22% discount from EI, I'd consider the bwg rate

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

New gas bill arrived this morning, with the new lower rate on it. Renewed online last Tuesday, 12th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Like you I have signed on as a new customer from Energia (was under contract til September at a 15% below standard rate so it's a no-brainer to jump). In the letter I received the Offer code is DG2 NSAV AFF Fixed Elec 12 Mar 24 NB which I presume means I'm fixed on the BWG rate until 12th March next year. I have a standard day/night meter which has not been swapped out yet for a Smart one.

I'm waiting to see if Energia call and make a retention offer. A discount of 31% and the combination of higher microgen and lower standing charge might sway me to stay with a non-fixed plan although as noted by others I think it might be prudent to stick with fixed and if the market drops further just break out of contract again if its worth it.

[Edit] Oops I just noticed that the contract says fixed discount so my base units can go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

I did switch to a smart meter but never activated it and was not on a smart meter plan so I assume that Ok? I went with the standard 24 hour option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Exactly, worse case scenario, pay €50 breakage fee if something much better comes along.

• Advertisement

I think the fact that they offered it to you means you were on the standard plan. Those new customers on smart plans seem to be only getting a call customer service message when they try to apply. Your offer code should look similar to mine but the last two letters probably indicate the type of connection (just guessing this bit) which as you say is the 24 hour plan.

No the base units are fixed as you are on a fixed contract, the only figure that can change is the PSO levy, it says it in the next sentence. Flogas could rewrite that letter as it's quite confusing, it looks like a generic letter from before they introduced the fixed price deals with the sentence added in, maybe we'll have a referendum on it☺️

Yep ageing eyesight also a factor 😳

Would also be handy if they explicitly stated the current rates in the letter I think Energia did this in their welcome letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

That's about the size of it. This current deal is better than my BGE plan but only by about €30. Not worth my time switching but maybe when I get closer to renewal it might be. I'd expect another round of price cuts in the next couple of months but they are also coming with longer lead time than previously.

I agree, they should tell you what you're paying, ironically they state clearly what you've paid all year when your contract is ending but don't say what your rate will be when the contract expires 😏. At the end of the day I was very happy with the fixed price over the winter and am very happy with this new price I think a lot of the other providers could learn from this business model. People like fixed prices for utilities, VM is my next battle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

I'm thinking of switching my electricity to the BWG offer for new customers.

I'm currently with Energia and it's a saving of about 33 percent for peak rates, I presume it's a no brainer??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Just checked and I'm on DG1 24hr Fixed Elec 12 Feb 24 NB.

I assume that's the correct BWG offer for Dual Fuel New Business...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I haven't got a welcome letter saying that I'm under contract for BWG yet but I have got a bill from Flogas this morning with my price adjusted to BGW rates from March 10th which is when I signed up. No 50 euro fee listed for break of contract with the community plan which was up in August.

Absolutely delighted!

Thank you to the OP who posted about the deal and to everyone who replied to my Qs here and helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi... what offer are you looking at. Am an Electric Ireland customer and am looking at switching.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Exactly the same boat as you. CP which was in contract till August. And also a bill here the other day with last 3 days at the new BWG rate . So:

1) Is this a Fight Club type situation where I have a second version of me coexisting with me?

2) My thanks as well to the original posters here for the offer!

Advertisement